Thank You ~ Dean Winchester

I was sitting on the floor, surrounded by boxes. Beside me, my mother sat, holding a picture frame in her hands. It was a picture of her and my father on their wedding day. Dad had died a little over a month ago from a heart attack. I had finished University only a few months before that, so I decided to move back in with my family to help support them. I didn't know how stable Mom would be either.
     She had decided that she wanted to just get up and leave the town, so here we are. We moved into a fair sized house in Lawrence, Kansas. It had looked nice from the outside, but the inside was much less inviting.
     It wasn't that it looked creepy or anything. On the contrary, it looked very cozy. But it gave me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Of course, when I told Mom, she just said that I wasn't used to it and that we would be happy in the house.
     Bull. I didn't believe it for a moment. I didn't get odd feelings like that often, so when I did, I paid attention to them.
     "Mommy?" my little sister, Sari, asked quietly. My mother and I looked up at her.
     "Hey, sweetie. Why aren’t you in bed?" Mom asked gently. I was twenty three, so I was staying up to help her.
     "There’s something in my closet," replied Sari. She took Mom's hand and led her up the stairs to show her, leaving me on the floor by myself.
     I heard a faint scratching sound coming from below me.
     "Great, we have rats," I mumbled, grabbing a flashlight. I slowly made my way down the stairs, trying to see with the small amount of light the battery powered device gave me. I tried to turn on the light switch at the bottom of the stairs, but it didn't work. Sighing, I walked forward to the light bulb that hung in the middle of the ceiling, pulling the cord. It, too, would not turn on.
     Looking around, I saw a small black trunk. I had always been a curious girl. Well I called it curiosity. Mom called it nosiness.
     I approached it and opened it, looking inside. There were photographs that were almost as old as I was and other things such as children's crafts and letters.
     I skimmed through some of the pictures. There was a man in one. He looked to be around my mother's age. The next one was of him and a beautiful blonde woman. I presumed that it was his wife. The last one I looked at was of the two adults and two children. One of them was just a baby and the other was about four or five. I smiled as I saw it. They seemed so happy. I flipped it over and saw there were names written on the back.
     The Winchesters.  John, Mary, Dean and Little Sammy.
     I closed the trunk and stood up. I was about to pick it up to bring it upstairs, but my thoughts were interrupted by my sister's scream.

     A few days later, I heard a knock on the door. Mom was busy with Ritchie, my little brother, so I went to answer it. When I opened the door I saw two men, casually dressed. One was a bit taller than the other, but they were both taller than me. They were both good looking men, but I thought the shorter one looked best.
     "Hello?" I asked them, waiting for them to introduce themselves. The shorter one began to speak.
     "Sorry to bother you, ma’am, but we’re with the Federal-," he started, but he was cut off by the other man.
     "I’m Sam Winchester, and this is my brother, Dean. We used to live here. You know, we were just driving by, and we were wondering if we could come see the old place," he explained.
     "Winchester?" I muttered, trying to remember where I had heard the name. The photos! "Oh, right. You know, I think I found some of your photos the other night."
     "You did?" Dean questioned, making me nod.
     "Who's at the door?" Mom asked, coming up behind me.
     "Sam and Dean Winchester. They used to live here and were wondering if they could come look around. They're the two kids in the picture I told you about," I said to her.
     "Well, don't leave them standing out there, let them in."
     I smiled at them and stepped aside, letting them enter the house. Dean smiled back at me and I could feel my heart rate quicken slightly.
     I lead them to the kitchen and continued making Sari her breakfast. Mom introduced Sam and Dean to Ritchie and Sari. I zoned out a bit, concentrating on what I was doing. I placed Sari's breakfast in front of her, trying to pick up on the conversation.
     "Jay?" she tugged on my sleeve. I crouched down to her level, waiting for her to continue. "Ask them if it was here when they lived here."
     They must have heard her. "What Sari?" Sam asked her.
     "The thing in my closet," she replied.
     "Oh, no, baby, there was nothing in their closets," Mom cut in, glancing at the brothers, "right?"
     "Right. No, no, of course not," Sam told her.
     "She had a nightmare the other night," Mom explained.
     "I wasn’t dreaming. It came into my bedroom and it was on fire." I saw them exchange glances.

