Whiskey ~ Sam Winchester

"Why is he dealing them soft serve like swine flu when he's got the Croatoan virus up his sleeve?" I asked Bobby over the phone, sitting in the back seat of the Impala. Dean had called Bobby to see where we should go next and had put it on speaker so we could all talk to him.
     "Doesn't matter what the sick son of a bitch is doing. What matters is this is the fourth town he's hit, that we know of, and we're still eating his dust," Bobby replied, "Did you get anything? We got even a snowball at a probable next target?"
     "Uh, no pattern we can see," Sam told him. I could hear Bobby sigh on the other end of the line.
     "Okay. Hold on," the sound of squeaking wheels could be heard from the phone, "Well, far as I can tell, he's still heading east, So...head east, I guess," he concluded.
     "East?" the three of us said in unison.
     "Bobby, we're in West Nevada. East is practically all there is," Dean said, watching the road.
     "Yeah, well, you better get to driving," Bobby told us, then hung up.
     "Say," Crowley's voice filled the car, scaring me witless. He had just appeared beside me, making all of us look at him. "I've got an idea."
     Dean made a hard left and Sam took out Ruby's knife. Just as we screeched to a stop, Sam reached back and stabbed the seat where Crowley had been. I let out a breath that I hadn't known I was holding.
     "Did you get him?" Dean asked, looking over his shoulder.
     Sam shook his head, "He's gone. You okay?" he questioned me, to which I simply nodded.
     Crowley hit his knuckles against the passenger side window, "Fancy a fag and a chat?" The three of us got out of the Impala and walked towards him as he backed away. "You're upset. We should discuss it. Not here, but-"
     "You want to talk? After what you did to us?" Sam asked, cutting him off.
     "After what I - what I did to you? I gave you the colt!" Crowley exclaimed.
     "Yeah, and you knew it wouldn't work against the devil!" Sam shouted at him.
     "I never!" Crowley denied.
     "You set us up. We lost people on that suicide run. Good people!" I narrowed my eyes at the demon, crossing my arms.
     "Who you take on the ride is your own business. Look, everything is still the same. We're all still in this together," Crowley told us, almost sheepishly. He knew we were angry and he knew what we were capable of when we were angry. That, and he needed us. He wouldn't have came back if he didn't.
     "Sure we are," Sam said, then jumped at him with Ruby's knife. Crowley disappeared, then popped up behind Sam.
     "Call your dog off," he told me, motioning to Sam. When he saw my glare, he added, "Please." When Sam tried to go at Crowley again, I held him back. I saw Dean also grab his brother's arm.
     "You give me one good reason," I pointed at him.
     "I can give you Pestilence," he smirked.
     "What do you know about Pestilence?" Dean inquired.
     "I know how to get him," Crowley said, "That's got your interest, hasn't it?"
     I stared at him, honestly considering believing him. He needed us, so why would he lie? Dean looked as if he was considering it too, while Sam rolled his eyes and glanced back at us, then did a double take when he realized what we were thinking.
     "Are you actually listening to this?" he asked us disbelievingly.
     "Sam-"
     "Are you frigging nuts?" he shouted.
     "Shut up for a minute, Sam," Dean commanded.
     "Shut up, the both of you! Look...I swear... I thought the colt would work. It's an honest mistake. It's all part of the learning process. But nothing's changed; I still want the devil dead," he stopped and corrected himself, "Well...one thing's changed. Now the devil knows that I want him dead. Which, by the way, makes me the most buggered son in all of creation."
     "Holy crap. We don't care," Dean interrupted.
     "They burnt down my house!" he told us. When he didn't get a reaction from us he shouted, "They ate my tailor! Two months under a rock, like a bloody salamander! Every demon on hell and earth's got his eyes out for me! And yet...here I am...last place I should be; in the road, talking to Sam and Dean Winchester and their little friend, Brenna Cross, under a frigging spotlight!" he flicked his hand towards the lamppost and the light exploded. He took a deep breath to calm himself down, "So come with me. Please." He could see that we were still hesitant, so he tried a different approach, "Do you want the horsemen rings or not? Yes, I know all about that," he told us when he was what we were surprised, "Shall we?"

     "Here we are. My life on the lam. How the mighty have fallen. Single-pane glass, used contraception in the fireplace. The water damage alone-"
     "My heart's bleeding for you. Now, how do you know about the rings?" Dean cut Crowley off as we entered the living room of a rickety house.
     "Well, now...I've been keeping a close eye on you lot," Crowley told us, scanning his eyes over each of us.
     "We had hex bags; we were hidden from demons," I replied, narrowing my eyes.
     "All but one," he pointed to himself, "That night you broke into my house, our first date," he winked at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Sam stiffen and grip Ruby's knife harder in his hands, turning his knuckles white. Crowley continued, "My valet hid a tracking device in your car. A magical coin that easily trumps your little bags of bones. It allows me to hear things, too and, my, the things I've heard," he chuckled, "So you want to cram the devil back in the box? Cunning scheme. I want in."
     "You said you could get us Pestilence," Dean reminded him. Crowley made a face and turned around, making hand gestures.
     "Well, now...I don't know where Pestilence is...per se," he faced us, "But I do know the demon who does. He's what you might call the horsemen's stable boy. He handles their itineraries, their personal needs. He's who you want, believe me. He'll tell us where Sneezy's at," he smirked.
     "Well, how do we get him to spill? Rip out his toenails?" I asked sarcastically.
     "Tempting, but no," he grinned evilly, "Nuts at his pay grade don't crack. We bring him here, then I sell him."
     "Sell him?" Sam spoke up.
     "Please. I've sold sin to saints for centuries. Think I can't close one little demon?" Crowley raised one of his eyebrows. I crossed my arms.
     "Alright, so where's this demon of yours?"

