Pagan Romance ~ Gabriel

I sat in a room full of Pagan Gods. Well, there were two humans, the Winchester brothers, but the rest of us were so-called Gods. I personally thought that we boasted too much; we weren't nearly as powerful as we let on. Kali and Baldur were telling that we needed to come up with a way to destroy Lucifer. Zao Shen and Odin were arguing, but when Sam and Dean stood up to leave, Kali made a chandelier fall in front of them, silencing everyone in the room. I decided that now would be the best time to speak up.
     "With all due respect, ma'am," I said to Kali, "we haven't even tried talking to them. Surely we could do this in a more civilized manor." Kali turned to look at me, and I soon found myself choking. Blood started to drip from my mouth. The Winchesters were staring at me oddly, whether it was because of my words or my current state, I did not know. Suddenly, the ballroom doors opened, making Kali lose her focus. I could breath once more and I was no longer bringing up blood.
     "Can't we all just get along?" Gabriel shouted as he entered the room. Yes, I knew he was Gabriel, the Archangel. The others though he was some Pagan God named Loki. Sam started to say something, but Gabriel made a hand motion and neither Sam nor Dean were able to speak.
     He made some witty remark to the two of them, but Baldur stood and spoke, grabbing his attention. Gabriel walked past the brothers and smirked at Baldur, before he glanced down at me, concerned. Not enough so for the others to notice, of course, but enough that I could see it.

     The next day, we were all gathered in the ballroom again. Gabriel was sitting in a chair facing Kali. She was going to reveal who he really was. They exchanged words, and when she sat on his lap, I felt jealousy bubble inside me. You see, Gabriel and I had had a 'thing' going on for about a century a long time ago. He and Kali had been together too, but they only used each other for sex and excitement. Gabriel and I weren't like that.
     No, we had a real relationship. I mean, if you're together for a whole century, there has to be more than just lust and entertainment, or else you would get bored. Kali was the reason we split, actually. She had me trapped by a blood tie to get her revenge. I've been stuck with her and these other pathetic excuses for Gods for quite some time now.
     Kali ran her hand over Gabriel's chest, sliding it lower and lower. When she reached his belt, she removed from it an Archangel blade.
     "An Archangel blade, from the Archangel Gabriel," Kali revealed, staring at him.
     "Okay, okay! So I got wings, like Kotex," Gabriel confessed, "but that doesn't make me any less right about Lucifer."
     "He's lying. He's a spy," Kali tried to convince us. I scoffed.
     "He's not a spy, he's a runaway!" Her head snapped towards me.
     "You knew, Lucy?" she spat, "you knew and you didn't tell us?"
     "Of course I knew. But you're kinda holding me here against my will, so why would I tell you?" I retorted. Gabriel sighed, regaining our attention.
     "I'm trying to save you. I know my brother, Kali. He should scare the living crap out of you. You can't beat him. I've skipped ahead, seen how this story ends-"
     "Your story. Not ours. Westerners, I swear. The sheer arrogance. You think you're the only ones on Earth? You pillage and you butcher in your God's name. But you're not the only religion, and he's not the only God. And now you think you can just rip the planet apart? You're wrong. There are billions of us. And we were here first. If anyone gets to end this world, it's me," she interrupted him. She brought her voice down to a whisper, and I could barely hear her, "I'm sorry."
     She plunged the blade into his heart, killing him. I stood and stepped towards her, but she pointed the weapon at me, making me stop. If it could kill Gabriel, it could kill me.
     "They can die. We can kill Lucifer," she announced. Dean stood and offered to summon Lucifer if they released the people who were being held in the freezer. They agreed, while I wanted more than anything to slap him upside the head. Well, there was one other thing I wanted.
     I wanted Gabriel back.

