I'm Sorry ~ Benny Lafitte

I saw Roy slowly enter the diner. Our eyes met, and I sent him a pleading look. I was silently pleading for him to go; I didn't want him to be here. The man that had tied me to this chair was hiding behind me with a knife. A very sharp knife.

     It had started when I had lent him my cell phone to make a call. While he was speaking, I had went to take his plate away, and he had grabbed my wrist tightly. I knew something was off about him. Why couldn't I have just trusted my gut feeling and left early or something instead of staying late to clean up?

     Roy's gaze never left mine, as if he was trying to reassure me that I was going to be okay. I didn't want Roy to get hurt. We had worked together at Guidry's Cajun Café for quite some time, and I had became very close to him. I had developed feelings for him, that I could not deny. He was a gentleman, which is hard to come by nowadays.

     "Lay down your arms, you unholy thing!" the man behind me yelled, jumping up from his crouched position behind me. He gripped my shoulder, making me tense up. He placed his knife against my throat. Roy spread his arms, showing that he was unarmed.

     "You got me here, now. Why don't you just let her go and walk away?" As he spoke, he was slowly approaching us.

     "I-I don't think so," the man stuttered out.

     "You realize I'm not asking," Roy replied, staring at him.

     "I realize that completely." He brought the knife closer to my neck, making me gasp.

     "Roy, what's going on?" I asked quietly, pushing myself as far away from the blade as I could.

     "It's okay, Abby. He ain't gonna hurt you," he told me, glancing down at me. He looked back up at the man, "ain't that right? Come on, now. I got no beef with you. You got no beef with me."

     "I got plenty of beef with your kind," the man raised his voice as Roy came closer.

     "All right. That may be so, but not for anything that happened here. I did not kill those people," Roy tried to convince him, still advancing.

     "I heard. You and Dean had a little Purgatory reunion. Touching," the man spat back.

     "Roy... please just tell me what's going on here," I spoke up, by eyes darting from the blade to his face. Roy didn't answer me.

     "Please. I'm asking you; do not do this. The bad guy is gone, okay?" he begged the man.

     "She doesn't know," his tone changed, "Benny," he growled. Benny?

     "Roy? Who's Benny?" I questioned.

     "Who's Benny? Let's find out, shall we?" The man crouched behind me again, bringing the knife dangerously close to my skin. A frightened cry escape my lips. He slid the blade across my neck, making a fair sized incision. I let out a loud gasp, then clenched my teeth as I began to quietly cry. I wouldn't die from it, but it hurt like hell and I was scared out of my wits.

     "Look! See?," he made me look at Roy, who was breathing heavily, "Dilated pupils, hair standing; signs of hunger!" Roy turned his back, trying to even his breathing. The man spoke to me, mocking Roy, "Don't worry. He won't feed off the woman he loves."

     "The woman he loves?" I questioned, my voice unsteady as tears streamed down my face.

     "Tell her, Benny. Tell her how you fell in love with a human. Tell her about all the dead you left behind. Tell her about the monster that you are!" the man yelled, standing again. He pointed the knife at Roy.

     At the man's last words, Roy seemed to calm considerably. When he turned, he looked guilty. The man gripped the shoulder of my cardigan.

     "What do you want?" Roy asked quietly.

     "Isn't it obvious? I want your head," he pulled out a machete with his other hand, "on a stake." I began to panic; he was going to kill Roy.

     Roy seemed to nod as he made his way over to the counter, laying his head down. I could see tears shine in his eyes. I shook my head as he stared into my eyes from where he was.

     "Roy no," I pleaded, wanting him to get up and say, 'Don't worry, love. I'm alright.' But he didn't.

     "I'm sorry," he whispered as the man approached him, raising his machete.

     "Well, hope they're saving a special place for you... wherever it is you come from," he leaped at Roy.

     "No!" I screamed, squeezing my eyes shut. I heard a thud and the sound of metal hitting the floor. The man shouted, I felt myself get splattered with an unknown liquid, then there was another thud.

     I opened my eyes to see Roy standing there, covered in blood. To my right, the man laid on the ground with a bloody neck. He was dead.

     "Roy..." I trailed off as he untied me. He shushed me, helping me stand. He began to walk away, so I tried a different approach, "Benny?"

     He froze. I walked up behind him and turned him around. He refused to look me in the eyes until I held his face in my hands, forcing him to. His blue eyes met my green ones, and I smiled slightly at him, trying to defuse the tension.

     "Are you alright?" he asked me, placing his hands over my own, holding them as he removed them from his face.

     "I am now," I responded softly, giving his hands a gentle squeeze t0 reassure him.

     "I'm sorry," he told me again, but I stopped him.

     "I know, Benny."

     "I never wanted you to know, much less find out like this," he said. He dropped my hands and pulled me towards him. He wrapped his arms around me, embracing me in a hug. As I was much shorter than him, I easily laid my head on his chest, and he soon rested his head on mine. We didn't speak for a while, cherishing the silence.

     "The man said you wouldn't feed off of the woman you love. What did he mean?" I eventually inquired. He hesitated.

     "I'm not normal, Abigail. I'm a vampire," he told me, squeezing me slightly to comfort me. I didn't care that he was a vampire; he was still the same man that I've known for the past few months.

     "What about the other part?" He seemed to understand what I meant.

     "He was right when he said I loved you," he responded, "I love you, so much, Abby," he confessed.

     "I love you too, Benny."