Chapter 59 : Graves

Jane slept only two hours. She struggled to fall asleep and when she did, she had a nightmare which woke her up. She managed to calm her breathing, but she was soaked of her own sweat. She rubbed her face and decided to get out of the couch to go to the bathroom. She wetted her face, but she began to feel a bit dizzy, so she took support on the sink and closed her eyes while her body was swaying. Her heart was beating so loudly that she thought it would get out of her chest, while her members were becoming numb. She felt her throat burning and threw up in the sink. At the same moment, Joyce arrived in the bathroom. Jane was just able to look at her, but she was still dizzy. Joyce put her hand on the young girl's forehead.

- "You have fever," told the mother.

Joyce wrapped her arms around Jane's waist and sat her next to the toilet. The mother wetted a towel and put it on Jane's forehead before sitting next to her.

- "Your body is craving," stated Joyce.

- "I know, it's not the first time," said weakly Jane.

- "You already tried to stop?"

- "Yeah...I failed, like everything else..."

- "No, you didn't, it's a proof that you want to change, your head is ready to do this change. You are strong, I know you will make it."

Joyce warmly smiled to her, but Jane didn't. She was feeling too weak to react, and she lost hope in herself a while ago, she was sure she would fail again. Joyce went to the kitchen and brought an iced tea to the young girl to give her some energy.

- "Are you feeling better?"

- "In a way, kinda," shrugged Jane.

- "What was this nightmare about?"

- "I...uh...I was holding a machine gun, I was so angry, like if I was about to explode, and I...began to shoot everyone, especially people I don't hate, but I couldn't control it, I didn't wanna kill them, but I still did! And I shot my head, that's when I woke up...Do you, do you think I'm crazy?"

- "(pouts and shakes her head to say no) I just think you need some help to deal with your feelings and your mind, and I think you are ready for it," told Joyce.

- "How could you know?"

- "I just know, you are tired, and you accepted to come here to have some help, I think you are smart enough to know when you need help or not."

Jane nodded. As Jane was feeling a bit better, Joyce helped her to go back on the couch. The young girl managed to fall asleep, but the mother preferred staying with her on the armchair.

Hopper was the first one to wake up. He was surprised to not see his girlfriend next to him, but he understood better when he saw her on the armchair. He gently woke her up before murmuring:

- "Go in your bed, I keep an eye on her, ok?"

- "Ok. Thank you," answered Joyce half asleep.

The mother stood and put her hand on Jane's forehead. Fever decreased, it was a good thing, and Jane seemed to peacefully sleep. Joyce went to her bedroom with no remorse, knowing her man would handle it like a champion.

Hopper prepared some coffee, took a donut, and sat on the armchair before switching on the TV with a low volume. A few minutes later, Jane woke up in a startle, looked around, and stopped when she saw him.

- "Hey, are you ok?" frowned Hopper.

- "Yeah, yeah...I'm fine."

Jane sat up straight to face the TV, rubbed her face, sighed loudly with her mouth, and leaned back on the couch. She focused on her breathing, like Joyce told her to do the day before, and managed to calm her racing heart.