Reminiscing ~ Matt Cohen

I closed the front door quietly, hoping that I wouldn't wake anyone. I laid my keys gently on the counter and took off my long black coat, hanging it up in the closet. Turning on the dim light in the kitchen, it illuminated the room enough to let me see what I was doing.

     My dog, Duke, was sleeping soundly in his pet bed, waging his tail ever so slightly. I quietly laughed, seeing the drool dripping out of his mouth and onto his blanket.

     I felt strong arms wrap around my middle and someone's head rest on my left shoulder. The light stubble on their jaw rubbed against my neck, making me giggle; it tickled. I could feel them smile as they pressed their lips against my jaw. I placed my hands on top of their arms and we slowly swayed side to side, not speaking. After all, I already knew who it was.

     "Did I wake you?" I asked gently, breaking the silence. My boyfriend of three years, Matt, didn't reply right away, letting me know that I had woken him. I sighed and turned around in his arms, laying my head in the crook of his neck. "Sorry," I mumbled, wrapping my arms around his neck.

     "It's okay, sweetheart," he mumbled into my hair. We went upstairs and went to bed, laying there, awake. His arm was laying loosely over me. Neither of us seemed to be tired, despite it being so late, so we made conversation, remembering all the good times and some of the bad.

     "Remember when we first met?" I questioned, laughing to myself., hearing him do the same.

     I was at the set of Supernatural to watch my brother act. My birthday was coming up and I had always loved to see him act live, rather than watch through a television screen. So, I was off to the side, sitting with Bob Singer and Eric Kripke.

     My brother, Jensen, was just finishing up a scene with a handsome man, who I had not yet had the pleasure of meeting. They were laughing together, approaching me. When they reached me, their laughter quieted down and Jensen slung his arm around my shoulder, smiling down at me.

     "Matt, this is my baby sister, Claire. Claire, this is Matt Cohen," he introduced. Matt held his hand out for me to shake, which I happily did. He was an attractive man; he had short black hair and bright blue eyes. He was a fairly tall man, with a strong, but slim, build.

     "It's nice to meet you," I smiled, to which he did the same.

     "Yeah I remember," he told me, gently kissing my temple, "what about when your brother found out about us?"

     After meeting, Matt and I had seemed to immediately become friends. After a few weeks, he plucked up the courage to ask me on a date, and now, a week and a half later, I was his girlfriend. We had been dating for a few days, but we wanted to wait a while before telling my brother. Jensen was very protective of me, so I knew he would go ballistic, even though he already knew Matt and considered him a friend.

     I was sitting in my small apartment, flipping through the channels. Matt was sitting beside me, with his head on my lap. For some reason, he was staring up at my face.

     "See anything interesting?" I inquired, gazing down at him. He grinned, taking the remote out of my hands and putting it on the coffee table. He pulled my face down towards his and crashed his lips onto mine. I smiled into the kiss, pulling him closer.

     Little did I know, that Jensen had entered the apartment silently, planning to scare me. He crept down the hall and towards the living room, where Matt and I were. He saw me sitting on the couch, leaning over something, and just as he was about to yell "boo!" when he saw what was happening.

     "What the hell is going on here?" he shouted, scaring Matt and I. We sprung apart and stood up. Jensen was fuming. He came towards Matt and held him by the collar of his shirt, despite my protests.

     "Let him go, Jensen," I told him, pulling on his arm. He shrugged me off and pushed Matt against the wall.

     "Not until I know why he was sucking face with my little sister," he demanded, staring intensely at Matt, "care to tell me, Matt?"

     "I think I have a right to kiss my boyfriend," I said, placing my hands on my hips. Jensen momentarily looked back at me before returning his gaze to my boyfriend.

     "Boyfriend?" my brother yelled, "is that true?" put his face closer to Matt, who nodded, not straying his eyes from Jensen's to show that he wasn't afraid.

     "Listen, Jensen," Matt said, "I love your sister. I would never try to hurt her, I swear." I smiled at his words.

     "You better not," Jensen cut in, glaring at him.

     "All I ask for is a chance. Just one. And if I screw up, you can hunt me down and gut me like a fish," Matt told him. Jensen let him go, but not before whispering something in his ear that I couldn't catch. I watched, smiling as they shook hands.

     "I wonder how he'll react to this," Matt commented, placing his hands lightly on my stomach. I had just found out a week ago that I was pregnant.

     I sighed, leaning farther back against his chest.

     "He'll deal with it."