Happy New Year ~ Sam Winchester

I rang the door bell of the Winchester residence. It was New Year's eve and they were hosting a small gathering. I heard footsteps approaching the door, until it opened to reveal the smiling face of Mary Winchester. Her blond hair was half pinned up delicately and her bright blue eyes were sparkling with happiness.

"Oh Konnor, I'm so glad you could make it," she smiled, embracing me in a motherly hug. I wrapped my arms around her as well. I truly thought of her as a second mother. Mine had died when I was six, so it was nice to have a woman as kind as Mary to take her place. We separated and her husband, John, came up behind her.

He wrapped his arms around her middle and kissed her cheek, smiling kindly at me. I nodded my head in greeting, returning the smile.

I was guided into the living room, where their sons, Sam and Dean, and Dean's girlfriend, Lily were. Dean was seated on a chair with Lily sitting in his lap, while Sam was all alone on the love seat. I laughed quietly and went to join him.

"Hey, Sammy," I said, leaning into his side. His arm snaked around my waist as he grinned down at me, kissing my forehead.

"Hey," he pulled me closer to him, then whispered in my ear, "you look beautiful, Konnor." My cheeks turned pink as I looked down at my outfit. I was wearing a red dress that came down to my knees. Its sleeves were loose and reached my elbows, while the rest of the dress was moderately tight.

"Thanks," I smiled, "you look pretty good yourself." He was wearing black suit pants and a white button up shirt that was tucked in loosely. The shirt clung to his arms, showing his defined muscles. He was clean-shaven and his shaggy hair hung down across his forehead.

"Would you like some wine, Konnor?" Mary offered politely, smiling gently as she looked at her youngest son and I. It seemed as if she knew something that I didn't, but I shrugged off the thought. She was an adult; she probably knew lots of things that I didn't.

"Yes please, Mary," I nodded, accepting her offer.

In a few hours, the six of us were sitting, laughing together. Well, John, Mary, Lily and I were laughing. Mary was telling us stories of when Sam and Dean were little. Both of their faces were bright red. By that time, I was on Sam's lap, and I could feel him press his warm face against the back of my neck, trying to hide it.

I turned and kissed the top of his head, playing with his hair. He took my hand in his and held it, preventing me from continuing. He made a motion for me to stand so I did, seeing him stand also. He looked at Mary and grinned, making me confused.

"It's almost midnight," John announced, kissing Mary's temple. They looked so happy together. I could only hope that that would be Sam and I one day. John and Mary have a wonderful marriage and two wonderful, beautiful children.

Sam led me over to the fireplace, where he stood and faced me. Dean snickered and pointed above us. Looking up, I saw mistletoe hanging above our heads.

"You sneaky, sneaky man," I teased, slowly stepping closer and placing my hands on his chest, "you just wanted an excuse to kiss me."

"Maybe I did," Sam replied, smirking.

"You're something else, Sammy," I laughed, placing my head against his chest, hearing his constant heart beat, "I love this, and I never want it to end."

"There is one thing I don't like though," he told me, making me lift my head to look at him.

"What is it?" I questioned, trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong.

"I don't like your name," he confessed, "you should change it." I understood where this was leading. Well, I hoped it was leading where I thought it was.

"Really? What should I change it to?" I playfully asked, wrapping my arms around his neck. His found their way to my waist, pulling me closer. He leaned in, resting his forehead against mine.

"Winchester," he whispered, staring into my forest green eyes. I smiled and he did the same. "Will you marry me?"

"Of course I will Sammy," I whispered back, closing the space between us and pressing my lips against his soft pink ones. We pulled away and he removed a small box from behind a picture frame on the mantle. Opening it, he took out a ring and slipped it on my finger. It wasn't big and flashy, which I was grateful for. It was a thin silver band with a three small diamonds in a row. "Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year, Konnor."

"Way to go, Sammy!" Dean cheered, coming over to pat his brother on the back. He hugged me with one arm and Sam with the other. John stood and laid his hand on Sam's shoulder.

"I'm proud of you, Sam. You've found a great girl. Just don't let her go," he smiled proudly down at his son. He hugged me gently, and I could faintly hear him mumble something in my ear. "You're a wonderful girl. Just try not to hurt my boy." We separated and I nodded, smiling up at him. He nodded also, backing away to let Mary approach us. In seconds I was squeezed into a tight hug.

"I'm glad that you said yes," she whispered, "you're family now, even more so than before."

I could feel my eyes begin to itch as tears formed in my eyes. I had never heard any of them refer to me as family. To hear those words from the woman I looked up to the most meant the world to me.

"Thank you," I said to her, burying my face into her beautiful blond hair, "you have no idea how much that means to me."

She pulled away, holding me at arm's length, "You were always considered family to us, never doubt that."