My Hero ~ Dean Winchester

This is it. This is the day that I'm going to die. I'm only twenty-nine. I've never had my own house or my own car. I've been to all fifty states, but I still haven't seen enough. I've never told my best friend, Dean Winchester, that I love him.
     The importance of all that seemed to disappear when he entered the room. He couldn't be here; it wasn't safe. I would have been able to accept my death if I had been alone, but knowing that his life was on the line made everything worse.
     I had no family to live for. At least, no blood relatives. My parents had both been killed on hunts, and I was an only child. But Dean, he had his brother Sam. If he were to die again, Sam would lose it. He'd break down once more, just like he had done in the past.
     "Dean," I called out to him in a raspy voice. I hadn't spoken in several days, and I was severely lacking water. "What are you doing here? Get out!"
     Dean's eyes locked with mine and he quickly rushed over to where I was laying on the floor, my hands cuffed around a pipe. H crouched down and put his index finger under my chin, tilting my head in several directions to check for injuries.
     There were many of them. I was certain that I had a black eye and a bloody lip, as well as a few cuts on my cheeks and forehead. Gashes decorated my body by the dozens, and the pain was excruciating. I felt lightheaded and weak.
     "I'm not leaving you, Mariah. I thought you knew me better than that," he sent me a smirk, then lifted his hand to brush the corner of my eye, pulling back when I winced. "That son of a bitch is going to be sorry that he even looked in your direction," he growled, standing up. He pulled on the handcuffs a few times then stopped and reached into his pocket. "Shit," he muttered under his breath, then turned to me, "I don't have any paperclips with me."
     I was about to reply, when a voice interrupted me.
     "Well, well. If it isn't Dean Winchester," a female voice purred, "I have to say, the rumors don't do you justice. You're a lot hotter in person."
     Dean pulled Ruby's knife from his pocket, gripping it tightly, moving to face the woman. "Don't make this harder than it has to be, demon. My day's been pretty shitty so far, and I'm not in the best mood," he said, shrugging his shoulders casually, "So just let her go, or I send you back to hell."
     "But where's the fun in that? I quite like having her around," she smirked devilishly, staring at the oldest Winchester. I knew that she was going to do her best to make him angry. "Seeing her blood drip in the floor, and hearing her scream out in pain. It's really soothing. It reminds me of home."
     Dean's face darkened as he glared at the demon with rage in his eyes. He lunged forward, trying to slice her with the blade, but she turned to smoke and appeared next to me. She pulled me to my feet and her hand grabbed my throat, just hard enough to make my breaths rugged. I could still breathe, but barely. She ran one of her long black nails down my cheek as she stood behind me, protecting herself from Dean by using my body as a shield.
     "Now, now. You wouldn't want to ruin her pretty face, would you?" she mocked, tightening her grip on my throat. I felt as though I was going to collapse. I had lost a lot of blood and now I was lacking oxygen.
     I got an idea. I knew that it would probably be a stupid thing to do, but I decided to do it anyway. Pushing my head back quickly, I rammed my skull against her nose, causing her to stumble back.
     Dean ran over and tried to get her again, but he missed and broke the pipe instead. The demon turned to smoke once more. As soon as she released me, I fell to the floor, hitting my head on the cold floor. I looked up and tried to see what was going on, but my eyes were blurry. I tried to clear my vision by blinking, but it didn't work. I couldn't give up, though. I couldn't let that bitch get Dean.
     After several more attempts, I was able to see slightly more clearly, but not by much. I could make out shapes, but nothing else of use. The woman was now on the other side of the room with a bloody nose.
     When Dean faced her, she lifted her hand, throwing him into the wall behind me. I was only a few feet away from him. I wanted to help him so badly, but no matter how hard I tried to get up, I couldn't. I faintly saw the demon approach him, picking up the blade that had fallen out of Dean's grip.
     "I guess this is it then. The mighty Dean Winchester has failed." I could picture the smirk on her face as she crouched down to his level, "But you're not the only one who's going to suffer the consequences of your actions. You're little friend won't last much longer, Dean, and it's all your fault."
     At her words, I saw him move his head in my direction. While he was distracted, the woman plunged the knife into his side.
     I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. I wanted to spring up and kill that son of a bitch. I wanted to hold Dean in my arms and tell him that Sam will come and save us both, but all I could do was lay there as a tear slipped down the side of my face.
     "You know, I think I'll just let you bleed out. It's much more painful that way," the demon remarked, standing up. Without so much as a glance at me, she turned and left, leaving us in silence.
     "Dean," I choked out, trying to gather my strength. Clenching my teeth, I slipped my cuffs off the broken pipe. I braced myself for the pain and rolled onto my stomach so I could crawl over to the wounded Winchester.
     It took me several moments, and I was breathing as though I had run a marathon by the time I reached him, but it was worth it. My vision was still blurry, but there was only a short distance between Dean and I, so it was easier to see him. I used the wall to prop myself up into a sitting position in front of him. His breaths were rugged, and his shirt was soaked in blood.
     "Dean," I said, raising one of my hands to hold his face. It was difficult due to the cuffs, but I dealt with it. "Dean, look at me. We're going to be alright. Sam or Cas is going to come any minute, just you wait. We're getting out of here," I told him, though I doubted the majority of my words.
     Dean's eyes focused on my face, and he reached up to place his hand on top of mine. He moved his thumb across it, sending me a sad smile.
     "I'm sorry, Mariah. I didn't save you," he apologized, looking to be on the verge of tears.
     "No, no, Dean. It's okay," I tried to assure him, feeling my eyes sting as well, "I was toast anyway. If I hadn't been stupid enough to get kidnapped by the demon in the first place, we'd be in the impala with Sam and Cas."
     "Forget about that; that wasn't your fault. Things happen," Dean dismissed my self-blame, lifting his other arm to pull me closer. "There's something I've gotta say, and it's a pretty shitty time to say it, but I'm not dying without telling you."
     "You're not dying, period, Dean. You've done it too many times already. You're not doing it again," I told him firmly.
     "Neither are you," he insisted, hugging me to his chest. It must have caused him pain, for he groaned quietly, but he didn't release me from his strong hold. "I'm not good with feelings, and maybe I've never really known what love is outside of Sammy, but I know I love you."
     His words caused me to look up at him. He was already staring down at me, his face soft. I opened my mouth, trying to form words, but none would come out.
     He continued, "I remember when I was twelve, and you were nine. Bobby let us go to the park and we were playing on the swings. I kept jumping off so you tried to copy me, but you fell and scraped your knees. I carried you all the way back to Bobby's. When we got there, you hugged me, and you called me your hero." A smile graced his lips as the memory played in both of our heads. "That was the say I fell in love with you. I'm sorry I couldn't be your hero again, Mariah. I'm so sorry."
     I pulled myself away from his body and lifted my cuffed hands, placing them behind his head. Moving closer to him, I pushed my lips against his, feeling him respond. I had wanted to do that for so long.
     It was short but passionate. Knowing Dean, it would have been longer if we both weren't short of breath. As we pulled away, loud footsteps were heard approaching the room we were in.
     "Dean! Mariah!" It was Sam's voice. Knowing we were now safe, I relaxed, burying my head in Dean's neck.
     "You'll always be my hero, Dean. Forever and always."