What Could You Possible Say? ~ Dean Winchester

We were driving down an empty road in Dean's '67 Impala when Dean suddenly pulled off to the side of the road. He got out without a word and leaned on the hood of the car, staring straight ahead.
     Sam looked back at me, silently asking me what was going on. I shook my head; I had no idea what Dean was doing.
     We both opened our doors and came around to the front, looking at the oldest Winchester brother.
     "What is it Dean?" Sam asked, clueless. I had a vague idea of what this was about.
     "I'm sorry," were Dean's only words.
     "For what?" Sam sounded like a lost little boy.
     "The way I've been acting," Dean replied. Sam and I moved to lean on the hood with him. I was in the middle, close to Dean but not quite touching. It seemed like we sat for a long time in silence, but it was only a little over a minute. "And for Dad," Dean added, "I mean, he was your dad too, Sam," he seemed to be struggling to find the right words, "it's my fault that he's gone."
     Sam shook his head, "What are you talking about?"
     "I know you've been thinking it. So have I. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out," he explained, "back at the hospital, I made a full recovery. It was a miracle. And five minutes later Dad's dead and the Colt's gone."
     "Dean," I began to protest, but he was stubborn.
     "You can't tell me there's not a connection there. I don't know how the demon was involved. I don't know how the whole thing went down exactly. But Dad's dead because of me. And that much I do know."
     "We don't know that. Not for sure," Sam told him gently, trying to convince Dean. 
     "Sam..." he trailed off, "you, Dad and Belle... you're the most important people in my life. And now," he paused, "I never should've come back. It wasn't natural. And now look what's come of it. I was dead. And I should have stayed dead," his lip quivered and I could see tears form in his eyes, "you wanted to know how I was feeling. Well, that's it." Sam and I nodded understandingly. "So tell me. What could you possibly say to make that all right?" A single tear fell from his right eye as he looked at us. The two of us were unable to respond. We were at loss for words. 
     That night, before I went to sleep I sat on the edge of the motel bed Dean was sleeping on. He could most likely feel me there, for his body tensed as I smoothed out his hair.
     "I don't know what to say to make it alright, Dean," I confessed. I could feel him relax again at the sound of my voice. "You just have to trust me."