Either You're In Or You're Out ~ Benny Lafitte

I was running. Running as quickly as I could. There were two vampires on my trail, ready to attack at any given moment. I had a knife in my right hand and another hidden in my left sleeve, prepared to defend myself if I had to, which I would have to do soon; they were catching up to me. I was the only human in here as far as I knew, which made me their number one target. Where am I you might ask. Well, I'm in purgatory.
     As I entered a clearing, I was tackled to the ground. I managed to roll myself over so I was on my back, facing the vampire. I stabbed him with my knife, making him yell out in pain. While he was distracted, I shoved him off, standing. He was on the ground, so I jumped on him, pinning him down as I decapitated him.
     His friend grabbed me around the neck, cutting off my airways. Before he could kill me, I was thrown to the other side of the clearing. I could hear the distinct sound of a blade cutting through the air and finally taking off the vampire's head. I was still laying on the ground against the tree where I had landed. My back was to my savior. I tried to get up, but when I did, I felt pain shoot up my side. I had probably bruised the whole side of my body.
     I heard footsteps approach me. The person easily helped me up. When I turned to see his face, I stopped for a moment. He was very handsome. He had short brown hair and bright blue eyes. He was a solid build; not scrawny, but not fat. He looked very strong, but something was off about him; he didn't seem completely human.
     I was about to say thank you, but I stopped myself. That's when I saw it; his fangs were out, but when he saw me looking, he retracted them.
     "What, no thanks for saving your hide?" His voice was deep and his drawl fit him perfectly. He smirked at me and I swear I couldn't breath.
     "Thank you," I said to him, dusting myself off. I felt my head throbbing so I reached up to my forehead. I felt a warm, sticky liquid, and when I pulled it back, I saw that it was blood. I must have hit my head. I suddenly felt nervous; I was bleeding in front of a vampire. I didn't let it show, yet he seemed to sense it.
     "Don't worry, pretty lady; I won't hurt ya," he assured me. I raised my eyebrow, not believing him. "I would've let them take care of ya if I wanted ya dead."
     "Why would a vampire help me?" I asked him. I still had my blade hidden in my left sleeve, ready to attack if he does.
     "Is it a crime to help someone?"
     "No, it's just a little strange. So, why?" I persisted.
     "You and I both have something that the other wants," he told simply, not offering to explain. I looked at him expectantly, but he didn't continue.
     "Well? What could you possibly have that I would want?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows as I tried to think of what it could be.
     "A way out."
     "Bull. This is purgatory; there is no way out," I disagreed, shaking my head.
     "There is if you're human; God has made it so. At least, that's the rumor," he said, his eyes glued on me.
     "Prove it."
     "Nah," he shook his head slowly, "you're either in or you're out."
     "What's in it for you?" I inquired, squinting my eyes at him.
     "I'm hopping a ride," he told me.
     "Pardon me?"
     "It's a human portal, love; only humans can pass through. I show you the door; you help me get my soul to the other side," he explained.
     "So you're looking for a soul train." It wasn't a question. He gave me a suggestive look.
     "Sure. If that's what you're into." I scoffed.
     "And how do I know this isn't a set-up? How do I know I'm not going end up like your friend over there?" I motioned to the vampire he had decapitated.
     "He was my friend. Now you are. First rule of Purgatory, love. You can't trust nobody."
     "You just asked me to trust you," I pointed out, looking at him strangely, "I don't even know your name."
     "You see? You're getting it now," he congratulated me, smirking, "I'm Benny by the way. What about you, love?"
     "Kristina. Kristina Winchester."
     "A beautiful name for a beautiful woman," he complimented, "so, what do you say?"
     "Fine, I'll do it. But if I end up dead, I swear, I'm going to haunt your ass."

     I was out. No; we were out.
     I hitched a ride in a bright yellow truck with a farmer. When I got out, the driver pointed me in the right direction. I started my walk, gripping my arm.
     The sky was pitch black by the time I reached my destination, but it was worth it. I saw a gravestone that read, "LAFITTE". I passed it, walking to the windmill. I put my back to it and went exactly four paces out, just like Benny had told me.
     "This better be you, Benny." I started to dig, ignoring the pain in my arm. When I was finished, I hoisted myself out of the grave. There was a skeleton at the bottom. The pain in my arm was growing. I rolled up my sleeve, revealing a glowing spot on my arm "Hold on!" I took out my knife and sliced the glowing section, clenching my teeth as I did. "Anima corpori fuerit corpus totem resurgent," I chanted as a red glowing liquid leaked out of my arm and onto the bones. It was my blood, but at the same time, it wasn't entirely.
     Once it was all out, I collapsed to the ground, panting and groaning. I rolled down my sleeve, letting my arm drop afterwards. I didn't make an effort to stand. A man approached me. It was Benny!
     "That was fast," I stated, looking up at him as he stood over me.
     "It would've been faster if you hadn't taken your sweet time, love."
     "You're welcome," I rolled my eyes. He chuckled and held out a hand for me. I grabbed it and he helped me up. "Is everything working okay?" He cracked his neck.
     "Well enough," he replied. He let out his fangs, hissing as he did. He knew it made me uncomfortable, so he retracted them.
     "So, what now?" I asked him, biting my lip. We hadn't planned anything out because honestly, we didn't know we'd actually make it this far. For all I know, he could kill me in a second; he had gotten what he wanted after all.
     "Well, it isn't exactly safe for you to come with me. I don't think you'd like to watch me in action, either," he said to me, shrugging.
     I nodded, agreeing, "So this is goodbye?" I was saddened by the thought. I had only known Benny for a short time, but I grew attached to him. And despite him being a vampire, one of the many creatures I had devoted my life to killing, I think I had developed feelings for him.
     "Not forever; our paths will cross again," he told me. He shook his head, smiling, "We made it, love. I can't believe it." He pulled me in for a hug. He held me tightly and I did the same to him. I was going to miss him.
     "You and me both," I responded.

     I receive a call from an unknown number about a month later. When I answered it, I was in the Impala with my brothers, Sam and Dean, and my friend, Kevin at a gas station.
     "Hello, love." I immediately knew who it was. However, I hung up and told the boys it was an automated number. I left the Impala, telling them that I had to go to the bathroom. I went around to the side of the building. I called the number back, hearing it ring. "There she is."
     "How did you get a phone?" I smiled.
     "Would you believe they sell these things in convenience stores now? A lot has changed in 50 years."
     "Yeah it has, old man," I replied, hearing him chuckle on the other end of the line, "Must be a lot to take in."
     "Yeah, it is," he said, but his voice sounded closer. I turned around and saw Benny there, smirking, "Miss me, love?"
     "You have no idea," I responded, smiling. He suddenly leaned down, crashing his lips against mine. They faintly tasted like blood, but I ignored it. Despite the surprise of it, it was sweet. It definitely wasn't something I was expecting from a vampire. I pulled away first, "My brothers are just around the corner; if they saw you, they'd kill you."
     "Let them watch; their threats won't change how I feel about you."