Chapter 32 : Whore

Max was still not believing what happened the day before. She was working at the coffee shop, cleaning the tables, but her mind was still seeing Jane jumping on Clarissa like a wild animal on its prey. It was so brutal a reaction that Max was wondering if she hadn't dreamt it. She knew it wasn't; Clarissa lost one tooth, and her nose was broken. The blonde girl even preferred going back in her center than spending the day with her cousin. Anyway, when she looked outside, she realized she had another problem arriving.

- "Hey, Whore, what's your price today?"

- "Get out of here, Alban! I don't have time for you!"

- "Too bad, because I've lots of time for you!" smirked the blonde teen.

- "You don't want to annoy someone else!? Like...your friends, your family...a policeman!"

- "Nah, it would be less funny! I heard for your cousin, she is in a center for crazy, right?"

- "No, she is in a rehabilitation center, to help her. Why do you even care!?" replied Max.

- "I don't, but I heard she got her ass kicked really hard yesterday!" chuckled Alban.

- "So what!? You're here to mock my cousin!? You're running out of insults, so you attack my cousin!? You've nothing better to do!?"

- "In fact, no, not really, I thought I could see my favorite prostitute of the surroundings! Apparently working the streets doesn't pay enough, you have to be a fucking slave for a stupid firm too!"

While the blonde teen was bitching about her, Max was still cleaning the tables, trying to ignore him. She felt relieved when she saw Gary entering with a frown, not understanding why Alban was there. The redhead shrugged as an answer.

- "Can you leave, please?" frowned Gary.

- "Who do you think you are to talk to me like that!? I'm a fucking Jones! My father owns the Jones's industry, he is the most important person of this town!"

- "Wrong, I heard that Leonard Doyle was number one now."

- "Who?"

- "The guy who is buying the entire town. He bought the diner."

- "Oh no!" grumbled Max. "He is gonna ruin all the nice places! We're screwed!"

- "Calm down, it will still be a diner!"

- "Yeah, full of Red Eagles! I hope he won't buy this coffee shop, because if he does, I'll have shitty Jane on my back, every day! She will come here to threaten me, to bully me! Why are you still here!?"

Alban startled when he realized she was talking to him. Not really knowing why he was here either, he decided to leave the coffee shop without saying a word.

- "Nice one," smiled Gary.

- "This guy gets on my nerves; I can't believe he came here just to insult me!"

- "Yeah, he is stupid."

- "You still come tonight?"

- "Of course, I do! And I'll even kick your ass at Turbo 12!"

- "Not even in your dreams!" chuckled Max. "You wanna be my first customer?"

- "Oh, yeah, cool, why not! I'm gonna take a Supra Latte, please."

- "I give you that in a minute."

Max gave a quick kiss on her boyfriend's lips before going behind her counter to prepare the Supra Latte. Gary sat at the counter and looked at his pretty girlfriend with a stupid smile on his face. Other customers entered the coffee shop, meaning Max had lots of work to do, but she was glad Gary stayed with her, he was like a breath of air. When he was here, she was feeling good and safe; she liked being with him. Later in the morning, the two lovers were joined by one of their friends: Beverly. Both wide opened their eyes when they saw her with a plaster cast around her left arm.

- "Shit, Bev! What happened to you!?" asked Gary, jumping of his chair to help her to sit at hers.

- "I tried to be nice with the wrong person."

- "Who?"

- "Jane."

- "What!?" exclaimed Max, placing a cup of hot chocolate in front of her.

- "I've nothing to pay."

- "I'll pay," answered the boy. "Why were you trying to be nice with this girl!? She killed your father!"

- "No! She didn't!" got irritated Bev. "Don't ask me why I thought Jane could be a nice person, but I still think there is a good part inside her, but yesterday wasn't the good moment."

- "Hell no! She punched my cousin!"

- "What? Why?"

- "I don't know! Probably because of something that happened in jail, if I understood well, they were cellmates."

- "We'll never know," pouted Gary.

- "No...Why Jane?" asked Max.

- "I don't know, I feel something with her, I can't explain..."

- "Like when you have a crush on someone?"

- "No, I don't think it's that, it's more...complicated."

- "Be careful with her, she has no limits, no respect, and no morals; I don't want you to be more hurt, she could kill you next time!"

- "I don't think she is a murderer."

- "I'm not that sure."

Bev didn't know what she was feeling toward Jane, but she knew it wasn't normal; this girl participated to the rob where her father got killed. It was weird, since this day, Bev completely lost her mind. Maybe she was trying to understand what was on Jane's mind, to understand her motivation to act the way she did.

- "Anyway, I didn't come here for this at the beginning," told Bev. "Did you receive the invitation for a cocktail reception at the Westminster house?"

- "It's the kind of reception where rich people strut with glasses of Champagne in their right hands and a cigar in their left ones, to show everyone that they are above the lower class, the garbage of the town? No, I don't think I'm the kind to receive an invitation like that," answered Max.

- "Yeah, I thought the same, but my uncle and my aunt are apparently important enough to be invited."

- "Really? You'll strut with the rich people? Don't be too mean with your poor proletariat friends," joked Gary.

- "No, don't worry, I love them too much! I don't know if I'll go, but Will told me he was going too, his mother is apparently important too, so maybe I'll go to give him some company."

- "Yes, please, go, we want gossips of rich people!" told Max.

- "Well, I guess I have a mission now!"

The three friends lightly chuckled. Bev was curious to see how this reception would be, she was a bit excited to see what was the "rich people" world, she never thought one day that she would be allowed to enter it. It would be fun.