     I stood facing Lucifer. Sam and Dean were shielded by the couch that I had told them to hide behind. Baldur laid, dead, on the floor in front of Kali and I. She tried to use her powers to hurt Lucifer, but they didn't work, and soon she was dead too. I tried to talk to Lucifer, but he wasn't having any of it. In his mind, my kind were worse than humans.
      I had no problem with humans, and quite frankly, I agreed with him. Pagan Gods, myself included, were nothing but cowards.
     He stood above me, his leg raised. He was about to bring it down and kill me, when he flew against the doors, making them fly open. Letting out a small sound on impact, he slid down the far wall. Gabriel stood near me, holding his Archangel blade; the real Archangel blade.
     "Luci, I'm home." Lucifer advanced towards us, but Gabriel stopped him by holding out the blade. "Not this time," Gabriel told his brother, helping me up. He held me close to him and I clutched to his side, not taking my eyes off of Lucifer. "Sam, Dean, take Lucy and get out of here."
     I scoffed, "Not a chance, Gabe. You boys go." I could tell that Gabriel was not happy with my decision, but he went with it, pushing me behind him.
     "Over a girl. Gabriel, really? I mean I knew you were slumming, but I hope you didn't catch anything," Lucifer said, disgusted. I raised one of my eyebrows at him, not impressed. Apparently, neither was Gabriel.
     "Lucifer, you're my brother. And I love you. But you are a great big bag of dicks," he insulted.
     "Wait, what did you just say to me?" Lucifer asked. He tried to approached, but Gabriel stopped him with the blade again.
     "Look at yourself! Boo hoo! Daddy was mean to me, so I'm gonna smash up all his toys," Gabriel mocked, looking up at his brother.
     "Watch your tone," the older Archangel warned, looking over Gabe's shoulder at me, "or I'll have to smash up another one." Gabriel hid his anger from the man in front of him.
     "Play the victim all you want. But you and me? We know the truth. Dad loved you best. More than Michael, more than me. Then he brought the new baby home and you couldn't handle it. So this is all just one big temper tantrum. Time to grow up."
     "Gabriel, if you're doing this for Michael..." Lucifer put his hands up, but he didn't get to finish.
     "Screw him. If he were standing here, I'd shiv his ass too," Gabe spat, glaring.
     "You disloyal-" Lucifer started, pointed at his brother.
     "Oh I'm loyal," Gabriel told him, "to them." He reached back and gripped my hand.
     "Who? These so called Gods? To that thing standing behind you," Lucifer scoffed. I was getting annoyed.
     "To people, Lucifer. People," I spoke to him as if he was a child. He narrowed his eyes at me.
     "So you're in on it too?" he continued when I nodded, "your both willing to die for a pile of cockroaches. Why?"
     "Because Dad was right. They are better than us," Gabe confessed. Lucifer was quick to reply.
     "They are broken; flawed abortions!"
     "Damn right they're flawed," I told him, stepping out from behind Gabriel, "but a lot of them try. To do better, to forgive."
     "And you should see the Spearmint Rhino! I've been riding the pine a long time. But I'm in the game now, and I'm not on your side, or Michael's. I'm on theirs," the younger Archangel declared.
     "Brother don't make me do this," Lucifer begged, shaking his head.
     "No one makes us do anything," Gabriel replied, hoping that his brother understood. I could see the real Gabriel creeping up behind the devil, his blade raised.
     "I know you think you're doing the right thing, Gabriel. But I know where your heart truly lies," he whispered, his eyes flickering towards me. Instead of going after me like I thought he would, he spun around and grabbed Gabriel's wrist, making him plunge the sword into his own heart. I was too shocked to speak. "Here. Amateur hocus pocus. Don't forget, you learned all your tricks from me, little brother." The fake Gabriel disappeared from beside me. Lucifer dug the blade in farther and soon, Gabriel was lying on the floor, dead. Lucifer seemed to be showing genuine signs of remorse, but the devil couldn't feel, could he?
     I rushed over to Gabriel, placing my hand on his face. There was blood trickling out the side of his mouth, so I wiped it away gently. I buried my head in his chest, letting the tears roll down my cheeks. Behind me, Lucifer stood still. He didn't make a move to kill me at all, which I found surprising. I didn't turn and let him see my tears, for that would only satisfy him.
     I held Gabe's body in my arms tightly, not wanting to let him go. I leaned down and got close to his ear, brushing away his hair with my trembling fingers.
     "I love you, Gabriel. So much."