     "Why are we even listening to him, Dean?" Sam asked as his older brother packed a duffle bag for the mission, "This is totally insane."
     "I don't disagree with you," Dean replied, loading a gun with rock salt. I stood behind Sam in the doorway, arms folded. I saw Crowley walk up beside me. He nodded at me as he passed and continued to approach the brothers. He clapped, getting their attention.
     "One big happy family, are we, then? Fantastic."
     "You ready to go?" Dean asked, zipping up his bag.
     "Yes, yes, I am," he turned to walk away, "Sam, keep the home fires burning. Brenna can help you with that."
     "What are you talking about?" I questioned, standing up right as I glared at him.
     "You and Moose aren't coming," he said simply.
     "And why the hell not?" Sam snapped, turning to face the demon. Crowley slowly walked towards Sam, speaking as he went.
     "Because I don't like you. I don't trust you. And, oh yes, you keep trying to kill me," he answered, "As for her," he motioned towards me, "Well, we couldn't have him getting distracted, now can we?" he winked at me again.
     I think I nearly gagged; Crowley just hit on me, again.
     "There's no damn way. This isn't gonna happen!" Sam yelled, anger clear on his face and in his words.
     "I'm not asking you, am I? Cause you're not invited. I'm asking you," he pointed at Dean, "What's it gonna be?" Dean's silence answered for him. Crowley scoffed, "Lady and gentlemen, enjoy your last few sunsets." He turned and walked away from us. He was almost out of the room when Dean spoke.
     "Wait. I'll go," he picked up his bag and threw it over his shoulder as Sam and I both stared at him disbelievingly. How could he just go with Crowley alone? Dean looked at the two of us and sighed, "What can I say? I believe the guy."

     I tended to the fire as Sam spoke on the phone with Bobby. He was drinking out of a bottle of whiskey.
     I heard some of their conversation, but I wasn't listening to most of it. I was thinking. What were we going to do after we opened the cage? I mean, Lucifer and Michael weren't just going to skip into it, hand in hand.
     I saw Sam stand and walk into the kitchen. He took another swig of whiskey and said something that caught my attention.
     "Say we can open the cage. Great. But then what? We just lead the devil to the edge and get him to jump in?" he paused to listen to Bobby, "What if you guys lead the devil to the edge and I jump in?"
     I nearly dropped the fire poker. What the hell was he thinking? I wasn't going to let him do that, much less Dean and Bobby. There was no way I was losing him.
     I stood up and walked over to him, taking the phone from his hands, "Hey Bobby, I'm gonna need to call you back." Without waiting for his response, I hung up.
     "What was that about?" Sam asked me, holding out his hand for his phone. I gave it to him then placed my hands on my hips.
     "What was that about? Are your really asking me that?" I scoffed, shaking my head, "What were you thinking? There's no way you're jumping into the cage," I stated firmly.
     "I was just looking at our options," he tried to convince me. It wasn't working.
     "That isn't an option!" I raised my voice. He raised his right back.
     "Well at least I'm trying!" he shot back.
     "And I'm not?" I asked.
     "You're sitting around, poking at a flame!" Sam told me, "You could at least pretend that you're making an effort!"
     "Sam, I've been thinking this whole time! With a clear head, too!" I grabbed the whiskey bottle from his hands, "You're drinking your miseries away like a teenager who just broke up with her boyfriend!" He clenched his jaw, closing his eyes. When he opened them, I could see nothing but anger.
     "Just give me the whiskey and leave me alone," he demanded. I let out a small yell of annoyance, shoving the bottle towards his chest. He stumbled back, surprised by my strength. I took a deep breath, calming myself.
     "Sam, all I've ever done is care about you. These past few years, I've cared about nothing more than you and Dean. I've listened to you shout and I've see you cry," I said calmly, "You two are the closest thing I have to a family. What Bobby did was a million-to-one and I just..." my voice cracked and I felt tears well up in my eyes, "I just don't want to lose you," I finished quietly.
     I saw Sam's eyes soften. He set the bottle down on the table and pulled me into a warm hug as tears began to slowly run down my cheeks. His strong arms held me securely, making me feel safe. I buried my face into his chest, for that was as high as my head reached, while he brushed one of his hands over my hair. My arms were wrapped around his torso. He was warm and, despite all of his muscle, soft.
     He kissed my forehead then laid his head on top of mine, sighing.
     "You don't have to worry about me, Brenna," he assured me softly, "I'm strong enough to handle it."
     I shook my head, "But you aren't. When Lucifer possesses you, he's going to see every one of your weaknesses and he'll use them against you. Neither of us are good at controlling our anger and he'll manipulate that."
     "Then we'll think of something," he told me, pulling away to see my face. He brushed his thumbs over my cheeks, wiping away the salty tear drops and the warm trails they left behind.
     "Okay," I agreed, looking up at him. He smiled shyly down at me, brushing away a few pieces of my bangs that had fallen into my eyes. No doubt my face was red from both yelling and crying, but he didn't seem to mind.
     He slowly bent down to my level, planting a gentle kiss on my lips. He tasted like whiskey, but I didn't care. I think whiskey was my new favourite drink.