My New Heaven ~ Adam Milligan

Castiel gripped his forehead in pain, groaning slightly. I moved beside him, but didn't touch him. I knew better than to touch an angel when something was up.
     "Cas, you okay?" I asked, scanning my eyes over him for any proof of physical injury. There was none.
     "No," he replied simply, releasing his head.
     "What's wrong?" Sam spoke up, concerned for the angel.
     "Something's happening."
     "Where?" Dean questioned, watching Castiel. Without another word, Castiel disappeared into thin air, making a few papers blow off of Bobby's desk.
     Not long after he left, he appeared again. I stood from my seat beside Bobby, surprised to see that he wasn't alone. Over his shoulder, he carried a boy covered in mud.
     "Help," Cas said, setting the boy down on the bed a few feet away.
     When I saw his face, I couldn't deny that he was handsome, even with mud covering nearly every inch of his skin. He had what looked like brownish blonde hair and pale skin, but I couldn't be sure.
     Bobby rolled himself over to the bed, looking at the boy. "Who is it?" he asked, confused. The colour seemed to drain out of both Sam and Dean's faces.
     "That's our brother," Sam told us, staring at the youngest Winchester relative. I sat on the edge of the boy's bed, feeling his wrist for a pulse. I could feel a strong thump, thump, thump. I placed my hand on his forehead to check his temperature. It seemed normal.
     "Wait a minute. Your brother? Adam?" Bobby tried to clarify. Sam nodded.
     Adam. That was a nice name.
     "Cas, what the hell?" Dean asked the angel. Cas laid two angel blades on Bobby's desk.
     "Angels."
     "Angels? Why?" Sam questioned, not understanding. Cas shook his head, beginning to approach Adam. I moved to let him through, removing my hand from Adam's forehead.
     "I know one thing for sure; we need to hide him," Castiel said, placing his hand on Adam's chest, over his ribs. His hand began to glow and Adam's eyes shot open. He groaned, but Cas didn't move his hand. When he did, Adam shot up to a sitting position. He was close to me, but he didn't back away.
     He stared at me with icy grey eyes, breathing heavily. He moved his gaze to Bobby, Cas, his brothers, then me again.
     "Where am I?" he asked semi-urgently. He had a deep voice. Not as deep as Cas', but still fairly deep.
     "It's okay. Just relax, you're safe," I assured him, smiling softly to calm him down. For some reason I couldn't explain, I felt as if that was all I needed to say. He looked as if he trusted me, but he didn't trust anyone else in the room. He glanced between Sam and Dean.
     "Who the hell are you?"
     Dean cleared his throat, "You're going to find this a little," he stopped and corrected himself, "a lot crazy, but we're actually your brothers."
     "It's the truth; John Winchester was our father, too," Sam explained calmly, seeing the disbelieving look on Adam's ground-covered face, "See, I'm Sam-"
     "Yeah, and I'm sure that's Dean," Adam interrupted. Bobby, Can, Sam, Dean and I all shared a look. "I know who you are."
     "How?" I asked, confused. Adam only glanced at me, them returned his gaze to Sam and Dean.
     "They warned me about you." he told them.
     "Who did?" Dean questioned.
     "The angels," Adam answered, "Now where the hell is Zachariah?" he raised his voice, making me want to back away. I never liked when people yelled; my parents had always shouted abuse, both at each other and at me, when I was a child.
     Adam must have noticed I was uncomfortable because he seemed to force himself to calm down.

     Once he had showered and changed into a set of Dean's clothes, we all gathered in the same room as before. I was sitting at the foot end of the bed, while Adam was about two feet away, also on the bed, and Bobby had rolled himself beside the bed frame. Sam was leaning on the edge of Bobby's desk, while Dean sat backwards in a chair, and Cas was leaning against the wall farthest from Adam and I.
     "So why don't you just tell us everything? Start from the beginning," Dean told his youngest brother. Adam looked around at us. He seemed bored out of him mind.
     "Well, I was dead and in Heaven. Except it uh," he smiled a little, "it kinda looked like my prom and I was making out with this girl, her name was Kristin McGee."
     "Yeah, that sounds like heaven. Did you get to third base?" Dean asked, lifting his eyebrows suggestively. Sam cleared his throat as I sent Dean a 'really?' look.
     "Just keep going," Sam said, returning his attention to Adam.
     "Well, these…these angels," he lifted his hand, motioning to nothing in particular, "They popped out of nowhere, and they tell me that I'm chosen."
     "For what?" I questioned, staring at him curiously. He turned and looked straight back at me.
     "To save the world."
     "How are you gonna do that?" Dean inquired, not understanding.
     "Oh, me and some archangel are going to kill the devil," Adam told us. He seemed to be proud. No, not proud; arrogant. He glanced at me as if to see if I was impressed. Impressed was the last thing I was.
     "What archangel? I questioned, though I had a pretty good idea of which one it was.
     "Michael. I'm his uh, sword or vessel or something, I don't know," Adam explained.
     Dean laughed without humor, "That's insane."
     "Not necessarily," I corrected him.
     "How do you mean?" Dean looked at me.
     "Maybe they're moving on from you, Dean," Castiel told him, making Dean turn around in his seat.
     "Well that doesn't make sense," he told the angel.
     It did make sense. Dean just needed to stop thinking about his own self destruction to see it. Michael and Lucifer needed two brothers, one of which had to be Sam. Both Adam and Dean were Sam's brothers, so either would work.
     "He is John Winchester's bloodline, Sam's brother. It's not perfect, but it's possible," Castiel explained. I saw Adam rub his eyes in annoyance.
     "You've gotta be kidding me," Dean sighed.
     "Why would they do this?" Sam spoke up, looking at Cas for answers.
     "Maybe they're desperate. Maybe they wrongly assumed Dean would be brave enough to withstand them," Cas stared down at Dean, his eyes narrowed. Dean turned around, fed up with Cas and glared at him.
     "Alright, you know what? Blow me, Cas," he told the angel, who looked confused at Dean's words.
     "Look, no way. After everything that's happened? All that crap about destiny? Suddenly the angels have a 'Plan B'? Does that smell right to anybody?" Sam asked us all, looking at each of us.
     "You know this has been a really moving family reunion, but uh, I got a thing, so," Adam tried to get up, but I grabbed his arm, making him stop and look at me.
     "Sit down. Just listen, okay? Please," Sam told him. I sent Adam a pleading look and he sat down beside me again. I let go of his arm, noticing that he sat a lot closer to me this time; he was only about a half a foot away.
     We spoke to him a little longer, then went our own ways; Bobby and I were doing research, while Sam and Dean were both down in the safe room so Dean would try to sacrifice himself again.

