I Never Meant to Leave ~ Dean Winchester

It's crazy how much one person can change your life, for better or for worse. It's been a long time, and I still haven't decided if the change Dean Winchester had on my life was negative or positive. It was most definitely positive when he was here, but then he left, never to be seen again.

It was a normal day at Sonny's Home for Boys. Well, as normal as it could be when one of the workers had been run through by a tractor the night before.
I had worked at the home for a number of years. Mom was a friend of Sonny's when I was a kid, so I was used to being around the farm. It only seemed natural that I would work there when I got older.
I was cleaning the windows upstairs when I saw an old muscle car pull up in front of the house. It looked like an Impala, but I couldn't tell for sure. Out of vehicle stepped two men who were probably around my age. One of them was pretty tall. He had fairly long brown hair, though it wasn't nearly as long as Sonny's. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a plaid flannel, along with a green jacket, which was similar to the jacket that the other man had on. He, too, was wearing a flannel button up and a pair of jeans, but his hair was short, and he was clearly bow-legged, whereas the tall man was not.
The two of them spoke for several moments, then made their way to the door. I assumed that Ruth would let them in, but I still made my way downstairs to see who they were. I had just reached the bottom of the stairs when I heard Sonny speak in the living room.
"D-Dog!" he exclaimed happily. The nickname made me freeze. Sonny had only ever called one person 'D-Dog', and that had been Dean Winchester.
"Sonny," a deep, gruff voice said. I walked over to the doorway and saw that Sonny was hugging the shorter of the men that I had seen outside. The tall man was standing off to the side, watching the two.
They exchanged short pleasantries, then released each other. Sonny then turned to the tall man and held out his hand for him to shake. The man did so firmly.
"And this must be Sam," Sonny said, grinning kindly.
"It's good to meet you," Sam told the aging man, returning the smile.
"Right back at you," Sonny replied. I decided that it was a good time to make my presence known.
"Well now, it's been quite some time since I heard the name D-Dog," I spoke up. Sam and Dean turned to face me in an instant. "Never thought Dean Winchester would be back in town. It's got to have been nearly twenty years," I said, walking over to them. Sam looked at his brother confusedly, and Dean didn't seem to recognize me. I held out my hand to the younger Winchester, smiling at him. "My name's Katie Miller. I was a friend of Dean's when he lived here," I introduced myself.
Many emotions flashed over Dean's face. First, it was recognition, then happiness, and finally, regret.
"You sure have grown up, Kat," Dean remarked, plastering a grin on his face to cover the last emotion. I returned it, welcoming him into a hug.
"What about you? You're no longer the cute little sixteen year old I remember," I teased, patting his back. Being in his arms sent memories to the surface that I had tried so hard to bury.

It was the first day that Dean was at the home. Mom and I had made cookies for all the boys because Sonny had told us that they had all been well behaved lately. But before Mom was able to bring them to the home, she was called into work. She was a nurse, so she couldn't exactly say that she was busy when it could be a matter of life or death for a patient.
That was how I found myself on Sonny's porch with a container full of warm chocolate chip cookies. Ms. Ruth, the housekeeper, let me in. It was supper time for the boys, I realized when I saw the clock. I had been there enough times to know the schedule.
Ms. Ruth led me to the kitchen, where about a dozen young boys were gathered. Sonny, a tall ex-convict with shaggy hair and a cool mustache to match, was sitting with them, but rose to his feet when he saw me.
"What brings you here all by your lonesome?" he asked me, grinning kindly, causing a smile to break out on my face. He was like a father to me. My own dad had passed away a few months before I was born.
"Mom and I made cookies for the boys, but she got called in," I responded, handing him the container.
"Have I ever told you that you and your mama make the best cookies in town?" Sonny asked, placing them on the table. A few of the boys seemed to look between each other, then the container, but none of them attempted to take a cookie. They had tried in the past and had learned that it was not a good idea.
Scanning the table, I saw a new face. He was a handsome boy, no older than sixteen I would say. I was only fifteen myself. He had short brown hair and bright green eyes that were staring me down.
"Have a new addition, do you Sonny?" I inquired, moving my gaze from the boy to owner of the house.
"Yes, ma'am. Dean Winchester. Just came in today," Sonny replied, sitting down. I walked over to where Dean was sitting and offered my hand to him.
"I'm Katie Miller," I introduced myself, smiling at the new boy. He just stared at my hand and I for a moment, then a warm smile grew on his face and he reached out to enclose my hand in his.
"Nice to meet you, Katie."