Chapter 33 : Cocktail reception

Joyce and Hopper were both invited at this cocktail reception and decided to go together with Will. Joyce wasn't a rich person, she didn't want to stand out like a sore thumb, so she opted for a sexy red and glittering dress, with her hair in a bun. Hopper was in a simple black tuxedo with a white shirt and a black bow tie. Will was wearing the same clothes as for the last wedding he went, black shoes, black pants, a white shirt, a blue tuxedo jacket, and a black tie.

- "Look at you, my little prince," smiled the mother.

- "I feel ridiculous," pouted the young boy.

- "You're not, you look perfect."

- "Thanks. You look great too."

- "Yeah, I agree," intervened Hopper.

- "My two men. Let's go, I don't want to arrive late."

Joyce locked her house while Hopper and Will went to the car. Will was quiet the entire ride, listening to his mother and Hopper arguing to know which roads to take. The young boy was hoping that Bev was already arrived, he didn't want to be alone in this place. They finally arrived in a long dirty road with high trees on each side to finish in front of a big white gate. Four tall and strong men were standing there, wearing black clothes, black sunglasses, and earpieces. One of them approached the window on the side of the driver.

- "Do you have your invitations?" asked firmly the man.

- "Sure, (holds them out) here," told Hopper.

The man took a long moment to examine them; it was so long that two other cars had the time to arrive behind them. He bent and gave them back their invitations.

- "Have a good night, ladies and gentlemen," said the man.

- "Thank you," smiled Joyce.

- "My friend will show you where to park."

The white gate slowly opened, allowing Hopper to enter. He drove on a small dirt road, then on tarmac. There was a wide space in front of the big house. There were five floors and certainly more than a hundred rooms in this house. Hopper parked his car between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini, showing him that it was definitively not his world.

- "Some people have something to compensate," joked the man.

Joyce shook her head while Will was pursing his lips to not laugh out loud. Hopper tensed his smile like a child caught in the act. They followed a butler who took them to the second floor, behind two big doors, where the reception was taking place. The floor was golden, and the walls were white. There was an orchestra playing at the back of the room, to give some playground music. On the left wall they had entrances to the wide marble balcony. The room was full of twerps in penguin suits with their wives and, sometimes, children, all holding a glass of Champagne in their hands, while waiters wearing a yellow and black striped jacket.

- "Hi, welcome in Hell," told Melissa.

- "Um, hi," frowned Hopper.

- "You're friend with Jane, right?" said Joyce.

- "Not anymore, not after this! She told me I could come here, not that I would have to serve bobos and co! Anyway, I hope you'll have fun."

- "Is Jane here?"

- "Not yet, but she shouldn't be long. And she'll be dead, believe me!"

Melissa held out her tray where many glasses of Champagne were placed. Hopper and Joyce took one, but when Will tried to take his, Joyce gently tapped his hand, making him understand that he was too young.