     I set a plate down in front of Adam. It had a badly made ham and cheese sandwich on it, but there wasn't much to work with in Bobby's kitchen.
     "Sorry it's not the best," I apologized, "Bobby's out of almost everything."
     "Better than nothing," Adam shrugged, "You never told me your name."
     I smiled at him, "Adrianna," I told him, beginning to walk out of the room so he could eat in peace. I really didn't want to leave; there was just something about him. He was even better looking when he wasn't covered in dirt and mud. I felt disappointed that I wasn't going to be close to him, but I didn't want to seem weird or clingy.
     "Adam Milligan," he introduced himself, "Thanks, Adrianna," Adam said, watching me as I walked away.
     "No problem, Adam. If you need anything, I'll be in the other room. Don't hesitate to call," I said, looking back one more time.

     I was helping Bobby get a book down from a shelf that he couldn't reach. My back was to the kitchen where Adam sat. Handing the book to Bobby, he continued to search for something as I went to check on Adam. I saw him walking towards the door, trying to be quiet.
     He reached for the handle just as I made my presence known.
     "Going somewhere?" I asked, seeing him bringing his hand up to comb back his hair.
     He spun around and slapped his pockets, then put his hands in them, trying to act casual.
     "Out for a...beer," he told me. I clapped.
     "Great, we have beer. It's the one thing Bobby never runs out of. Have a seat," I smiled at him, letting him know that he wasn't in any kind of trouble for trying to sneak away. He smiled back at me, sitting down at the table again.
     "You know, Sam pitched this whole dewy-eyed bromance thing, but the truth is, I'm on lock-down, aren't I?" he looked up at me from where he sat. He looked like a lost little kid. I sighed, grabbing two beers from the fridge. I pulled out the other chair and sat down across the table from him.
     "Yeah, pretty much," I answered truthfully. If I lie to him, he won't trust me. "I know it doesn't seem like it, but John was trying to protect you. All this...stuff," I motioned around, "it gets pretty ugly."
     "Did you know him?" Adam questioned, popping the cap off the bottle and taking a sip.
     "No, but I know what it's like to have a shitty father," I replied.
     "Really? What was your like?" he asked, leaning towards the table to show that he was paying attention.
     "A drunk. He couldn't go an hour without a drink. Wasn't afraid to voice his opinion of my mother and I. But I can't say she was too shy, either. Guess I was lucky, though; neither of them ever laid a hand on me," I explained, taking a sip from my bottle of beer, "When I would get up for school, he'd be either in bed, sleeping off his drinks, or still at some whore's house, and when I'd get home, he'd already be at the bar. And I can't remember him ever staying at home for longer than an hour or two when he was awake on the weekends. So, it was almost as if he wasn't there."
     Adam watched me, as if he was waiting for me to start crying, but I wasn't going to. I had long since gotten over it.
     "I guess I had it pretty good then, huh?" Adam finally spoke, "Dad only ever came on my birthday, but when he did, he was a good guy. He acted like a dad's suppose to act." I nodded at him.
     "You have to understand that he was never like that with Sam and Dean. He was never home and when he was, he was doing research or sleeping. There was no Christmas dinners or happy birthdays," I told him. I think that was why he wasn't too fond of the boys; he was jealous. He thought that they were a family, but really, Sam and Dean only had each other growing up. They barely got out to see Bobby, and when they did, it was usually to learn how to work a gun or draw some kind of symbol. "Their mom died when Sam was six months old. She was burned on the ceiling of his nursery. Dean was the one who raised Sam and he did it alone."
     "So what do I do?"
     "You trust them. If there is one thing I've learned since I met them, it's that family means everything to them. They want to help you because they care about you. They will do a hell of a lot more to help you then they did to help me, and I couldn't have asked for anything better," I looked him straight in the eyes as I told, "You have to give them a chance."
     Adam nodded, "I'll try. Thanks, Adrianna, I really appreciate it," he smiled.
     "Don't mention it. Now, why don't you get some sleep. You've had a rough day, coming back to life and all," I grinned. He chuckled slightly.
     "Yeah I guess so," he agreed, standing up. I stood too, setting my beer down. Adam looked over my shoulder at Bobby, then leaned in and kissed my cheek. "Goodnight, Adrianna," he whispered in my ear, making me smile.
     I looked and saw that Bobby wasn't watching. Gathering my courage, I stood on my tip toes and kissed his lips. We stood there for a moment, not moving away. His lips were rough, but he was gentle.
     When we separated, I smiled softly, "Goodnight Adam."
     "You know, I think I've discovered what my new heaven will have that it didn't before," he told me.
     "And what's that?" I inquired. He pushed a piece of hair off of my face and brought his lips close to mine again.
     "You."