Tears of an Angel ~ Castiel

'Cas I need your help,' Dean's prayer rang through Castiel's ears, 'Shai got hurt pretty bad. We don't know if she's strong enough to make it to the hospital.'
     Even though Dean had only thought it in his mind, Castiel could hear that it was thickly laced with emotion. His words were rushed and it reminded him of when Sam was hurt; Dean sounded so urgent.
     Emotions were still something that Castiel was trying to figure out. He understood that Dean cared for Sam, but he was still trying to understand the reason why he cared so much for Shai.
     Shai William, a girl that the Winchester brothers had know for less than a year. Someone who they had helped while they were hunting. But she wasn't any relation to them, so why did they seem so protective over her?
     He himself felt the need to protect her, but he dismissed that it was only because Dean and Sam felt that way. But that didn't explain why he felt as if he wanted to retreat every time he was near her. He felt his hands sweat and his heart seemed to pick up its pace. He couldn't understand. He didn't feel that way when he was around the brothers.
     Castiel quickly appeared at Dean's side, where he knew he would find Shai. For some odd reason, he felt as though he had had his heart ripped out of his chest when he saw her. She looked so broken. Blood was slowly soaking through her blue t-shirt, making it a purple colour that Castiel never wanted to see again. She had been stabbed.
     Sam was clutching on to Shai's hands and Dean was holding onto her body for dear life, knowing that she didn't have much time left. Dean wanted to rush her to the hospital, but Sam had reminded him that the nearest hospital was miles away. They would never make it in time.
     Castiel's gaze fell into her face, which was covered in cuts, scratches, forming bruises and blood. There was so much blood.
     It ran down her cheeks and her neck. Her pale skin, which was even paler due to the loss if blood she had endured, was barely visible under it all.
     He stepped gingerly towards the three humans. Dean looked up right away, hearing his footsteps. He didn't even try to smile. There was a girl in his arms that was nearly dead. She had gotten herself hurt while trying to protect the brothers. Dean blamed himself.
     Shai's breathing was becoming shallower as the seconds passed. Her eyes were drooping and her grip on Sam's hands was loosening.
     Castiel placed his fingertips on the woman's forehead, but when nothing happened, he was confused. Why weren't his powers working? He had just zapped himself to Dean's side.
     He could only come up with one conclusion; God was punishing him. Castiel had rebelled and this was part of his punishment. Shai was dying and there was nothing the three of them could do to stop it.
     He dropped to his knees beside the young woman, placing his hand over her chest. Still, nothing worked. He felt her pulse in her neck and panicked when he felt that it was only a faint and weak thump.....thump......thump.
     It was getting slower and slower. None of them spoke as all of this occurred. It was getting fainter. Thump........thump.............thump..........
     It stopped completely. 
    Castiel moved to sit beside Sam, closer to her head, which had felt limply back against Dean's arm. He took her from Dean's grip and held her tightly, staring down at her.
     Her eyes were wide open, lifelessly looking back at him. He closed them as he felt something wet roll down his cheek. He felt his face and found that it was a tear. A single, warm, salty tear.
     Castiel had never cried before. He had seen Sam and Dean cry, but even that was rare. When he glanced up at them, he saw the same tiny, clear droplets running down Sam's face. Dean, trying to keep himself together, only let one fall.
     Castiel suddenly felt angry, or at least, that was what he thought he felt. He couldn't believe what God had done. How could He let Shai die? She had been a kind person. Before the Winchesters had saved her, and even afterwards, she had attended church almost every Sunday. So why did he just let her heart stop?
     But his anger soon turned into what he assumed to be sadness and grief. Shai was dead.
     He knew that Dean wasn't much for crying or what he called 'chick flick moments,' but he couldn't help himself as he felt more tears escape his eyes. A quiet whimper left his parted lips as he leaned down, burying his head into her neck and ran his hand over her hair, which was caked with blood.
     The Winchester brothers didn't know what to say. Cas had never shown that much emotion. But they both stared, their mouths gaping slightly as they saw something odd begin to happen.
     As Castiel's tears ran down his face and onto Shai's skin, they seemed to disappear almost instantly, as if they were being soaked up by a sponge.
     A bright, golden light burst from her chest, making Cas pull back from her. He still held her as the light slowly dimmed and went out.
     Eventually, Shai's eyes fluttered open. She began to breath, her chest moved up and down and her pulse started to beat. Her green eyes scanned Castiel's face. She noted that his already piercing blue eyes were bluer now that they were surrounded by a red ring.
     Tears were still slowly sliding down his face, so she removed one of her hands from Sam's and wiped it away, smiling weakly. Her hand stayed there and Cas placed his on top if her's.
     "Hello Castiel," she seemed to gain strength, because her smile was brighter, "glad you could make it." Castiel's tears stopped. She was acting as if she hadn't just died.
     "How did you do that?" Sam spoke up, still holding tightly to her other hand.
     "I don't know," Cas replied honestly, "I've never seen it happen before."
     "Let's just be thankful that she's alive," Dean told them, smiling down at Shai.
     "Well, what are we sitting here for? Let's hit the road!" Shai exclaimed, standing with a little help from Cas.
     They were all watching her carefully, but none of them more so than Castiel. As they headed towards the Impala, Shai stayed back a good ten feet with Cas.
     "Thank you," Shai said to the angel.
     "My powers didn't work. I couldn't heal you," he replied, still confused as to why God had let her die in the first place.
     "Yeah, but you healed me with something stronger," his companion told him. He didn't understand, so she explained, "Angel tears are one of the most powerful things in the world. They have to be genuine tears though. You have to care for the person your tears touch or it won't effect them. That's why it is unknown to so many angels; they don't care about humans."
     "I care for you," Castiel confessed. Shai stopped them and gazed up at her friend. He was only a few inches taller than herself.
     "And I, you, Cas," she spoke. Castiel suddenly gripped her small hands in his large ones. She gently squeezed them.
     "I am still attempting to understand the standard emotions of a human. So far, I'm not doing very well. But what I feel at this very moment, I believe you would consider it to be love," he was very awkward as he spoke, but he was genuine.
     Shai laughed good naturedly, understanding what he was trying to say, "I love you too, Cas." Impulsively, she grabbed his tie and pulled him down to her level, crashing her lips against his.