Chapter 52 : Peaceful conversations

Jane woke up in a startle. She almost fell from the couch when she managed to find her balance. She looked around, breathing heavily and sweating more than she did all the night, and remembered how she finished here. She turned her head and saw Max on her armchair, sleeping with her Super-bunny in her arms and a blanket on her body. She got out of the couch, went to the bedroom, searched for clothes, and took a shower. When she finished, Max was awake, the shutters were opened, and the breakfast was being prepared.

- "You're a shameless person, aren't you?" told Max, sitting on her couch.

- "Is it really surprising?"

- "I think you can't surprise me anymore."

- "Is it a challenge?"

- "No. Sit, we need to talk."

Jane lightly rolled her eyes before sitting next to her.

- "You slept there?"

- "Yeah, you screamed in the middle of the night, I just wanted to be sure you wouldn't be alone if you had a nightmare."

- "Um, ok, that's nice."

- "Yeah, right? I'm so fucking nice with you whereas you don't give a fuck!"

- "You're still mad for the kiss!?" frowned Jane.

- "There are so many things Jane, you have no idea! But that's not that, I wanna know why you thought it was a good idea to come here after what you told me last week! And why were you bleeding and under shock!?"

- "I...First, I didn't come here to try to make things up with you, or to break your small heart-"

- "You didn't break my heart, idiot!"

- "Anyway, I needed a place to stay and yours was the closest one."

- "Why did you need a fucking place to stay!?" asked Max.

- "Because...because I needed to hide..."

- "To hide!? From what!?"

- "You didn't hear the mess it was outside yesterday!?"

- "Yeah, I heard! It was scary as fuck! So, you know what it was!? Were you involved!?"

- "I was there if it's what you mean!"

- "How many!?"

- "How many what!?"

- "How many people did you kill!?"

- "What!?"

- "How many!?"

- "None! I didn't kill anybody!" got angry Jane.

Max leaned on her couch and crossed her arms. She strangely believed her, she seemed sincere for the first time.

- "What happened then?" asked calmly Max.

- "Leonard, my "father", decided to...make a war against another gang, and shit got wrong, so I ran away."

- "You ran away? Why?"

- "I had nothing to do here."

- "Why?"

- "I...It wasn't my war! I don't give a fuck about them! They can do what the hell they want, I don't care!"

- "Why? Why don't you care? You're a Red Eagle, it's not...a duty to fight against your enemies?"

- "...Maybe...I don't know..." said Jane in a low voice.

- "You know what you are doing now? You are thinking by yourself."

Jane leaned back on the couch before rubbing her face with her hands. She hated her life so much; there was no good ending for her.