Bonus chapter 2: Keeping a schedule

It's been a week since I brought Paige home from the hospital. She's still small and it takes a lot out of her to eat. So, I have learnt to be patient with my daughter.

Veronica sits across from me as I breastfeed. She opens the magazine and begins reading it until I need her help.

Jai walks into the living room and he looks at her. "Mom, it's been great having you here, but it's time for you to go. Chloe and I will try to keep to the schedule you gave us."

Veronica rises and moves over to her son. "I'll be leaving in the morning, Jai. I called for a driver this morning." She kisses Paige's head. "I knew you two were ready to do this yourself. I was waiting for someone to tell me that I could go home. I have been missing Ricky since I've been here."

"Dad could have stayed here too."

She shakes her head. "You're Dad's got a new job and he was needed back there." She walks up the stairs and a few seconds later a door to the bedroom closes.

Jai sits next to me. "Do you think I was harsh on her?"

I shake my head. "No, like she told you she was waiting for us to tell her that she's done her job and that it's time for us to be parents to Paige without another person interfering without a daughter." I look at my daughter as she pulls away from my breast and she's asleep in my arms.

I'll have to stay up a little longer.

"Leila and Ace are coming around tomorrow. They want to ask us something."

I look at him. "What do you think it is?"

"Maybe, they want us to be apart of their wedding." Jai wraps his arms around me and I nestle against him.

"I hope they can make it further than we can." I look at my daughter in my arms.

Jai looks at her as well. "I can't wait for her to walk. The second she does. Where picking a date and I'm marrying you. This time there will be nothing standing in our way."

A smile spreads across my face. "I'm looking forward to that." I rise and take our daughter to her room.

Jai follows me to the bedroom and per usual he takes her from me and places her in the cot. He kisses her cheek. "Goodnight, beautiful girl. I will see you later," he wraps his arms around me and we walk out of the room.

***

The next morning I'm woken to my daughter crying in the room next to ours. I feel the shift as Jai climbs out of bed. "I'll get her. You should sleep a bit longer." The door to the room opens and closes.

Paige stops crying.

I turn towards the clock on the nightstand I see that it's 8:39 am. Paige let us sleep a bit longer this morning. Which is a first. Most mornings we have been woken at five. So, today was a change.

Veronica is leaving today. I should get up and make some breakfast.

Throwing the blankets off I climb out bed and walk into the bathroom. I brush my hair and wash my face before I walk down to the stairs and start on breakfast.

The front door opens and closes. I look up from the pancake batter and see Leila and Ace standing there."

Ace looks at the mix. "Do you have enough for me?"