     A few nights later, Missouri, a friend of Sam and Dean, was leading us out of the house.
     "Look, I’m not sure I’m comfortable leaving you guys here alone," Mom said to her. I stopped and turned to them.
     "Then I'll stay," I say. Missouri was about to protest, but I cut her off, "I know what to do, Dean explained what you guys were doing. I can help. It'll be quicker," I tried to persuade her.
     "Hun, your stubbornness is gonna be the end of ya," Missouri told me, but let me stay.
     I was on the main floor with Dean. I could hear him hitting the wall with his ax. I was taking care of the living room and I had just got the hole made when I heard a clang from behind me. I turned just in time to see a fire poker flying towards me. I moved out of the way and it hit the wall only inches from my face. I let out a sigh of relief, but it quickly ended when I saw books begin to take themselves off the shelves.
     They zoomed in my direction and I felt myself get pushed out of the way and behind the couch. It was Dean.
     I was crouched into a ball on the hardwood floor. My head was buried into Dean's chest. He had his arms around me, shielding me from the books. He took the impact of a few of them, but most went right past us.
     "You okay?" his deep voice sounded concerned.
     "Yeah, I'm fine," I told him, looking up at him. His gaze met mine and I could feel myself leaning in. Our lips were about to touch when a book flew at us, barely missing. We jumped apart. My cheeks were warm as we ran upstairs to help Sam.

     A while later we were finished and the three of them left. I was sitting in my bed, wide awake and thinking about what had happened. Mom had rushed Sam, Dean and Missouri out so quick I hadn't even gotten the chance to thank them.
     Suddenly, my bed started to shake. I screamed, trying to stabilize myself. I quickly got off the bed and ran to the door. It wouldn't budge. The window was my only option. It too was stuck.
     I saw Dean's Impala sitting on the other side of the street. Both of the Winchester brothers were inside. I started to pound on the window, screaming for them to help. Sam must have saw me because he rushed out of the car and Dean soon followed. I tried the door again, pulling on the doorknob, but still wouldn't let me open it.
     "Jay?" Dean yelled from the other side of the door.
     "I can't open the door!" I shouted back, panicked.
     "Stand back," he told me. I did what he said and heard a bang. The door busted open to reveal Dean Winchester. He grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him as we ran down the hall.
     "What about Mom and the kids?"
     "Sam's got them, c'mon!"
     When we got outside it wasn't long before Mom ran out, followed by Sari, who was holding Ritchie's hand.
     "Are you okay?" I asked them. They all nodded, visibly shaken. I imagined I looked about the same.
     "Sari, where's Sam?" Dean inquired urgently.
     "He's inside. Something got him."
     Without another word, Dean rushed to his car and popped the trunk. He grabbed a gun and an ax and ran to the house. He smashed a hole in the front door with the ax and crawled in, leaving us outside by ourselves.

     The next day it was all over and done with. I stood by the Impala, saying goodbye to the boys. I had given them the trunk that I had found the first night I was there.
     "Thank you," Dean said as he looked through some of the photos.
     "Don't thank me, they're yours," I replied. He placed the trunk in the car and called for Sam. "So I guess this is goodbye?"
     "Yeah I guess so," he looked down at me.
     "Thank you," I told him, then leaned up and pecked his lips, "that's for yesterday."
     Without a word, he came closer to me and cupped my face with one of his hands. He leaned down and pulled me into a kiss. It was slow and gentle, but at the same time it was passionate.
     "You're welcome," he told me after he pulled away. Silently, he and Sam got into the Impala and drove off. Placing my hands in my pockets, I could feel a piece of paper against my hand. I pulled it out and laughed.

Maybe you shouldn't own as many books. I hear they're dangerous.