His Proposal - 49

Jai's POV

Spending the day with Aleysa was fun. She showed me how to make cupcakes and they are sitting on the counter cooling down.

Aleysa looks at me. "We can put the icing on the cakes before Chloe gets here at six." She rises from the table. "Thanks for helping me make the cupcakes."

Smiling at her, I say. "You're welcome. You taught me something that I didn't know how to cook. I supposed your mother taught you?"

She nods. "Mom used to teach me a lot of things." She looks at the photo on the wall that was taken over the weekend.

Aleysa is one teaching me things.

She walks over to me and hugs me. "Thanks for getting Chloe back to work. She looked miserable sitting around the house all day with me."

I hope she didn't really feel miserable by being at home with Aleysa.

Nate walks through the front door with a few of his friends and they walk over to the fridge. "Hey, Jai. I want you to meet the guys that I'm working on the assignment with." He points to the guys. "Frank, Jasper, Gordan and Thomas." He points to me. "This is my sister's boyfriend..."

Jasper cuts him off. "Jai Marshall, we know who he is. He was a great football player until he got injured. He started up a bunch of nightclubs called 'Lusive.'

I'm impressed that this kid knows who I am.

He walks over to me and extends his hand. "It's nice to meet you, Mr Marshall."

Shaking his hand, I say. "Please, call me Jai. It makes me feel old if you call me that."

Nate looks at the table. "Did Aleysa make those?"

"She asked me to help as well. I hope they taste great."

Nate smiles. "They will. She was taught to make this by Mom." He walks over to the stool and he climbs onto it. "I remember the first time Aleysa helped Mom make it."

Aleysa climbs into my lap. "I love it when he tells stories."

Nate spins around on his chair and faces me. "It was Aleysa's sixth birthday and Mom wanted to make something for Aleysa. So, she asked Aleysa what she wanted for a cake and Aleysa said that she wanted cupcakes. Chocolate cupcakes were her favourite back then."

Aleysa looks at her brother. "They are still my favourite." She points at the table. "Chocolate cupcakes are on the table behind you."

"Yeah, yeah," he rises. "Back to the story. Mom put the ingredients on the table and she measured things out for you. You put it in a bowl and somehow managed to spill some flour on the linoleum floor. You walked over to the cupboard to get two eggs and then when you walked back the mixture you slipped on the floor. An egg flew out of your hands as you landed on your butt hard, the second egg you had was crushed under her hand." he starts laughing. "The egg that flew into the sky landed on your head and it broke. You should have seen the yolk that fell down your face." he shakes his head. "Aleysa pulled off the yolk and she threw it at me, instead of it hitting me, it hit Dad who walked into the kitchen after a long day at work."

I laugh.

I don't think Mr Knight would have been too impressed with that.

Everyone in the kitchen is laughing including Aleysa.

Aleysa shakes her head. "Thanks for sharing the story of five years ago." She looks at the ground. "I hope I can be here to celebrate my thirteenth birthday."

After that, the room falls silent.

Wrapping my arms around her, I ask. "When do you turn thirteen?"