Best Birthday Ever ~ Dean Winchester

"Hey Dean, it's Deanna. Is everything okay? You haven't replied to any of my texts. Did you get any info about that Wardle woman? Call me back when you get a chance."
     I closed my phone and sighed, setting it on my lap. Dean had gone out around town by himself to get some information on Zena Wardle, a woman that had been killed a few days ago. He had been gone for hours and hadn't replied to any of my messages. I was getting worried; Dean always checked in to see how Sam and I were doing and to update us on what he had found out.
     I took off my glasses, rubbing my eyes tiredly. We had been at this case since dawn and it was now ten at night, so I was getting pretty tired. Despite it being my birthday, I had to work the case. Cases can't just be put on hold to celebrate that I had actually lived another year. No one else knew it was my birthday, anyway, but I didn't mind. We had more important things to worry about.
     Sam had left about half an hour ago to look for his brother, but he had told me to stay at the motel since I could barely keep my eyes open. I put on my glasses again and stood up, pacing across the carpet floor.
     Where could Dean be? It was kind of late to be asking townspeople about the missing woman. Unless... I thought.
     The door banged open, revealing a grinning Dean. He was swaying on his feet. I rushed over to steady him. I draped his arm over my shoulder and held his torso. It was a bit difficult to keep him up since I was so small compared to him.
     "Dean? Where have you been?" I questioned, leading him over to one of the beds. When I went to sit him down, he refused to let go of my shoulder and brought me down with him. Not that I minded, though.
     "At a bar," he told me, still grinning happily. I could smell the liquor on his breath.
     "What were you doing at a bar?" I asked disbelievingly.
     "What was I doing? I was drinking!" he laughed, "I saw some hot women, too," he seemed to think for a minute, "but none of them were as beautiful as you." I felt myself blush. He thought I was beautiful?
     To tell you the truth, I had always had a bit of a crush on Dean. Sure, he picked up a lot of women at bars, but when it came down to it, he was really sweet. You just had to see him from all angles.
     "I think you should get some sleep," I told him, trying to get him to lay down. He wouldn't. He released my shoulders and hugged my waist tightly, laying his head on my shoulder.
     "But if I go to sleep, I won't be able to see you," he pouted. I was surprised by his drunken behaviour, but I wasn't really complaining. He was like a little kid in a way.
     "You should have come back sooner then," I said, wrapping an arm around him as I played with his short brown hair.
     "But I was sober," he answered, his speech slightly slurred.
     "What's wrong with that?" I inquired, not understanding.
     "When I'm sober, I'm a coward."
     "You're not a coward, Dean. You're never scared when we're hunting," I protested, but he cut me off.
     "I'm not talking about when we're hunting," he said, burying his head into my neck.
     "What are you talking about then?" I asked. He lifted his head to look me in the eyes.
     "I'm a coward when I'm with you."
     "What?" I moved my gaze from one eye to the other, trying to read them.
     "I can say and do stuff when I'm drunk cause I'm not gonna remember you turning me away," he told me. I cupped his face in my hand, rubbing my thumb across his cheek.
     "I'd never turn you away, Dean," I said gently, smiling softly at him to reassure that it had been the truth.
     He reached up and took my glasses off my face, setting them on the nightstand. They were for distance, so it didn't really affect my sight.
     He leaned up slowly, giving me time to pull back if I wanted to, and brushed his lips against mine. I placed my second hand on the back on his neck, bringing him the rest of the way.
     He tasted like liquor and apple pie, leading me to believe that he had stopped at a grocery store before he came back. His lips were cold from being outside, making goose bumps raise up on my arms.
     He snaked his arm back around my waist again and mine found their way to his shoulders. One slid down slowly to his chest, while the other went up to play with the hair at the nape of his neck.
     He lifted my small figure onto his lap, not breaking the kiss. I moved my hand from his neck, tracing his jaw with my index figure. He leaned back, bringing me with him as he laid on the bed with me on top of him.
     Pulling back for air, I rolled off of him, watching his mouth turn up at the corners as he smiled. He turned his head to the side, looking at my lips, then my eyes.
     "I love you, Deanna," he confessed, waiting for my reaction. I pecked his lips, and laid my head on his chest, feeling it rise and fall with every breath. I rested my arm across his body and he held me with one of his arms, placing the other behind his head.
     "I love you too, Dean. I always have."

     Three words: Best. Birthday. Ever.