Chapter 9 : Hold-up

Jane and her stooges kept a low profile. They were preparing something bigger than some burglaries; their new target was the bank of the town, one of the biggest banks in the area. Everything was on point; they knew the position of each camera, of each guard, knowing their weak points, they couldn't fail. They knew when there were less clients inside and when the "weak" guards were in position.

Jane, Julia, Jessica, Franck, and Ahmed were in their van, wearing the same masks as last time. This time, they took more important weapons, in case some people would decide to stand against them. Julia drove the van at a few streets of the bank, letting run the motor. Jane, Franck, Ahmed, and Jessica left the van and arrived in the bank. Ahmed shot three times in direction of the ceiling to get everyone's attention.

- "Ladies and gentlemen! I don't need to make you a drawing, it's a hold-up! If you stay calm, everything will be alright! Thank you!" yelled the young man with a vampire mask.

While Ahmed was doing his speech, Jane, Jessica, and Franck were threatening the clients to put them on the same side. Franck chose one of the employees and forced him to show them and open them the strongbox.

- "Jackpot," smiled Jessica behind her mask of Trump.

- "Ok, let's be fast, we only have ten minutes," told Jane, wearing her baby face mask.

The three teens began to be busy and to take as many bundles as possible, as fast as possible.

"BANG!"

Jane looked at the two others who were as surprised as her, before going back in the bank. A dead man with his brain exploded was laying on the floor while the other people were holding their screams and cries.

- "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO!?" asked angrily Jane.

- "He called the pigs! We have to go!" replied Ahmed.

- "You're so dead! GUYS! LET'S GO! WE DON'T HAVE TIME!"

Franck took the bags on him. They were about to leave when they heard the sirens getting louder. They didn't think and began to run outside, Franck in direction of the van and the three others in diverse directions. Jane took a parallel street with no one inside. She heard cops yelling and saw five of them running behind her.

- "Shit! Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!"

One of them failed, but which one!? She wasn't surprised, they were just a bunch of incompetents, she didn't know why she had to work with that, it was a shame! She arrived at a cul-de-sac, but Jane didn't slow down, which perturbed the cops running behind her.

- "STOP!" yelled one of them.

But Jane didn't stop. She was even running faster. She put her right foot on a dumpster, jumped on the wall on her left, and projected herself above the high wall. She landed on her feet and made a forward roll before continuing her race. Before turning in another street, she looked back and saw some cops struggling to pass the wall. She laughed before disappearing in the street; she had enough lead to find a hideout. She arrived at a corner and regretted to not have stopped before. She wanted to turn on the left, but two police cars and ten policemen with their guns in her direction were blocking the road.

- "STOP! RIGHT NOW! YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!" yelled the chief Hopper.

Jane didn't hesitate. She slowly stepped back before taking the street on her right and running. Some of the cops ran after her while the cars were taking another road, trying to block her again. She began to climb a pole but...

"BANG!"

Jane felt a brutal pain in her right shoulder before losing her grip and falling on the ground on her back. The second after, she was surrounded by cops pointed their guns at her.

- "WHY DID YOU SHOOT!?" asked angrily Hopper.

- "I, I, I thought..."

- "You thought wrong! You can't shoot someone who doesn't threaten you! Call an ambulance! NOW!"

The chief knelt next to the victim, took off the mask, and wasn't surprised to see Jane under it.

- "Hi Jane, you fucked up, didn't you?" told Hopper, pressing Jane's wound.

- "Fuck off! You fucking shot me, you fucking bastard!" replied the young girl.

- "Don't run away next time! Where is my car?"

- "In your ass!"

Hopper helped Jane to sit before taking off her jacket to press correctly on the two sides of the wound and to handcuff her.

- "The bullet passed through your shoulder, you're lucky."

- "Oh yeah, I feel so fucking lucky right now!"

Once fixed, Jane was forced to give her clothes and to wear a grey police tracksuit, before being sent in the police station. She stayed one day in a cell before being moved in an interrogation room where she was handcuffed to the table. Hopper entered the room with a file in his hand before sitting in front of her.

- "How are you?" asked calmly the man.

- "Fuck you, you don't give a damn fuck," answered Jane, calmly too.

- "That's not true, I'm really worried for you and your future."

Jane rolled her eyes. She knew he was saying things like that just to touch her to gain her trust, but she was smarter than that, she wouldn't fall into his trap.

- "I'm gonna be honest, your case is not good, your chances to go in jail are very very high, even your father can't protect you from this this time. But, if you cooperate, the judge can reduce your sentence, what do you think?"

Jane didn't react. Giving the names of her accomplices was worse than going in jail. She maintained Hopper's look with her serious face and cold stare.

- "You reject the offer, if I understand well, that's right?"

Jane didn't move.

- "You don't even wanna tell us who was behind the vampire mask!? You know, the one who killed an innocent man!? We have video tapes of the hold-up, we can see you on it, and your friends. I know the murder wasn't planned, you're not a murderer, you don't deserve to pay for all of them."

Jane didn't react, but something displeased her in his speech. Jessica was supposed to turned off the video cameras before they entered, why didn't she!? It was weird, Jane began to worry and to feel angry, but she hid it.

Hopper understood that he wouldn't get any answers from Jane and he had nothing to pressure her. He stood and, before leaving, asked:

- "I'm wondering, why your friend didn't pick you up to save your ass? I mean, the three others had an accomplice in a car waiting for them, giving them leads on us, but why not you?"

The door closed, now Jane was alone with her thoughts. They fucked her over. She didn't know why they did that, but they wouldn't do well like that, they wouldn't get rid of her so easily. After jail, she would come back to kick their ass like they deserved.