His Proposal - 5

Last night a nurse walked into the room after visiting hours and said to us. "You need to leave," I told her that I wasn't going to leave my sister alone at the hospital.

She pointed at Nate and said. "What about him?"

I told her that he was going to stay as well and that I'm the guardian of them after my parents died.

"I'm sorry about your parent's. I'll get two cots for you both." She walked out of the room and returned a couple of minutes later with two cots and set it up in the room for us.

After the cots are set up she walked out of the room and closed the door.

The last thing on my mind before I fall asleep is: It's now my turn to look after my siblings and provide for them just like Mom and Dad did. They did their best raising us and they were the best parent's.

I wish I had someone to lean on for help. But, that's hard since both my parent's families are gone and there's just my brother, sister and I left in the Knight Family.

Closing my eyes I fall asleep.

I'm standing in front of a mansion with my parents. It has a swing on the porch and next to that is a bassinet made out of straw.

A baby starts crying and the older woman stands up. She picks up the baby and says soothing words. The baby starts crying.

Mom is the first person to walk up the stairs and heads over to the woman. "Hey, Mom. Thanks for looking after my son."

A smile spreads across the woman's face. "I would do anything for my daughter." She looks around and then her eyes collide with mine. "Is that, Chloe?"

"Yes, Mom. That's my daughter. Sorry, I didn't bring her over sooner. She's been busy with her father. You know how training is."

"That I do." She hands the baby over to Mom and walks into the house. Opening the door, she says. "Don't stand there, child. Come inside."

I follow her inside and see all this fancy stuff lying around the house. There's a box on the table and it's been wrapped up. "Is that for me?"

"Yes," she gives it to me. "Open it."

Opening the present I see a beautiful necklace that's made out of gold and it has a 'C' on it.

The dream moves to another one and it feels real.

I was about six years old when my Grandfather gave me a gun. He showed me how to use it and said. "You're going to need to know all these skills because someday you're going to be the one to bring our family out of hiding.

To this day I still don't know what he means by 'I will be the only one from our family to bring the rest of us out of hiding.' Why would they be hiding? What has my family gotten themselves into?

The sun shines into the room at 7:30 am and I am woken by it. I see Nate stir and then opens his eyes.

Nate yawns. He looks at the clock in the corner of the room. "I have to go to school." He climbs out of bed. "I don't want to miss another day. Can you write me a note?"

"Sure," I pull out a piece of paper and write a letter to the school with the reason why he had the day off yesterday. Looking at him I say. "I need you to come here right after school. I have to look for a job."

"Okay, can I have some money for lunch?"

I pull money out of my wallet and give it to him. "Be back no later than 3:30 pm. I know you like to hang out with your mates, once school lets out."