His Proposal - 56

"Chloe," Aleysa yells as she's taken out of the room with Jai.

Crawling on my stomach I head to where I last saw my brother. Touching Nate's hand I say. "We need to get out of here." My eyes start to sting from the chemicals that were in the small devices that were thrown into the house.

Nate starts to crawl on his stomach.

Through the smoke, I see a group of guys with masks on and there are red lights coming from guns. Touching Nate's leg and he stops moving. I crawl next to him and whisper. "I want you to find Jai and Aleysa.

He shakes his head. "I'm not leaving you, Chloe."

"You have to. I need you to take care of Aleysa while I'm gone."

"No," he yells.

"Get out of here!" I rise and move over to the guys with the guns. "I surrender. Please, leave my family alone." I say with enough confidence that I don't really feel.

Someone grabs my arm. "That's a noble thing you're doing, princess, but the boss wants the entire Knight Family." A guy whispers. "He's going to be surprised when we tell him that we got the famous Carter McCafferty. He wasn't expecting the ambush. Family is that guy's weakness." He cuffs my hands behind my back and leads me out the back door.

Stepping over my cousin's body that's lying on the porch.

Carter looks up at me. "I'm sorry," he mouths.

I am picked up and thrown over a guy's shoulder.

He places me in the trunk of a car. He looks at me. "If you cooperate things will go easy for you."

Laughing, without any humour to it. "Says a criminal that killed my aunt, uncle, cousins and parents. There's one thing you need to know about me..."

He leans closer to me. "What's that, princess?"

"I'm not going to fucking cooperate with you. When I get free I will become your worst nightmare."

He laughs. "You wouldn't harm a fly, princess. Thanks for the laugh." He slams the trunk shut.

Feeling around trunk I find something sharp and grasp it in my hand. I move the object until it's under me and slide it into my boots.

I'm going to need that later.

The trunk is opened again and someone else is thrown in here with me.

"Chloe?"

The trunk is slammed shut again.

"Carter, can you get out of the cuffs?"

Carter's breaths are heavy. "Yes, but I'm going to have to break my wrist to make that happen. You're going to hear a crack soon and then I'm going to get us out of here."

"Wait, Carter," I try to look through the darkness of the trunk. "I want some answers before you break your wrist."

"Okay,"

"Who are these guys?"

"They are Martin's Mafia Family. They have been after our family for over a hundred years."