Chapter 63 : Girlfriends

Weeks later, Joyce gave Jane more freedom, thinking she was ready and trustable. Beverly invited her to see a movie at the movie theater. The two girls were walking outside, Jane holding a pop-corn bucket, and were talking about the movie.

- "So? Did you like it?" asked Bev.

- "Yeah, it was cool, a bit cliché at the end. The girl finishing with the hero, ew," answered the brunette.

- "I agree, but except that, it was so cool! I mean, the scene in the plane!"

- "Oh yeah, and then with the car!"

- "Oh my god, yeah!"

The two girls chuckled of excitement. Once calmed, Bev stopped in front of her and looked at the other girl with a small smile on her lips.

- "What?" frowned Jane with an amused smile.

- "I'm sure you already know, but the murderer of my father was arrested, him and his accomplices."

- "Oh really? That's a good thing, right?"

- "Yeah, I'll be able to draw a line under this. Thank you."

- "I don't know what you are talking about."

Jane waited a few seconds before smirking to her. Beverly playfully shook her head before walking again next to Jane, holding her by her arm.

- "I prefer this than a check," told the redhead.

- "Bank it. You could need it."

- "What about you? It's your money!"

- "I don't even know where it comes from! And, don't worry, I've lots of money enough to give some to my friends."

- "Mmmh, I don't know, I'll see."

- "Medhi, Mallory, Melissa, and Loren didn't hesitate!" stated Jane.

- "Oh yeah? How are they?" smiled Bev.

- "Better now. Loren left the town; she is renting an apartment and can finally study history. Melissa placed her grandparents in a center, like that she can take care of herself. Medhi moved, now he is alone in his apartment, not with strangers almost every week. And Mallory is finally freed of her father and she stopped working at "The Dirty Men"."

- "That's great. They are good people, even if I don't know Loren."

- "I'm sure you would have loved her."

- "I'm sure too. You still own the bar?"

- "Nah, I sold it. But I bought a new place like...two days ago."

- "Really? What is it?"

- "The diner. To be sure no other gang will buy it too."

- "That's cool, we'll finally be able to eat there in peace!" told the redhead. "You could have bought the coffee shop where Max works!"

- "Yeah...She told me she would kill if I become her boss," chuckled Jane.

- "Ha, I recognize her in this."

The two girls kept walking and talking a moment. Beverly asked her lots of questions about her friends, curious to know how they grew up. Jane told her that they met in school; they got involved in a fight and became friends after that; they always looked after each other after that, like a real family. They knew lots of things about her, not everything, but they were smart enough to be suspicious about her for some things, and she couldn't blame them, she did so many things that nothing was surprising them anymore. Jane was so happy to talk about them that she even told Bev that Medhi's name wasn't spelled correctly, it was normally M-E-H-D-I, but not him, the H and the D were reversed; his parents wanted him to be different, even in his name. They were proud of him, no matter what. As they were talking, none of the girls realized they arrived in front of the coffee shop. They entered and saw Max at the counter, so they decided to say hi.

- "Hey girls," smiled Max.

- "Hey Max, what's up?" answered Bev.

- "Oh, nothing, just tired!"

- "Bank my check and you won't be tired ever again," told Jane.

- "No, Jane, I don't want to be supported."

- "I don't want you to die young because you work too much!"

- "I won't, relax."

- "You don't mind if I ask you something?"

- "Is it private?"

- "Do you want me to leave?" asked Bev.

- "Um, no, I mean, it's kinda private, but you can stay, it will be fast."

- "What is it?" frowned Max.

- "Um, well, we are seeing each other, privately, a lot and, I was wondering if, you and me, it was...serious?" said Jane.

Max frowned more. She didn't like this question, especially coming from Jane, it could hide something. Maybe Jane was having affairs with other girls because she didn't care about her! Damn, she was so stupid sometimes.

- "I mean, if you don't wanna answer—

- "You really ask me if it's serious!?" got upset the redhead.

- "Um...yeah, to be sure—"

- "Why!? You wanna fuck other girls!? One is not enough!? I'm not good enough for you!?"

- "What? No!—"

- "Or maybe it's just a game for you, like a competition, to know how many girls you can fuck in your stupid and miserable life!"

The two girls were cut by Alban appearing at the counter.

- "Damn, you're mad today!" mocked the blonde teen.

- "What do you want!?" snapped Max.

- "I, um, well, I was wondering if you would like to go on a date with me."

- "What!?" exclaimed the three girls.

Jane's blood began to boil. What was this blonde playboy trying to do!?

- "You're kidding!? You spent your time bullying me and now you want to go on a date with me!? What the fuck!?"

- "I just...I always had a crush on you..." admitted the blonde boy.

- "She already has someone, asshole," intervened Jane.

- "Oh yeah!? I'm sure I'm better than this guy! Who is it!?"

- "Me!"

Alban had a nervous laugh, thinking she was mocking him, but when he looked at Max, the girl was looking at Jane with so much stars in her eyes that he understood that she wasn't lying.

- "Get out of here now," ordered the brunette.

The blonde teen looked again at the two redheads before realizing that he wouldn't have any support from them, so he preferred leaving. Jane watched him until he got out of her vision, to be sure he wouldn't come back.

- "I'm gonna be clearer; I was here to know if it was serious because, for me, I think it's serious, but I don't wanna think it's only on my side, you know, it's the first time for me, I don't wanna be disappointed," explained Jane.

- "I actually thought it was obvious that it was serious," told Max.

- "Um...(smiles) cool!"

- "Cool."

Max leaned, put her hands on Jane's cheeks to force her to lean too, and placed a soft kiss on her lips before quickly breaking it. Bev grabbed Jane's arm and shook her of excitement.

- "Does that mean that you're girlfriends!?" asked Bev with a wide smile.

- "I guess, yeah," answered Jane.

Bev and Jane ordered something to drink before continuing their day together. The brunette was relieved it was serious for Max too, after everything they lived, Jane was sure Max would never want to have a serious relationship with her, and she wouldn't have blamed her for this. But she didn't, and now Jane was sure she could begin something new.