His Proposal - 105

October 2016

Jai pulls his black Audi r8 into the garage of the condo complex. He parks his car next to Nate's. "Your brother is home early." He unbuckles his belt. "The coach told me that practice is until five." He steps out of the car and opens the door for me.

I step out of the car and hold his hand as we walk up to the building. "Maybe, Nate is sick or there's no practice today."

The door to the building opens and we walk in. We walk past the security guy and take the lift to the top floor. We step out of the lift and walk past six doors before Jai stops and puts the keys into the door.

"Jai, is this Nate's condo?"

He shakes his head. "I brought this a couple of days after Nate moved in. I told him he can keep the condo. It's best for him to have a place where he can study. When I was in college it was hard for me to concentrate when I was living in a frat house. All they ever did was drink, talk shit, and get laid. The coach told me that Nate is doing well in his classes and he's impressed with the way you're brothers been playing." Jai opens the door to the condo.

As I'm about to step inside a door across from us opens and Teresa steps out. She fixes her shirt. She stops when she sees me and her face pales. "Chloe?"

A smile spreads across my face. "Teresa," I look at the door. "Did you have fun with my brother?"

She puts her bag over her shoulder. "Nate's at practice."

"His car is in the parking lot."

She shows me the keys. "Nate, lets me drive his car. I have to drop his keys off before I go to class. That way he will have a way to get home instead of waiting for me to finish the class."

I touch her arm. "How come you're not living on campus?"

She looks away from me. "My roommate got me thrown out of the dorm room when she couldn't get a date with Nate. She lied to the RA and she believed everything she said and I was told to pack my things. Nate was happy when I got kicked out. He left the room I had the way it was. He was going to ask me to leave the dorms anyway. Apparently, he was lonely living here on his own."

Arms wrap around me and I'm pulled against a strong chest. I look at the tanned arms of my fiancé and a smile spreads across my face.

Jai whispers. "Let the girl get to class. We catch up with Nate and her later." He smiles at her. "Get to class before my girl makes you late." He kisses me. "I was thinking about going to the football field. Do you want to come with?"

"Sure," Jai locks the door and we make our way to the parking garage.

In the parking garage, Jai opens the door for me and I step into the car. He closes the door and rounds the car. He climbs in and starts the car. He pulls out of the garage.

***

At the university Jai parks his car close to Nate's.

Teresa steps out of the car and she gathers her books. She looks at her wrist. "Shit,"

I step out of the car and walk over to her. "What is it?"

"I don't have time to drop the keys off to Nate. If I do I won't be able to get in the classroom as my teacher locks the door when he enters the room. He doesn't give anyone a chance. I've never been late to class and I don't want to start now."

"I'll give it to him." I hold my hand out for her and she drops the keys into my palm.

"Thanks," she quickly walks towards her classroom.

Jai takes my hand and we head towards the field. "It feels weird to be walking around campus. It's been a long time since I've been to one."

A smile spreads across my face. "You will love being back on the field again. Won't you?"

"Yeah, I've been waiting a long time to actually stand on another one." He kisses my head. "I heard this team is going to be unstoppable this year. I hope the rumours are true."

The coach is standing in the middle of the field with his team around him. They are kneeling in front of the coach as he yells at them. A giggle escapes my mouth and the coach turns around. "Right on time." He turns to the group. "I have brought in a coach to help me on the night before and the night of your games. I want you all to welcome..." coach gets cut off by a guy.

"Jai Marshall, the best full back of the 49ers." He walks over to Jai and fist bumps him. "It's good to meet you, man. I'm Justin." The rest of the team walk over the Jai and they introduce themselves to him.

Nate stands away from the group.

Justin notices and he shoves Nate forward. "Don't be rude. Introduce yourself to the legend."

Jai walks over to him and ruffles his hair. "Hey, Nate."

Nate shoves him. "Get off me." Jai puts Nate in a headlock. Nate wraps his arms around Jai and slams him into the ground. "Let me go, Jai."

Jai laughs and lets him go. "Show me what you've got, bro."

Justin looks at Nate. "Bro?"

Nate rises and he looks at his teammates. He points at me. "Everyone this is my big sister, Chloe Knight and Jai is her fiancé."

"Damn," Justin mumbles. "If I knew you were related to this legend I would have been nicer to you."

Nate shakes his head. "No, you wouldn't have. You would have been a fake person that would use me to help you go pro. You know not everyone can go pro. You can know enough pro player, but that doesn't mean they can get you onto a team. You have to do the work yourself." He walks over to me and gives me a hug. "How have you been, sis?"

Coach yells. "Enough chit-chat it's time for practice. Show Mr Marshall what you've got."

My legs start to hurt and I look over at the bleachers. "I'm going over to the bleachers."

"Alright, sweetie," he kisses the top of my head and the football players whistle. He turns back to the boys. "Get moving,"

I walk over to the bleachers. I take off the shoes I'm wearing and rub my feet. I lean my head back and enjoy the sun as it shines on me.

A shadow blocks the sun. I keep my eyes closed. "Hey, you're blocking the sun."

"Good," Jai replies. "Maybe, it will get you to open your eyes. Football practice is over. We can go home now."

Nate jogs over to us. "I don't have my car. Can you drive me home?"

I go through my purse until I find his car keys. "Teresa gave them to me. She told me you let her drive your car."

"Yeah, that's right. She needs transport to school. Her classes start later than mine, so she drops me off. I pick her up at her last class at nine and take her home.

***