His Proposal - 106

It's Friday night, the night of my brothers big game for his college team. He told me before we dropped him off that he was nervous and that the entire team is counting on him to help them win. Nate's become popular with the team since they found out that he was going to be the brother-in-law of Jai Marshall.

A bunch of recruiters heard that Jai was helping coach this team and a few have come to watch tonight's game. If the team win tonight there could be job opportunities for him that involves the sport he loves the most. Jai loves his bar, but his true passion is football.

Teresa sits next to me. "Hey, Chloe. Do you mind if I sit with you?"

I turn towards her. "Sure, but why aren't you hanging with people your own age?"

She puts her soft drink and popcorn on the ground. "They don't like me."

Six girls walk into the stand and people watch them as they take their seat next to Teresa.

The first girl has dyed blonde hair, she has re-growth showing, her skin is an orange colour. She looks at Teresa and I. "What are you two doing here? You can't sit here if you don't know anyone on the team."

I rise and look her straight in the eye. "I know someone on the team." I point to Teresa. "She is dating someone from the team. He is playing his first game tonight and he's also related to Jai Marshall."

She looks away from me. "Nate Knight? You're related to him?"

"Yes, he's my brother and Jai is my fiancé." I touch my stomach and turn back to the football field with a smile on my face.

Jai and Nate look our way. Teresa and I wave at them.

Jai jogs over to the fence. He stops in front of me. "Are you going to kiss me for good luck?"

I shrug. "Depends, do you really need it?" I look over at my brother and his team. "You're not playing ball."

He laughs. "I know, but maybe if you kiss me the boys will have a chance at beating the other team." Jai pouts.

He's not as good as me when it comes to pouting. It's cute to see him try though.

I move over to the fence and I pull him close to me. My lips touch his.

Jai slips his tongue into my mouth. He controls the kiss and I wrap my arms around him. He pulls away slowly. "Thanks, firecracker." He winks and then runs back across the field.

I hear the team yell stuff at him as he sits next to the coach.

Teresa smiles. "I wish Nate was like that in public with me, but he wants to keep me to himself."

I laugh. "Nate cares about you. He just doesn't know how to show affection to someone he cares deeply for. My parents kissed and hugged in front of us all the time. I think all the affectionate stuff left with them. He just needs time to move on from our parents. The longer he stays with you, the sooner he will give into you." I whisper. "Keep doing whatever it is you're doing. It's working."

The game starts and I turn my attention back to the field.

Jai rises and he yells stuff at the team. They acknowledge him with a nod. He sits back on the seat.

Nate has the ball and he runs down the field.

"Go, Nate." Teresa and I yell.

Nate keeps running down the field. He passes the ball to another player and he runs down the field. He scores a touchdown for the team.

That touchdown was supposed to be Nate's. He could have made it down the entire field if he wanted too. I've seen him do that at home.

Teresa touches my arm. "He has the rest of the game to show everyone what he can do, but the move of him passing the ball was great. He knew another guy would have tackled him. There was a guy approaching him from the left. Nate has a good eye for detail."

Of course, he has a good eye for detail. He got that from our parents.

Nate's team has the ball again and the guy that scored the touchdown has the ball. He runs down the field. He looks around for someone to throw the ball to.

Nate is standing too far from him and he offloads the ball to my brother. Nate catches the ball and he runs down the field.

A guy from the opposing team runs at him and Nate jumps over him. Nate continues his run down the field and he gets a touchdown.

The crowd around us are going wild.

Teresa hugs me. She jumps up and down. "He did."

The six girls look at us and they have smiles on there faces.

It looks like they approve of Teresa. I hope she can make friends with those girls. At first glance, they may seem like...

I'm cut out of my thoughts as a guy runs down the field and tackles a guy on Nate's team.

"Nate," Teresa yells. She jumps over the fence and runs across the field.

Jai looks at me and he shakes his head. That's his way of telling me not to do what Teresa did.

I pick up my handbag and make my way to the parking lot. I see an ambulance parked next to the change rooms.

Nate is carried on a stretcher and loaded in the ambulance. He has his eyes closed.

Jai touches Teresa's arm. "Let Chloe go with her brother. You will see her at the hospital." They run over to the car.

I climb into the ambulance with my brother. "Nate, open your eyes. I can't lose you like I lost the rest of our family."

Nate opens his eyes and looks at me. "You're not going to lose me, Chloe." He reaches for my hand and I place it in his. "You're stuck with me forever."

The ambulance pulls onto the road and they rush us to the hospital.

***

At the hospital, they take my brother for a CT scan to make sure his head is fine. On the way to the hospital, he was complaining about his shoulder.

I hope that he's not injured. He's going to hate being off the field. Football is the only sport that makes him feel alive.

Jai and Teresa walk through the doors of the hospital and they rush over to me. "Nate said his shoulder hurts on the way here and they are going to give him a CT scan.

The waiting area is flooded with paparazzi and they take photos of the three of us.

Teresa holds my hand. "Why are they here?"

Jai looks at her. "They are here because Nate, Chloe and I are. We attract attention. Mostly, this attention is for Nate as he's the next big thing for football." He pulls me into his arms. "Those scouts were there for Nate and they made an offer for me too. If the player comes they get a new coach."

***