Chapter 43 : Party

As every year, Clara was organizing a party in her big house to celebrate a new year with them. It was the kind of parties where everyone could enter, meaning that there were lots of people who were not from the school. Max didn't really like going to parties, especially to Clara's, there were always problems, fights, drunk people, dealers, and things like that, but Clara was her friend, so she went.

- "Hey Max! I'm happy to see you!" welcomed happily Clara.

- "Yeah, I'm happy to be here!"

- "I know that's not true, but thanks for trying. I think I saw Will and Mike near the pool, there are things to drink and eat in the kitchen, help yourself, my home is your home!"

- "Thanks," smiled the redhead.

The brunette kissed her friend's cheek before joining the teens dancing in her living-room. Max shook her head, amused, before going directly outside to find her friends. The two boys were sitting on a couch for outside, talking with other teens of the High School.

- "Hey guys," smiled the redhead, sitting between them.

- "Hey Max, your nose looks better, that's great!" told Will.

- "Yeah, your mom took care of it very well."

- "She is a magician," joked Mike. "Oh, and here is her worst magic trick."

Mike made a movement with his chin to show farther. Will and Max frowned before looking in this direction. Jane was standing near the pool, an awful black eye and a purple wound at her lips, with a group of other teens who were not the same as usual, certainly Red Eagles. They didn't have the time to be annoyed that Beverly and Dustin joined them. There were lots of people at this party, it didn't mean they would see this Jane during the night. The friends spent a moment talking about this new year, the way they were missing the holidays, how it would be awful to finish their scholarships in this High School, daily routine. Lucas finally showed up. He began to walk in their direction, but the boy changed his way when he noticed Jane a bit farther.

- "What is he doing?" frowned Dustin.

- "He is gonna die!" stated Will.

The boy kept walking in direction of the brunette who was surrounded by teens who were older and stronger than him. His legs were shaking, and his heart was racing, but he needed to do it. He gently tapped the girl's shoulder who turned with a face meaning "what the fuck do you want!?".

- "Can I talk to you, privately?" told Lucas with a shaking voice.

Jane angrily frowned to him and crossed her arms before making a movement with her head to tell him to follow her. They walked a bit farther of the people on the grass and stopped under a tree. Lucas wasn't sure of what he was doing, she could kill him at any moment, and nobody would ever know.

- "So, what do you want!?"

- "Uh, uh...Well, you remembered what you said when you were at the Byers's?"

- "Not really, why!?"

- "Well, um, people learnt about Bev's past, bad people-"

- "Bev!? Who the fuck is Bev!?"

Lucas raised his arm in direction of his friends. Jane turned her head and looked at them while he was describing Bev. Max and the others didn't stop looking at him since they saw where he was, and they all froze when they met Jane's black look. The brunette nodded before turning again to him.

- "So, what do you fucking want!?"

- "I...I wanted to know if you told anyone about Bev's past, because some assholes learnt about it and mocked her, the kind of people with who you-