I Think I'm Out of Salt ~ Garth Fitzgerald

I grew up in a small town. In that small town, nothing seemed to ever happen. I always hated that it was never as exciting as it was on TV when I knew that there were creatures out there.
My father had come from a hunting family, so I was well educated on the subject of supernatural beings. He died shortly after I turned twelve, so my mother took that as a chance to get away from all of it. But you never really can leave it behind.

At the moment, I was tied to a chair in the middle of an old warehouse. There was a piece of duct tape covering my mouth, preventing me from speaking. It didn't stop me from trying, though. There was no one to hear my mumbling, anyway; I was alone in a dimly lit room. Pretty cliché, huh?
A door slammed, making my heart rate pick up. He was back. 'He' was a man that I wish I had never trusted.
A lean body strutted over to me. As he got closer, I saw his distinctive features. His strong jaw line, his shining blond hair, his bright green eyes. He was a man that I had known for nearly a year, but I had never been able to see what he really was. He was no man at all; he was a demon.
"It's nice to see that you haven't run off yet, Sophie," Elijah smirked, crossing his pale arms. He ripped the tape off my mouth, making my lips and the skin around them burn.
"Yeah, well," I started, attempting to shrug, "I'm a little tied up right now."
"Always were the funny one," he said, more to himself than to me, "Do you like my meat suit? Quite handsome, I think. Devilishly, you could say."
I rolled my eyes and glared at him, trying to mask my fear. "Oh yeah, you're real clever. Is that what you do in your spare time? Come up with pathetic puns?"
His smirk disappeared and his expression went cold. His eyes were like two icy emeralds as they burned into mine.
"We should get this show on the road. I have other...appointments," he told me, turning around.
I bit my tongue to prevent myself from making another remark, knowing that it would do more harm than good.
He took something from his pocket and turned it around in his hands. The way he was standing prevented me from seeing exactly what it was, but I had a feeling that it was not good.
Facing me again, his smirk returned to his face. In his hands was a sharp blade. It was an ordinary knife, but that didn't do much to calm my heart down. I was only human, so it could easily end my life.
"It's a shame, really," he said, approaching me. He moved a strand of my black hair with the tip of the blade, waiting for me to flinch away. It took a lot of self control, but I managed to stay still. "Such a pretty face. Too bad you're just too nosy for your own good," he went on, circling my chair. He stopped and gripped my shoulders, making me tense. "I don't like snoops," he whispered menacingly in my ear.
A second later, the door busted open. A tall, scrawny man stood in the doorway with his gun raised at Elijah. His sandy brown hair was short and messy, and his green eyes darted around the room. Unlike Elijah's green orbs, his were kind.
It was silent for a moment as we all remained still. Elijah eventually spoke up, "Is this the best they could do? The hunters sent a rookie to take me down?" he laughed and relaxed his hold on my shoulders.
"I'm no rookie," the man told us, cocking the gun. His voice was strong and his hands didn't waver.
Elijah gripped my hair and pulled my head back, placing the blade near my throat. I clenched my eyes closed in fear.
"If you shoot, you could hit poor little Sophie," Elijah said, putting emphasis on my name. The man said nothing, taking a step forward. Elijah's grip tightened and his pressed the knife against my skin. The cold metal sent a shiver up my spine. "Take another step and I slit her throat," he threatened.
We were at a standstill once more. The man didn't dare come any closer, but Elijah made no move to kill me. It was all a game to him, after all, and he had eternity to drag it on.
My blue eyes locked with those of the stranger. Sending him a look I hoped he would understand, I pushed the balls of my feet against the ground and leaned back, making the chair fall. Under the wooden seat, Elijah laid on the ground, stunned.
The man immediately rushed forward and pulled my chair off of Elijah. Out of his boot, the man removed a blade and handed it to me, then proceeded to fight the demon.
Within minutes, I cut the ropes that had bound my wrists and ankles. They had left nasty read marks, but they weren't raw to the point that they bled.
Gripping the knife in my hand, I looked to where the man was wrestling Elijah. He was pinned against a wall, looking for an opportunity to shoot the demon.
I thought back to when my father taught me about demons. I had to remember how to get rid of them. If I didn't, both the man and I could die very painfully.
Memories hit me like a ton of bricks, but I was able to sift through them and find the right one. Without even realizing it, the Latin words of an exorcism started to flow from my lips.
Elijah's head shot back, and a cloud of black smoke left his mouth, leaving his body to fall lifelessly to the floor. I rushed over to the innocent man and checked for a pulse, but there was none. Whoever this man was, he was dead.
"That was pretty good," the man spoke up, brushing himself off, "Where did you learn that?"
I paused a moment, taking the man in. Now that I wasn't in fear of my life, I noticed the finer details. He was quite attractive. Awkward and dorky, but the adorable kind of dorky.
"My dad," I answered. He extended his hand towards me. Placing my small hand in his large one, he pulled me to my feet. It was then that I noticed how tall he really was. He had to be at least six feet tall, whereas I didn't even reach five.
"I'm Garth, by the way," he told me, staring down at me, "Garth Fitzgerald the fourth."
His eyes never left mine. Something about him made me stare right back. Surprisingly, it seemed natural. It didn't feel weird at all.
"Sophie Nixon," I replied. It was then that I realized that my hand was still in his. I didn't say anything about it, though. It was quite cold in the warehouse and his hands were soft and warm.
"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty hungry. Do you, uh, maybe want to go get burger or something?" he asked nervously.
Smiling up at him, I nodded, "Sure."

We spent the next few hours at a diner, making easy conversations and cracking jokes. The atmosphere was really light considering that night's events.
As I finished telling a story, Garth began to laugh, but stopped when he let out a snort. As his cheeks turned pink, I laughed harder.
"That was adorable!" I exclaimed. Once I realized what I had said, I became silent too.
"Your laugh is pretty cute, too," he told me, reaching out and placing his hands over mine as they rested on the table. I intertwined our fingers and smiled up at him. He squeezed my hands gently, letting the corners of his mouth turn up in a grin.

Soon after, we left the diner. He had told me earlier that he would drive me to my apartment, so that was were we were headed. As we got closer, I realized that I didn't want to have to part with him.
When he pulled up outside of the front door, I hesitated to get out of the vehicle. He must have noticed for he took my left hand in his right and rubbed his thumb across the back of it.
He released my hand and opened his door, stepping out. Coming around to the passenger side, he opened my door and offered me a hand. Accepting it, I stood, and we made our way to the entrance of the apartment building.
It was silent between us. Without a second thought, I stood on my tippy toes and placed my hand on the back of his neck, pulling him down to my level. Our lips crashed together, and I swear it was the fourth of July.
One of his hands wrapped around my waist as the other cupped my face. They felt like fire on my skin, but that only made the moment better. Pulling back, I took a deep breath.
I thought for a moment, then spoke up, "Do you want to come inside? There could be another demon or something, and I think I'm out of salt."