His Proposal - 57

Carter POV

Waking up at six and all I want to do was see my cousin again. While I was hiding I watched her from afar and I hated knowing that she was living our dream on her own. New York was something that we wanted to do together, but that all changed when my family were ran off the road when we were heading home from visiting Chloe.

I get changed and take my keys off the bedside table. I put them in my pocket and head out the door. I walk toward my car and put the key in the ignition. I start the car and head in the direction of my cousin's place.

When I get to the Marshall's house I pull the car to the side of the road. I lock my car and climb over the Iron Gate that surrounds the house. I walk up to the house. I see Ethan's car pull into the driveway as I walk up to the front door.

He climbs out of his car and he looks at me. "Hey, Carter. What are you doing here?"

Looking at him, I say. "I'm here to see my cousin. I showed myself to her last night and I wanted to see her." I knock on the door.

Chloe opens the door and looks at us. "Do you two know each other?"

Ethan looks at her. "Can we talk about this outside?" He looks into the house. "I don't want Jai to know that I work for Carter and not him."

Chloe walks out of the house and shuts the door. She walks over to the stairs and sits. "I'm waiting for your answer, Ethan."

He takes a seat next to her. "I have known Carter for three years. He gave me my first job and that involved me following you around New York. I owned the apartment building you were living in. I moved here a couple of months before you did. I had a job lined up with Jai. Jai hired his security team through McCafferty Industries."

Chloe turns towards me. "That's your company?"

"It is. Your parents invested in the company without knowing it. I went through the investors and I found there name on the list. I noticed last week that the investors name changed over to yours."

"I didn't know my parents had money to do that. It feels like I didn't know them at all."

Sitting next to her I hold her hand. "You're parents have invested a lot of money. They didn't want people to know how wealthy they were. They also hated the idea of you becoming a my

Chloe hits my arm. "That's not nice. She was always nice to me."

Yeah, because of your family.

"You're family. She had to be nice to you, but to everyone else, she acted like a rich bitch that thought everyone should bow down to her."

The front door opens and Jai walks out. He looks between the three of us. "What are you all doing out here?"

Ethan rises and walks over to Jai. "I need to tell you something, Jai."

"No, you don't," Jai says. He looks at me. "I know you work for Carter. After all, I did hire you from McCafferty Industries. I just didn't know how well you knew Carter."

Ethan looks at Chloe. "As soon as I saw you walk through the door of Lusive I called your cousin. It was then that he asked me to follow you again. The day I saw you at the hospital with your sister was the day that I followed you there."

Chloe looks at Ethan and I. "I'm going inside. I would invite you in, but I think that would be a bad idea." She grabs Jai's hand and pulls him into the house.

"Chloe," I say.

Chloe shuts the door.

Ethan and I look at each other before we make our way down the stairs. At the corner of my eye, I see someone sneak around back.