His Proposal - 27

Jai puts a plate of food on the table in front of me. "Brunch is served. This is one of the breakfasts that Mom taught me to cook."

I look at the stack of pancakes on the plate and my stomach begins to rumble. Jai sits across from me with two plates. He shares the pancakes evenly between the two plates.

On the table, he has strawberries, honey, and jam. I put jam on the pancakes and then I fold it.

Jai looks at me and laughs. "Do you really eat pancakes like that?" I nod. "You do know that the jam drips off the pancakes that way.

Smiling, I say. "I do, but I'm not going to change the way I eat my pancakes because you prefer strawberries, honey and using a knife and fork."

He looks at me. "Mom taught me to be a man. She also told me that woman aren't objects that you use and discard. They deserve to be loved and cherished." Jai smiles. "Dad is still like that with Mom to this day."

She sounds like a great woman. I'm looking forward to meeting her.

"You admire him don't you?"

"I do. It's thanks to him that I decided to run and open seclusive bars around Los Angeles. He had contacts out here and they helped find places for the club. The first bar I opened was close to the Hollywood walk of Fame. I let a close friend of mine manage that bar. I still make a lot of money from that bar, but they also let anyone walk in off the streets. With the one, you found it's not that easy to get in." He shakes his head. "I wasn't impressed that the back door was left open in the club, but I'm glad it lead you to me."

"Me, too. When's the family barbecue at your parents?"

Jai's face pales. "I forgot about that." He rubs the back of his head. "The party is this weekend. I have to tell my parents that I can't make it."

Touching his hand. "We'll be there, Jai. If we have to we'll take my brother and sister. That's if Aleysa is released during the week. Nate is right that she can't stay in the hospital forever."

He moves over to me and pulls me into his lap. "My family are going to love your siblings especially Aleysa."

"I don't want them to know that she's got cancer. Can we keep that to ourselves?"

"We'll tell them anything you like." He whispers. "Have you finished yet?"

I nod. "Can we go shopping now?"

"Sure," he takes my hand and we walk out of the house. He opens the car door for me and I climb in. He waits for me to sit before closing the door. He rounds the car and climbs into the driver's seat.

 At the supermarket, Jai parks the car and we climb out

At the supermarket, Jai parks the car and we climb out. He holds my hand as we walk through the door. He looks at me. "How are you feeling?"

I sigh. "I feel a bit dizzy, but I'll be able to get the necessities now."