Heavenly ~ Castiel

As I pulled the warm blanket closer to my body, I looked up at the stars. There were millions of them, shining brightly and creating constellations. I used to watch the stars when I was younger just to get away from it all; the stress from school and the pressured of my family. There was a big difference between then and now, though. It wasn't that I was a grown woman either.
     These stars were memories. I hadn't seen actual stars for what seemed like months, but it was probably years. The reason for that was simple; I was dead.
     On the night of my twenty-seventh birthday, a pickup truck slammed into the side of my small car, killing me instantly. It didn't hurt for long; it was excruciatingly painful for about ten seconds, then I couldn't feel a thing at all.
     I was in heaven now, so I didn't have a worry in the world. I had nowhere to be, no work to do. I could do what I wanted whenever I wanted to. It was like my own little piece of paradise.
     But I was alone. Yes, I could see memories of my family and friends playing all around me, and sometimes I'd even imagine that they were right beside me, but it wasn't the same. I knew they weren't real, and that was why I would give anything to live again. I hated being alone.
      It's ironic really. When I was living, being alone was comforting to me. I loved being able to sit in silence and just think. I hated being surrounded by people all the time, and now people are what I crave most.
     "Why did I have to die?" I asked aloud while I gazed up at the sky, "What did I do to deserve this?"
     I felt silly because I was practically speaking to myself, but if by chance there was someone listening, maybe they could answer my questions. I sat up and raised my voice, hoping to be heard.
     "I don't want to be alone any more. I thought heaven was supposed to be good. I thought I was supposed to be happy," I ended in a whisper. I paused for a moment, waiting for some sort of response, but nothing happened.
     Sighing, I laid back down. I could feel my eyes burn. I placed my arm over my face, trying to calm down. I still hated crying, even though no one was here to see me.
     Even though I tried to stop them, tears still escaped my eyes. I removed my arm from my face and sat up, pushing my palms against my eyes.
     "Sadie Jackson," I heard a voice say. It was deep and rough, but there was no trace of malice. Looking up, I saw a handsome man, clad in a blue business suit and a tan trench coat. His jet black hair was short and ruffled slightly, but it was his eyes that amazed me. They were the bluest eyes I had ever seen. They held little emotion, but the way he stood showed that he was quite awkward, so I assumed that emotions were not familiar to him.
     "Who are you?" I inquired curiously as I stood up. The breeze had disappeared, so I no longer needed my blanket.
     "My name is Castiel," he told me simply, as though it explained everything. I looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to elaborate, but he just stared back at me blankly.
     "No, I mean who are you? And h0w did you get here?" I clarified, watching him closely as he slowly walked towards me. He was only about six feet away now.
     "I am an angel 0f the Lord. I teleported here," he answered. I felt my mouth open in shock. He was an angel. An actual angel.
     He was very different that what I had expected an angel to be. He looked like a regular human being, and his clothes were certainly not 'heavenly'. His tie wasn't even on straight. Despite that, I had to admit that he was one of the best looking people that I had ever seen. Well, if you could count him as a person.
     "Why are you here?" I questioned. Surely he had duties to preform, so why was he wasting his time here. I wasn't important enough to be worth wasting an angel's time.
     "You said you didn't want to be alone, so I decided to join you," he replied, gazing up at the bright stars. Their light shone upon him, putting a gleam in his eyes.
     "You were listening?" I asked. I had never been one to ask many questions, but I had also never met an angel. He wasn't very good at explaining either.
     He furrowed his brows. "Very few question Heaven, Sadie Jackson, but you continuously do so," he told me, "I was curious." He looked as though he was about to add something, but he hesitated.
     "And?" I urged him, knowing that he wouldn't continue if I didn't say something.
     "You intrigue me."
     It took a moment to register his words. I intrigued him? How could he possibly find me interesting? I was pretty average; I was a bit on the short side, only standing about 5 foot 4, and I was slim, but not extremely so. I had bright blonde hair that was styled in a long pixie cut and my eyes were a plain grayish-green colour. Why was I so special?
     "Oh," I said, not bothering to hide my surprise. Castiel tilted his head to the side, his eyebrows still furrowed. He looked at me closely, as if he was inspecting me, but his eyes never left mine.
     "You don't believe that you are worth my attention," he deduced softly. Up until this point, our eyes had never strayed from each other, but once he said that, I looked down at the grass that brushed against my feet.
     "Well, I'm not much," I told him, scratching the back of my neck awkwardly, "I'm just human. It's not like I'm a star or a planet or something. Those are interesting, and certainly more worthy of your time. But I'm just me."
     He stepped closer to me hesitantly, as if afraid that I would turn and run. He was about a foot away. I took the opportunity to look at the finer details of his face.
     His jaw was square and covered by slight stubble. His navy blue tie was not only crooked, but backwards as well. His eyes were even more beautiful up close, but they reflected hard ships that I knew I would never fully understand.
     "I have observed you since you came to Heaven. You aren't just a human," he said. His voice was low, but I heard him perfectly. He seemed as though he didn't know how to word what he wished to say. "You are special. Stars and planets could never compare to your worth."
     I had never been told anything like that before. It was surprising to say the least, but the sincerity in both his eyes and voice told me that he was being truthful.
     "Did I say something wrong?" Castiel asked, pulling me from my thoughts. He looked slightly panicked. He went to take a step back, but I grabbed his hand. He froze, staring at the place where our flesh met. It was a simple gesture, a normal one to a human, but he acted as though no one had ever held his hand.
     I stepped closer to him so that we were nearly chest to chest, making his gaze slowly move from our hands to my face. I sent him a kind smile.
     "No, Cas. You didn't say anything wrong," I assured him. Catching him off guard, I released his hand and wrapped my arms around his middle, engulfing him in a hug.
     He didn't react right away, but he eventually held me close against his body. When I laid my head against his chest, he placed his on top of mine without any hesitation.
     "Thank you," I said to him, lifting my head to look up at him.
     "It was my pleasure," he replied softly, staring down at me. I saw him move his gaze between my eyes and my lips, but I knew he wouldn't act. Moving my arms to his neck, I pulled him down to my level and gently placed my lips against his, and my Lord, was it heavenly.