We Could Have Been Great ~ Lucifer

Why is it that when I decide to befriend humans, I befriend the two that are always in trouble?
     It was about six months ago that I met the Winchester brothers. I had saved their asses from a Leviathan and in return they let me tag along. I knew that they were suspicious; I had overheard them talking about me and I knew that Sam had done a background check, though he found nothing. Well, I'll just give you a quick summary to quicken it up some.
     My name Kya McLeo and I am nearly five hundred years old, though my vessel only looks around twenty five. I was around that age when I was killed. I had been stabbed by a mentally ill man who had mistaken me for someone else. I spent nearly half a century in hell before I became a demon.
     I didn't know what Lucifer was thinking when he made me a demon; after all of the torture that Alistair put me through and all of the shit that Lucifer threw at me, I hadn't lost my humanity. I think that's why Sam and Dean haven't figured out what I am; I didn't, and still don't, act like other demons. I feel both happiness and pain, just like anyone else.

     The Winchesters and I were on a hunting trip. It was a simple salt and burn, but I had a bad feeling. Lucifer was walking free on earth, which was bad enough, but this was worse.
     I knew that if Lucifer saw me, he would be able to identify me. Angels can see through the mask of a vessel. They can see your true face. I just have to hope that if he does see me, he won't tell Sam and Dean what I am. If he did, I knew that they would never trust me again.
     Just as we threw the burning match onto the bones of an ex-army commander, the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach became stronger. I knew by then that it wasn't just 'a bad feeling'; it was a warning.
    "Well, well, look what we have here," a voice behind us said. We spun around to face the person who had spoke and I felt my blood run cold. It was a man who looked around forty. He had a slight gut and loose skin all over him. His sandy hair was short and his blue eyes were cold.
     Lucifer.
     "Now, don't be shy, Sam. Introduce us," Lucifer told him, smirking at us. Sam glared furiously at him, though I saw fear in his eyes also.
     "What do you want?" he asked, his body stiff. Lucifer shrugged and his smirk grew.
     "You already know what I want, Sammy. But I also see something else that I like," he said. His eyes fell on me. They lingered, then turned back to Sam, "You didn't tell me we had a mutual friend."
     "I'm not your friend, Lucifer," I growled, finally finding the courage to speak. I had only met Lucifer once before.

     It had been a few decades after I had gone to hell. He had approached me, his everlasting smirk painted on his lips. I remember how I had glared at him, hatred coursing through my veins. My clothes were tattered and covered with dried blood. My body was bruised and bloody.
     "Well, this certainly isn't your best day, is it?" Lucifer remarked, looking down at me. I spit at his shoes, nearly growling back at him.
     "You aren't looking too great either. Only difference is that that's your natural look." He seemed momentarily taken back, then chuckled.
     "Well, since we're being honest, you should know that it would be in your best interest to take Alistair up on his offer," Lucifer persuaded, "Kill a few people, burn a few more. You wouldn't have to feel the pain anymore."
     "Do you give this prep talk to all the other souls? Cause if you do, I would expect you to be better at it by now," I said to him.
     "Only the special ones," he told me.
     "Special ones?"
     "Very few have lasted over a decade. Even less have lasted two or three. But you," he paused, thinking of how to say his next words, "you have lasted nearly four decades. Nearly forty years. You're stronger than the rest. If you cooperate, you could have a bright future."
     "The only thing bright about being in hell is the burning flame of my hatred for monsters like you," I snarled, "I don't care if you're an Archangel. I don't care if you created demons and use them like pieces in a chess game. We will never be on the same side, got it?" I emphasized 'never' as I glared at him.
     "Shame," Lucifer said, "we could have been great." Without another word, he had left me there, more confused than ever. He actually looked saddened by my comment. But that couldn't be right; he was Lucifer, he didn't give a rat's ass about anyone.
     I eventually dismissed it as an act, though it was the last thing on my mind when Alistair returned.

