Chapter 65 : Dance

Jane tried five different tuxedos. She didn't want to look ridiculous; it was the first time she had had the occasion to go on a prom like that, and she knew Max would look great, so she had to look great too. Once ready, she got out of her bedroom and met Will in the corridor.

- "What the fuck?" exclaimed the young boy.

- "What?" frowned Jane.

- "You look better than me in a tuxedo! That's unfair!"

- "Don't be an idiot, you look great too."

- "Thanks," smiled Will. "Are you stressing?"

- "Yeah, totally! And you?"

- "Kinda, I don't have a date, but I hope I'll find one for, at least, one dance."

- "I'm sure you will, boys will fall at your feet," stated Jane before going to the bathroom.

Will blushed of embarrassment when Jane said that; he didn't tell anyone that he was gay. How did she do to know? Maybe all his friends already knew too. Jane brushed her hair back and joined the others in the living-room. Joyce was so proud of them that she kissed both their cheeks. The two teens lightly grumbled, which amused the two adults. They went in Hopper's car, and let the man drive them in front of the room of the prom. The whole group of friends was there, Medhi, Melissa, and Mallory included, but Jane only had eyes for her girlfriend in her beautiful dress.

- "You look beautiful," said Jane.

- "Oh, stop that, I'm gonna melt," answered Max, trying to hide her blush behind her hands.

Max and Jane were cut in their moment, by Medhi, Mallory, and Melissa jumping on Jane's back. As everyone was here, the group of friends decided to enter. They had to pass by the list, to be sure there were not bad people coming in. The man looked at all of them, allowed Will and his friends with no problems, and accepted the others with a bitter expression except...

- "Not you."

- "What!? Why!?" frowned Jane.

- "My wife was unable to sleep because of you," stated angrily the man.

Jane wanted to tell him that she didn't do anything to his wife, but she wasn't sure of it.

- "She was at the bank you robbed."

Jane felt hit by an arrow. She thought that she drew a line under her past, but apparently not. She didn't answer, knowing that nothing could justify what she did.

- "Come on, she is not the same!" intervened Max.

- "She robbed a bank!"

- "And she robbed my house too!" told Mike. "She changed, just give her a chance!"

- "No! I won't let her enter!"

- "It's ok," said Jane. "It was a bad idea anyway. I'll wait outside."

- "No, you come with us! This asshole can go fuck himself!" told her girlfriend.

- "I'm sorry, what did you say!?" said the man.

- "Just go have fun with your friends! Don't ruin your night for me!" replied Jane with an upset tone.

- "I won't go without you!"

- "Yes, you will! Just fucking go and leave me alone! I'm not in the fucking mood for this fucking stupid prom! Just go!"

Max angrily frowned at the brunette while Jane was breathing heavily with her nose. The brunette didn't wait for them to do or say something and left the building. Max wanted to follow her, but Dustin grabbed her arm to take her with them inside. It was useless anyway, Jane was too upset to listen to someone, but Max hoped she wouldn't do something she could regret; she was feeling guilty for too many things already.

Max tried to have fun during this last party with her friends but knowing that Jane wasn't allowed to be here was making her feel guilty for this. She wished she was there, she wanted to dance with her. After some dance with her friends, she took some food and something to drink before sitting at a table and felt downhearted. It was like if even when she could be happy and think about something else than life, she wasn't allowed to do it, like if someone was watching her and doing everything to ruin her good moments in life.

Outside, Jane was completely mad. She tried to find a way to go inside, but all the doors were watched by a security guard. She was now angrily pacing, unable to stop thinking about the rob of the bank. She had never been conscious of the consequences of her acts before this day; it was hard to think that she scared someone so much that they couldn't sleep anymore. She used to like that; it was awful. And the way she talked to Max; she was sure she would never forgive her for this.

The night was warm, so she decided to take a walk to think. She had nowhere to go, all her friends were inside, and she was, once again, fucking alone. Maybe nothing changed, she was just pretending to be different, but was she? She was sure she was still the same, everything was just fake. She arrived in front of a tobacco store, bought a pack of cigarettes, a lighter, and a pack of beers, before walking to a small wall and sitting on it. It was who she was, why trying to deny it?

Max wasn't having fun. Her friends tried to cheer her up, but she was too angry and too worried to think about something else, so she told them she would see how Jane was before coming back, but when she arrived outside, Jane wasn't there anymore. The redhead rolled her eyes, not really surprised, but she was feeling a knot in her stomach. She tried to think like Jane, but it was impossible, so she went to the lights of the town. She walked a moment before finally finding her, laying down on a wall, a cigarette in her mouth and a bottle of beer in her hand. Max felt her heart break in pieces, Jane hadn't drunk alcohol for weeks now. She slowly approached her before leaning above her.

- "Did you drink it?" asked the redhead.

Jane shook her head to say no.

- "I wanted to."

- "Why didn't you?"

- "I don't know."

- "Come on. Let's go dance."

- "But-"

- "Just come with me, ok? I won't let you here," said softly Max.

- "Ok."

Jane sat up straight while Max took the bottle in Jane's hand and placed it on the wall with the pack. The brunette stood and watched her girlfriend taking care of everything. Jane didn't know why she didn't drink this bottle, but she was glad she didn't. The redhead intertwined her fingers with Jane's and began to walk again in direction of the prom before stopping in front of the building.

- "You don't go back inside?" frowned Jane.

- "Why would I? You won't be allowed inside anyway."

- "Don't ruin your prom because of me."

- "I'm not. We are alone, we can hear the music. See? It's a slow dance," smirked the redhead.

Jane was first confused, but she then realized that Max was inviting her to dance with her. She couldn't hold her smile and even felt a bit embarrassed, it was the first time that someone had asked her to dance with. Max took Jane's hands and placed them on her waist before wrapping hers around her neck. The two girls began to slowly move with the music, looking into each other's eyes, a wide smile on their faces, like if they were the only persons on the world. Maybe it wasn't exactly the prom that Max got in her mind, but, at least, she was living it with the person she was falling in love with every day. Nobody could know what their future was made of, but, for now, it was just a dance.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hi, so, this is the end! Sorry, it was a bit abrupt, I shortened a bit the story because I was beginning to feel tired and I needed to end this story. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think about it ;)

Thank you for reading :D

See you in another book ;)