Chapter 22 : Oven

The barrel of the gun released the pressure on the brunette's forehead. Jane was sure she was going to die, but they apparently decided otherwise. They had barely the time to breathe again that another BANG sounded just next to her. The young girl got dazed by the loud noise, but she managed to stay on her knees, not wanting to give them a reason to shoot her. She tried to focus on her breathing, too heavy and loud, but her heart was racing so much that it was hard to control. She heard more bangs, and then nothing, just steps. Every time the steps were stopping, she could hear a girl whining. Jane would know why soon. Someone took off the bag she had on her head, showing her the slaughter. She showed no emotions, but inside, she was terrified by what she was seeing. The girl next to her had the skull exploded with pieces of her brain a bit everywhere and her left eye out of his orbit. Nineteen girls suffered the same fate as her, and none of them were Mona. The guards took advantage of their states of shock to take off the handcuffs and leave the room.

- "CLEAN!" ordered an electronic voice.

Clean!? It was a joke!? Jane was beginning to wonder if her father wasn't at the head of this jail, it was totally the kind of thing he would ask her to do. The other girls didn't seem surprised and stood like if it was a habit. As Jane wasn't moving, Clarissa grabbed her arm and forced her to stand. The brunette didn't say a word, but she was glad Clarissa was still alive. The blonde girl gave her a towel before putting herself on her knees and wiping the bloody floor with hers. Jane was unable to move, too mesmerize by this unrealistic scene, seven girls were on their knees, cleaning the blood of their friends.

- "Pile them," told Clarissa with her voice down like if she didn't want the guards to hear her.

- "Wh-what?" frowned Jane.

- "The bodies, pile them in the corner over there."

The brunette nodded. There were so many dead bodies that she didn't know where to begin. She grabbed them one by one, placed them in the corner, and joined the other girls to help them with the blood. Jane didn't know if they could clean this room, she had the impression that more they were cleaning, bloodier the room was. They stayed hours in this room, feeling cramps in their arms and fingers, and pain in their backs, covered of the others' blood. A few hours later, the girls were finally allowed to stop. The bodies disappeared in a trapdoor on the floor. A door opened on their left and invited them to go in there. The contrast was surprising; the walls were dirty, the stairs were dark, and it was smelling an odor she knew too well. She arrived in a basement with old ovens built in stones in line in the middle of the room with big collecting trays in front of them. The dead bodies were spread in five trays, four bodies in each one.

- "You don't ask what we are doing here?" murmured Clarissa.

- "No, I already know why we're here," answered Jane.

The door behind them closed. Jane understood that no one was watching them by seeing the other girls' relaxed expression. They separated in two groups to go faster and began to throw the bodies in the burning ovens. The odor of a bad barbecue was perfuming the room and the girls' nostrils. All the bodies were burning, and the girls were in direction to leave.

- "Wait! There is still one body to burn," said Mona.

- "Um, no, they're all inside," answered another girl.

- "Not yet."

Mona grabbed Jane's shirt and threw her in an oven before closing the door. The girl found herself above the flams, on the hot metallic shelf, burning with the bodies already there. She knocked on the door, but nobody opened to her. When she looked in the small pane, all the girls were leaving, even Clarissa.

- "HEEEEEEY! COME BACK HERE! HEEEEEEEEY!" yelled Jane, but in vain.

Jane knew it was useless, and the flams were beginning to burn her ass. She needed to find a way out and quickly! The small height of the oven could allow her to walk only in crouch position. She crawled on the bodies, but she lost her balance many times, forcing her arms or legs to touch the hot shelf, burning her skin. She arrived at the other side of the oven and noted it was fragile. She punched it with her right fists, feeling the wall moving and her hand bleeding, but she hadn't enough strength to break it. She was beginning to lose hope, no one was going to search for her in there, nobody was missing her, and the guards were waiting for this moment since she arrived there. No, she couldn't give them this pleasure, she was a Red Eagle, she was strong, and she had no rights to give up. She sat on the shelf, rolled on her back, and pushed with her legs. She was feeling her shirt melting in her skin, but she kept pushing with all the strength she had in her body; she was pushing so much that she thought her head was going to explode. But she kept pushing, and when the wall began to become weaker, she kicked it again and again. The wall finally broke, and Jane jumped outside the oven. She took support on her arms and crawled farther, far from the oven, not believing she survived this. She was wondering how she would get out of this, but the six guards running to her answered her question. They put again a bag on her head, put chains around her wrists and ankles, and brought her in another room. They took off the bag, and Jane saw that she was in the nursery again, but this time she was facing the bed and tied up. She tried to see what they were doing, but every time she was moving her head, someone was sinking her head in the pillow. She felt someone putting cream on the burns on her arms and legs, which was making her feel good. A piece of her shirt melted in her skin on the bottom of her back, and she wondered what they would do with it to take it off. Like a dressing, apparently. They tore it off, opening a wound on her back. Jane screamed of pain in her pillow. She tensed her muscles like if it could make it bearable and bit the pillow to not cry. After that, her wound was burning so much that she wasn't feeling anything anymore. She began to breath heavily to calm down, but they just tore her skin off like if it was nothing, not caring of her pain. She met lots of monsters in her life, and those ones were still not the worst.