The Science Section ~ Kevin Tran

I was rushing down the school halls, making my snow covered boots squeak with every step. My arms were piled down with books, and they were quickly growing tired. I was already late to class, so there was really no reason to run the way I was, but by running I would be less late than if I was to walk.
     I stopped outside of the calculus classroom, trying to catch my breath. I shifted my books into one of my arms and flattened my hair, then rose my fist to knock. Within seconds, the door flew open, and Ms. Todd was glaring down at me.
     It wasn't necessarily my first time being late for her class. In my defense though, it wasn't my fault. Not this time, anyway. I'll admit, sometimes I drive slow in the morning just so I'll have another minute out of class, but one of the roads was blocked off this morning and I had to go around the long way.
     Despite my many late entries, I was still in advanced placement. My grade remained one of the highest in the class, so I was never really threatened that I would be taken out if I didn't show up on time.
     "Well, I'm glad that you finally made it, Ms. Hutcherson. What was it this time? Did your alarm not go off? Or was the traffic bad this morning?" Ms. Todd sneered, moving to the side so I could enter the classroom.
     I swear, that woman hated me. Though, I suppose that that had something to do with my attitude. I tended to correct her a lot and maybe I talked back to her once in a while. All of the other students were too scared to speak up, but I detested this woman, so I tried my hardest to make a fool out of her. That seemed to be her goal when it came to me as well.
     "I'm glad that you're so excited to see me, Ms. Todd. Wish I could say the same to you," I smiled a sickeningly sweet smile, going over to my desk. Her face became an angry shade of red at my comment. "My alarm clock is working fine, by the way. One of the roads was blocked off, though."
     I placed my books on the graffiti covered surface of my desk then sat down on my chair. Whoever had this desk before me must have been bored.
     Ms. Todd gave me one last hard glare, then turned around and continued the lesson. I wasn't told what page we were on, so I tapped on the back of the boy in front of me.
     He was dressed pretty fancy for this class, with a white button up and a blazer. His black hair was shaggy, and when he turned to look back at me, it nearly hit me in the face. His skin was tan and his eyes were a chestnut brown.
     I had only spoken to him a few times before, but we were in all of our classes together. He was a year younger than me, but we were in the same grade. He was a really smart guy. When I actually thought about it, he fit the 'smart Asian' stereotype pretty well.
     "Hey, Kevin. What page are we on?" I asked, leaning forward to hear his answer. He looked toward Ms. Todd quickly to see if she was watching, then turned back to me.
     "Page 394," he replied quickly, then faced the front of the classroom again. He was a good kid; he didn't get in trouble a lot, and he certainly didn't break rules. But he wasn't one of those uptight, 'no fun is allowed' types either. I heard him joking all the time with his friends. Mind you, it was about stuff that normal students wouldn't understand, but it was funny to most people who did understand it.
     I smiled at his back and patted his shoulder lightly, whispering, "Thanks."
     Knowing that I would get in trouble if I didn't soon start taking notes, I took out my textbook and a pencil, listening to Ms. Todd drone on.

     When the school day was over, I grabbed my bag from my locker and secured the lock. Turning around, I jumped in surprise when my body collided with another. The books and papers that the person had been holding fell to the floor, and I immediately bent down to pick them up.
     "I'm so sorry," I apologized, picking up a textbook, "I should really learn to look before I start walking."
     "That's okay, it was my fault," I heard a familiar voice say as they squatted down to help me. A tan hand reached out to collect a few papers, and I immediately knew who it was.
     "You sure do have a ton of books, Kev," I told him, standing up. There had to have been three textbooks and a stack of papers a few inches thick.
     "Oh, these are just my study notes for finals," he answered. I raised one of my eyebrows and chuckled, handing back his stuff.
     "How many classes are you in?" I asked, not believing that than many notes could come from four classes.
     "Four. I'm in all of your classes," he responded, trying to straighten everything out.
     "Yeah, I know," I told him. I suddenly felt nervous about finals.
     I had never been one to stress about school; for the most part, it came naturally to me. If Kevin Tran, who was practically a genius, had that many notes, how was I going to pass my finals with not even half of a notebook worth of scribbled words and doodles?
     "Hey Kev, if you have time, do you want to study together? Or are you too busy?" I inquired, hiking my bag up higher on my shoulder. Kevin looked down at me, as he was several inches taller, with a look of surprise on his face.
     "Yeah," he replied. I wasn't sure which question he was answering, but I expected the worse. He was probably too busy. I felt my face drop, and he quickly began speaking again. "I mean no. Yes and no," he stuttered. Pausing, he clarified, "Uh, I would love to study with you."
     "Great! What time is good for you?" I questioned, sending him a grin.
     "What about tomorrow at 6? We could go to the library," he suggested nervously. I wanted to laugh at how he was stumbling over his words, but I was afraid he would take it the wrong way. I didn't want to sound mean because I honestly thought his stuttering was adorable.
     "That's good for me. Do you want me to pick you up? I could drive us there," I told him, shuffling my feet.
     "That'd be great," he said. I waited for him to give me an address, but he only smiled at me awkwardly.
     "Uh, Kev, would you mind telling where you live?" I asked. Out of context, I would have sounded like a stalker.
     A look of realization crossed his face, making me giggle quietly.
     "Yeah, of course," he answered, fumbling to grab a pen from is breast pocket. He took the cap off with his mouth and wrote something down on one of the papers. "There it is. It's about 15 minutes from the school."
     "Okay, thanks," I said, placing the paper in my front pocket, "Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."
     "Yeah, see you tomorrow," he confirmed, smiling.
     Even though that was a form of farewell, neither of us moved. Instead, we stood there in an awkward silence. When Kevin received a shove from one of the other students, we realized that we were in the middle of the hallway.
     "Bye Kevin," I told him, pulling him into a one-armed hug. My cheek was against his, and I could've swore that he wasn't breathing. I don't know why I hugged him, but I had always been the hugging type.
     "Bye," he said in a daze when we released each other, lifting his hand to wave. Without another word, I smiled and turned, beginning to walk down the hall. When I reached the doors that led to the parking lot, I looked back at where we were just standing. He was still there with the same dazed look upon his face, watching me go.
     Chuckling, I raised my hand and waved, seeing him wave back through the mass of students.

