In The Arms of a Prophet ~ Kevin Tran

Being a prophet wasn't easy. Or at least, that was what my friend Kevin told me.
     I had befriended Kevin in public school. We had grown up together. I was there when he had been chased by Sam and Meg because he had tried to steal the tablet. 
     I felt like I had to protect him. It had been that way since we were little because he was never one to stick up for himself. He wasn't very strong either, and I had found myself in the position where I had to rescue him multiple times. But it had been worse this past year. Kevin had barely managed to escape from wherever Crowley was keeping him, Dean was dead, Sam didn't answer his phone and Cas was nowhere to be found.
     Kevin and I were sitting in the old abandoned church that we had claimed as our own. We had drawn signs all over to ward off all creatures imaginable. Someone knocked on the doors of the church, causing us to stop what we were doing and tense up. We then heard a voice that we thought we'd never hear again.
     "Kevin. It's Sam and Dean Winchester. Open up," Sam called through the door. It couldn't be them. Sam and Dean were gone.
     The two of us grabbed the water guns that we always kept close by, which were filled with holy water. I could hear the lock being picked. When they opened the doors and approached where we were hidden, we jumped out, spraying them. Nothing happened.
     "Stop! Stop! Not Leviathans. It's us," Dean said, holding up his arms to defend his face. Sam was doing the same.
     "What the hell happened to you guys?" Kevin asked as we both put our water guns down.
     "Cliff Notes? I went to Purgatory. Sam hit a dog," Dean still had the same attitude, that much was certain.
     "For real?" I saw them wipe their faces on their sleeves, "You want some towels?" They both nodded, so we led them into the main room.
     "Who taught you all this?" Dean questioned, looking around at the symbols. Kevin and I shrugged.
     "I guess... God," Kevin responded, not quite sure. Neither of us were; he had been shown these symbols in his visions and dreams.
     "God taught you how to trap demons?" Sam clearly didn't believe it.
     "Technically, yeah," I spoke up. They barely acknowledged me, which I was fine with. I was a human, nothing special. I had only been a hunter for a little over a year and as far as I could see, I was holding them all back.
     "Wait, wait, hold on. Crowley kidnapped you. I saw that. But then you left a message saying you escaped. How?" Sam inquired. Kevin told them his story and after being interrupted a few times, he finished.

     A few hours later, when the four of us were in the church, it began to shake. The floorboards broke, making the symbol painted on them useless. The doors flew open and revealed two demons.
     "Dean Winchester. Back from Purgatory," one said, smirking. Sam and Dean moved so they were standing in front of Kevin and I.
     "Spanky the demon. Yeah, I heard about you. You’re the one who uses too much teeth, right?" Without warning, they attacked. The Winchesters took them on, trying to keep us safe. Or at least, keep Kevin safe. I wasn't of value to them; it wouldn't matter if I got killed.
     When Sam was knocked down, the demon came at Kevin and I. Kevin used one of his squirt bottles to squirt holy water on it, while I punched it square in the nose. The blow made him fall to the floor, letting Sam kill him easily. The other demon was strangling Dean, so Sam handed his brother the knife and Dean plunged it into his attacker.
     "Hello, boys. Oh, I see you kept the girl around. Shame; I didn't think I'd have to kill her so soon," Crowley told us, appearing in the doorway with an Asian girl beside him. It was Channing, Kevin's girlfriend. Her eyes were black; she was possessed by a demon. "Dean, you're looking... well, let's just say Purgatory didn't do you any favors. Where's your angel?
     "Ask your mother," Dean shot back, obviously fed up with the King of Hell. 
     "There's that grade-school zip. Missed it. I really did," he smirked and looked at Sam, "Moose. Still with the pork chops. I admire that."
     "Let Channing go," Kevin spoke up, staring at Crowley. 
     "That's not Channing, Kevin. Not anymore," I tried to convince him. 
     "What an awful thing to say to the boy. Of course it's Channing," he looked at Kevin, "Kev, last time we danced, you stole my tablet and killed my men. Tell you what. Come with me now," he waved his hand unconcerned, "bygones. And I'll let the girl go back to... What's-the-Point U.
     "He's lying. You won't get Channing back. She's probably dead already," Dean also tried to talk some sense into him, but it wasn't working.
     Crowley sighed, "Will you please stop saying that? Let the girl speak." He snapped his fingers, making Channing go back to normal. She and Kevin exchanged a few words before Crowley snapped his fingers again, making the black eyes return. 
     "Okay; I'll do it," Kevin told Crowley. 
     "Kevin," I warned him. 
     "Myself for the girl, but this ends. All right? No fighting, no nothing; it ends." Dean shook his head, disagreeing with Kevin. 
     "Can't let you do that, buddy."
     "Or what? You'll kill me?" he shot back at Dean. He turned to Crowley, "I'll grab my stuff."
     "Chin up, gentlemen. I'm a professional," Crowley smirked.
     "This isn't over by a long shot, Crowley," I growled, glaring at him.
     "Really, Evelyn, who writes your stuff? A marshmallow?" he mocked, "Come on, Kevin. Chop, chop," he paused, "Kevin?" Crowley stepped forward, but Dean raised Sam's knife towards him. Crowley just snapped his fingers and the handle turned red, making Dean drop it as it burned him. The King of Hell walked right past us, with Channing following close behind. "Kevin!"
     Dean picked up the knife as they disappeared into the room where Kevin went. The next thing I knew, Crowley and Channing screamed.
     "Evie, Sam, Dean, run!" Kevin yelled to us. As we ran, I looked back and saw him emerge from the room, running to catch up with us. When we reached the Impala, Crowley and Channing stepped out onto the porch of the church. Crowley mumbled something, then black smoke poured out of Channing's mouth. With a flick of Crowley's wrist, he snapped her neck and she fell to the ground. Sam, Kevin and I could only watch and Dean sped away.

     We pulled up to a gas station a while later. Kevin and I were in the backseat of the car, while Sam and Dean were in the front. My head was resting on Kevin's chest and his arm was around me, insuring that I wouldn't fall off the seat if I fell asleep. I was exhausted; I hadn't slept in almost three days. I had been having odd gut feelings lately. Something was wrong. And I was right; Channing was possessed by a demon and now she's dead.
     Dean left to get a snack from the convenience store and Sam left too, saying that he had to go to the bathroom.
     "How are you holding up, Kev?" I asked sleepily, forcing myself to stay awake long enough to hear his answer.
     "Awesome. The King of Hell just snapped my girlfriend's neck. How about you?" he snapped. I stayed silent. He sighed and I felt him shift, "I'm sorry, Evie; I didn't mean to snap like that." I looked up at him, seeing him already gazing down at me.
     "It's okay, Kev; I understand," I told him. I meant it; my boyfriend had been killed in a gang fight last year. He wasn't in a gang, he had just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was shot in the heart, and had died instantly.
     We were silent for a moment, just looking at each other, taking in every detail. Slowly, he leaned down, taking me by surprise. Nonetheless, I leaned up, meeting him half way. His soft lips gently kissed mine. Though my eyes were closed, I knew he was crying. I could taste his salty tears.
     We pulled back and not a second later, I yawned. He chuckled, gently pushing my head onto his chest, where it had been previously resting. He brushed his fingers through my hair, making me smile. In minutes, I was asleep, with his arm wrapped tightly around my waist.