Chapter 21 : Coffee shop

Max was so happy, thanks to Beverly's uncle she quickly found a new job, and she could soon find a new apartment, far from her toxic family. Today was her first day, she was at the counter, ready to serve her customers. But the first ones were not people she wanted to see; it was the two girls that helped this bitch to assault Bev in the subway. She tried to not show them her bitterness, but it was hard to hide.

- "Hi, what can I do for you?" asked the redhead with a forced smile.

- "What about keeping your mouth shut next time!?" replied Mallory.

- "You know each other?" frowned Medhi.

- "This bitch talked a bit too much at Jane's trial!"

- "I already lost my first job because of you, and you killed my best friend's father, you got your revenge, it won't change anything for your friend!" told angrily Max.

- "Because of us!? Hey, bitch, we didn't do anything to you or your best friend! Not yet," answered the purple-haired girl.

While the two girls were arguing, Medhi tapped Mallory's shoulder and showed her the redhead in front of them with his chin. The blonde girl didn't immediately understand what he wanted to tell her, but when he showed her wrist, she saw the bruise on it and understood.

- "Ok, ok," intervened Mallory. "I think, I think she is right, Jane won't come back by bullying her."

- "What the hell!? You're on her side!?" said angrily Melissa.

- "Let it go, please, we all miss Jane, and we all knew it would happen."

- "Uh, no, we knew she would finish in jail, not in Blackbirds!"

- "It happened and it's like that now! All we have to do now is to wait and...hope we'll see her again."

- "(turns to Medhi) You agree with her!?"

- "Um...well...yeah."

- "Fine! You apparently decided to be pussies!"

- "Let's just order," told Medhi.

- "Uh, what do you want?" asked Max, a bit surprised by their reactions.

- "Two Milky Chocolates and one Crispy Coffee," answered Mallory.

- "To eat here or to go?"

- "To eat here."

- "Ok, it will cost you $12.75."

- "Damn, that's expensive!" stated Medhi.

- "I don't choose the price."

- "I'll pay," told Mallory.

- "Thanks."

Medhi and Melissa chose a table while Mallory was paying before joining them. Max began to prepare their orders, still disturbed by this. She was sure it was them who robbed the bank and who assaulted her at her work, but they didn't seem guilty by this. Maybe it wasn't them, but maybe they knew who it was. They wouldn't talk anyway, people in a gang wouldn't snitch on their friends. She had nothing to lose anyway. She brought their drinks before telling:

- "So, uh, you're not her accomplices, right?"

- "Not always," answered Mallory.

Melissa tapped her belly before killing her with her eyes.

- "We are angels," said Medhi with an ironical tone.

- "Yeah, right. But maybe you know who her accomplices are, right?"

- "No, we don't wanna know anything about this part of her life, this is her shit, not ours!"

- "Oh, really?"