His Proposal - 46

Walking into the cancer ward I make my way over to where Jai and Aleysa are sitting. I see them laughing at something on the phone.

Jai looks at me. "Why aren't you upstairs eating in the cafeteria?"

Showing him my phone, I say. "This guy gave me the creeps while I was up there. He just pulled out the chair across from me and started to talk to me. I didn't feel comfortable up there after that."

He takes the phone from me and looks at the picture. "Damn it." Jai rises. "I will take care of this." He walks away.

Does he know who the guy is?

Taking a seat I look at the clear bag hanging on the metal pole and see that it's nearly all gone.

Kathy walks over and looks at the bag. "It looks like you'll be able to leave soon. I will check back on you in fifteen minutes."

Opening the bag of chips I offer some to Aleysa.

She takes some chips from the bag and places it into her mouth. "Is Jai coming back?"

Touching her hand, I say. "I'm sure he will be back after he sorts out the guy I met in the cafeteria."

 Pulling the car in front of the mansion, I climb out and open the door for Aleysa

Pulling the car in front of the mansion, I climb out and open the door for Aleysa. I help her out of the car and slam the door shut.

Jai runs over to her and lifts her up. "Where am I taking you?"

"To the kitchen." She looks at me. "Chloe is giving me a haircut."

He turns towards me and mouths. "Really?"

I nod.

"Off to the kitchen we go." He carries her into the house.

When I get to the kitchen I see a shaver and a pair of scissors on the counter. I pick up the scissors and start cutting Aleysa's hair.

She looks at the hair on the ground, "I'm going to miss my hair, Chloe."

I stop cutting and swing the chair towards me. "I can stop cutting if you want me to? If you do, I can even your hair out and call it a day?"

Aleysa shakes her head. "My hair is going to fall out anyway. I'd rather lose it this way than it gradually coming out. Can you please keep cutting it?"

Picking up the scissors I cut it some more. I put the scissors down and then pick up the shaver. I put it at the top of her head and begin to shave it.

Nate walks into the kitchen when I'm halfway done with her hair and he screams. "What are you doing, Chloe?"

Turning towards him with the shaver in my hand, I say. "I'm giving my sister a haircut. She asked for one and I'm giving it to her."

He shakes his head. "I don't like it, Chloe. Why do you have to listen to people? All it's ever done is cause problems for the people around you." Nate walks out the back door.

Aleysa holds my hand. "He was there when Mom told me that I should never cut my hair. I agreed with her. Since she died and I got sick again. I thought it was time for a change."

"You don't need to explain it to me, sis." I look at the door. "I will talk to him shortly. He needs to calm down right now." I shave the rest of her hair. "You're done, Aleysa." I pull a pink bandana out of my handbag and give it to her. "I got this for you."

Aleysa looks at it. "It's pretty. Can you put it on me, please?"

I put it on her head and tie it up. I kiss her forehead. "You look pretty."

She smiles. "Thank you, Chloe." Aleysa walks over to the cupboard and she sweeps up her hair and puts it in the bin.

Jai walks back into the kitchen and he looks around. "Where's Nate? I need to talk to him?"

"Nate's outside. He's upset that I cut, Aleysa's hair."

Jai hugs me. "He will get used to it."

I hope so. I didn't want to hurt him with doing what Aleysa wanted me to do.

Picking up the scissors and the shaver, I take them with me to the bathroom and plug in the shaver. "You're not going to go through this alone, Aleysa." I tie my hair in a ponytail and cut it.

Aleysa walks into the bathroom. She stops at the door. "What are you doing, Chloe?"

Smiling at her. "I made a promise to you last night. That I will shave my hair and I don't break my promises." I touch her face. "I love you, Aleysa."

Aleysa hugs me. "Thanks for not letting me deal with this alone. You're the best sister that anyone could ever ask for."

Sitting on the toilet, I say. "Aleysa, I want you to shave my head." I give her the shaver.

"Are you, sure?"

"Yes,"

Aleysa takes the shaver off me and she places it on my head. She moves it down and I watch my hair fall to the ground.

 Aleysa and I spend some time upstairs until we hear

Aleysa and I spend some time upstairs until we hear. "Dinner's ready." She touches the purple bandana on my head. "Purple suits you, sis."

I smile. "Pink is your colour." I take my phone out of my bag. "We should take a selfie."

Aleysa puts her head next to mine and I take the picture of us. "Show me."

Showing her the phone she smiles. "Do you like it?"

"I love it. Can you upload it to Facebook? I want people to see us." She takes my hand. "You can upload it downstairs." We walk to the kitchen.

Nate and Jai have their backs turned toward us. Aleysa and I sit down as the boys bring dinner to the table.

Jai turns towards me and drops the plate he was holding. He looks at Aleysa and then me. His mouth opens and closes a few times.

He's speechless. Well, that's a first.

Nate looks at me. "Are we all going to shave our heads now?"

Shaking my head, I say. "You don't have to if you don't want. I wanted to show Aleysa that I love her and that I would sacrifice something for her."

Nate hugs Aleysa and then me. "Can you cut my hair? I don't want Aleysa to go through this alone." He looks at Jai. "Jai, made me see that she was going to lose her hair and she didn't want it to gradually fall out. She would have had short hair later on."

"After dinner, I will cut your hair." I turn towards Jai. "Do you want a hair cut?"

Jai looks at Aleysa. "Sure, I don't want to be the odd one out since everyone else is getting their hair cut."

Pulling out two blue bandanas I show it to them. "I brought these in case."