     The next night, I pulled into Kevin's driveway and put my car in park. It was a simple black 1993 Cadillac. It was older than I was, but it was reliable.
     Unbuckling my seat belt, I opened my door and made my way to the house. I knocked gently on the front door, and soon it was opened by a small Asian woman. When I say small, I meant that she couldn't have been much taller than about five foot. She had smooth black hair that was similar to Kevin's, but longer. She looked at me suspiciously, raising one of her eyebrows.
     "And who might you be?" she asked briskly. I had a feeling that either Kevin hadn't told her that we were studying, or I was naturally a dislikable person. Hopefully it was the former.
     "Hello, ma'am. You must be Mrs. Tran. I'm Aleeyah Hutcherson," I held our my hand for her to shake, but she only stared at me blankly, so I lowered it again, "I go to school with Kevin. We were going to go to the library to study for finals if that's alright with you."
     "Well, I'm afraid that he is very-"
     "Aleeyah!" I heard Kevin exclaim. I looked past his mother and saw that he was coming down the stairs with his backpack over his shoulder.
     "Kevin, what are-" His mother attempted to speak again, but he cut her off by kissing her cheek and slipping past her.
     "I'll be back in a few hours, Mom!" Kevin yelled behind him as he pulled me to my car. He practically jumped in the passenger side, while I climbed in the driver's. I could see Mrs. Tran still standing in the doorway, yelling something, but I couldn't make it out.
     Putting the car in reverse, I backed out of the driveway and we began our journey to the public library.
     "She was nice," I told Kevin, plastering a fake smile on my face. Kevin just sighed and covered his face with one of his hands.
     "I'm sorry about her. She's kind of strict," he apologized sheepishly.
     "So, I'm guessing you didn't tell her," I said to him, glancing in his direction.
     "No, she wouldn't have let me leave the house if I had," he replied, gently nudging his backpack, which was on the floor of the car in front of him, with his foot.
     "Thank God, I was beginning to think that I was just an unlikable person," I joked, pulling into the parking lot of the library.
     "Nah, you're really easy to like," Kevin responded. Realizing what he said, his cheeks tinted pink. Shyly, I sent him a smile and stepped out of the car, being closely followed by Kevin as I made my way to the entrance of the library.

     About three hours later, we were still at the library, studying away. I felt as though I was about to fall asleep.
     Yawning, I propped my head up with my arm, resting my elbow on the desk I was working at. Kevin was diagonal from me at the end of the table, working diligently.
     I closed my eyes for a moment, and when I opened them, I saw that Kevin was staring at me with a small smile on his face. When he noticed that I had my eyes open, he quickly looked down at his book.
     "See something you like, Kev?" I asked tiredly, grinning at the boy. Kevin's cheeks flushed bright pink. He tried to put his head down farther so that I wouldn't see it, but I did anyway. Chuckling to myself, I went back to reading, and we spent a few moments in silence.
     "Yes," Kevin said simply. I looked up from my book, sending him a confused look.
     "What?" I questioned, not knowing what he was talking about.
     Kevin took a deep breath and spoke again, "Yes, I see something I like."
     I didn't reply for several seconds. I was scanning him for any signs of insincerity. But I couldn't find so much as a trace in his warm brown eyes.
     "So do I," I answered, smiling softly. I saw him glance down at my hand, which was on the table several inches from his. Hesitantly, he reached out and grabbed my hand. For reassurance, I gave his a slight squeeze.
     He sent me a quick grin and stood up, pulling me to my feet. He began to walk towards a few bookshelves, so I followed, my hand still in his.
     We were about halfway into the science section when he stopped abruptly, turning to me. Releasing my hand, he cupped my face. Gently, he backed me up against one of the bookshelves and bent his head down to my level. His lips were centimeters away from mine.
     His eyes darted up to mine, and one of his thumbs caressed my cheekbone. I smiled shyly, and that seemed to be all that Kevin needed.
     He softly placed his lips against mine, and I swear my head was spinning. It was simple, but meaningful; this was nothing that either of us had ever experienced before. It lasted a few more seconds, but I found myself hoping that it would never end.
     "Do you know what would happen if Mrs. Jones caught us?" I asked him when we separated.
     "Why do you think I brought us to the science section?" He grinned down at me, resting his forehead against mine. I could feel his warm breath against my lips, and it was driving me wild.
     Grinning back at him, I reached up and place one of my hands on the back of his neck, pulling him in again.