His Proposal - 83

I slam the paper on the table in front of Jai. "Read the front page." I walk away from him.

***

I need to get out of this house.

Walking to my room I grab my handbag and put it over my shoulder. I walk out the door and unlock the door to Jai's red Mazda mx5-2016 sports car. I climb in and put the key in the ignition. I pull out of the driveway and just drive.

When I look at where I'm going I see that I'm close to Santa Barbara Pier. I look for a parking spot and park my car.

Aleysa used to like coming here a lot. Her favourite ride was the Ferris Wheel.

I'm going to spend the day riding the Ferris Wheel.

At least I will be away from everything that's going to be happening at the house with the article in the paper about Jai's Proposal.

Locking the car I walk over to the Ferris Wheel. I line up and wait for my turn.

It's not crowded here today. It was a couple of days ago when Aleysa passed away.

The guy looks at me. "Are you with anyone?"

Shaking my head, I say.n"It's just me." I move to the seat and I sit.

The guy puts the bar over me. "Hold on tight, Miss." He takes a double look at me. "You're here aren't you?"

I frown. "Who?"

"The girl from the paper? The one that signed a Proposal with Jai Marshall."

"No, that's not me."

He ignores me and moves the ride up.

Damn it. He's going to let people know that I'm here. I was hoping to have a quiet day alone.

I look around at all the people below as the Ferris Wheel goes around. When I'm at the top the ride stops and I can see the beach.

It's beautiful from up here. Now, I know why my sister loves riding on this.

Looking at the vacant spot next to me. "I wish you were here, Aleysa." I close my eyes and imagine that I'm next to my sister and it's like I can hear her tell me that she's here and that she's not going to leave my side.

Aleysa was an amazing girl. Her life was short-lived, but I'm glad that I got to spend time with her.

I got the opportunity to know her. I just wished that I went to a school closer to home. My life could have been different if I stayed in Los Angeles instead of travelling to New York.

The email alert on my phone goes off and I look at the message.

From: Harry Wilson
To: chloeknight@gmail.com

Job

Dear Chloe

I heard about your sister and I would like to send my deepest apologies for your loss. However, the last time we spoke I told you that I could keep a position in my office available in Los Angeles. I was wondering if you still want the job?

From

Harry

Yes, I'd love to work for my old boss again. I miss the office environment.

I reply to the message.

From: Chloe Knight
To: hwilson@gmail.com