     "Really? Because I thought we shared a lovely time in hell together," he told me. He was going to tell them; I could see it in his eyes. The slimy bastard. Though I had to admit, I couldn't ignore the tug I felt on my heart as I stared at him. I couldn't explain it either.
     "Why are you here Lucifer?" I asked, trying to steer off the subject. I could already feel Sam and Dean's questioning gazes burn into my back. I didn't want them to turn into glares.
     After all the time I had spent with them and how close we had grown, I didn't know if I could handle seeing the inevitable hatred in their eyes once they found out.
     "Now, now, don't you want to catch up?" He seemed to be mocking me, "The offer still stands, you know. We could be great." He said it again. What does he mean?
     "What offer?" Dean cut in, his eyes moving between Lucifer and I.
     "You see, when Kya here was in hell, I made her an offer. If she had cooperated, she could have helped me rule hell. But she turned it down. Instead, she decided to stay with Alistair. Shame, really. We-"
     "Yes, yes, we could have been great," I cut him off, rolling my eyes, "Why don't you go back to hell and leave us be?"
     "Where's the fun in that?" Lucifer raised and eyebrow.
     "You were in hell?" Sam asked me, trying to clarify.
     "For nearly fifty years, yes," Lucifer confirmed.
     Here it goes. I braced myself for Sam and Dean's reactions.
     "After that, I decided she was worthy to become a demon," the Archangel finished. I didn't dare look back at the brothers.
     "A demon?" I could hear that Dean was trying to stay calm, "You're a demon and you never told us?"
     "If I had, what would you have done?" I asked him, bowing my head and closing my eyes, "You would have killed me, or at least exorcised me. All I wanted to do was be normal. You must understand that. When I met you guys, I don't know, I just felt like I needed to help. I was always on your side. Do you think I want to be a monster?"
     I risked a glance at the Winchesters. They both looked disappointed, but Dean was absolutely livid. I wasn't sure if he was mad at me, or at himself for not noticing. I guess it was a bit of both.
     "I'm giving you ten seconds you get out of my sight before I kill you right here," Dean told me, glaring. I opened my mouth to say something, but he spoke before I could, cutting me off, "Don't try to persuade me. Just go before I change my mind."
     I took one last look at the Winchesters; the two men that I had grown to consider my brothers. I could feel tears begin to form in my eyes as my eyes traveled over Sam's face, then Dean's.
     Sam's eyes were sad. He still looked as innocent as he ever did. Even for a tall, strong man, he looked like a puppy that had just been kicked.
     Dean's eyes were cold, hard circles. His stance was stiff and his fists were clenched tightly.
     I sighed, feeling a tear roll down my cheeks, "I'm sorry." I left in a second, knowing my ten seconds were almost up.

     I sighed and opened my eyes. I hadn't even noticed that I had closed them. I was standing in Rosewood Cemetery, where my family had put a headstone after I had been killed. I quickly found my grave and rested my hand on the cold black granite. I heard the wind swish behind me, letting me know that I had company.
     I didn't turn around or even act as if I had noticed them. Footsteps approached me slowly. I knew it was either and angel or a demon; something that could appear out of thin air as I had.
     "Don't cry, dear Kya," Lucifer's voice entered my ears. Why was he here? He had already caused enough damage.
     "What do you want, Lucifer?" I asked, wiping my hand across my cheek, removing the tears that had began to fall, "Haven't you done enough?"
     "I only did what I thought was best. You know what happens to people who try to help them; they get hurt or killed," he replied.
     "Why would you care?" I question incredulously, "You're the only one who has hurt me. You literally put me through hell. I have spent over a century trying to find something that made me happy, and you just waltzed in and ruined it. I loved those boys like brothers, Lucifer. Now they want nothing to do with me. Dean threatened to kill me because of you." He stayed silent for a moment.
     "I'm sorry," he told me, sounding as sincere as I had ever heard him sound, though I didn't know him that well. I turned around to face him, seeing that he was already staring at me. "Please don't doubt that I care. Believe me, I do." His eyes showed that he was genuine.
     "Why?" I couldn't help but ask him. He approached me and took a hold of my hands, pulling them up to kiss my knuckles.
     "Because I love you," he told me, "since the day I first saw you, I knew you'd be the death of me if you weren't on my side. I knew that you were my weakness."
     "I'm still not on your side, Lucifer. I refuse to hurt them. No matter how much they hate me, I don't hate them," I shook my head, squeezing his hands.
     "You don't have to be on my side. Just promise me that you will never leave me," Lucifer's face grew closer to mine. I thought for a moment, then came up with my answer.
     "I promise. After all, we can still be great."