Chapter 38 : Research

Hopper was stuck at his office. Jane's old groups was doing lots of robberies lately, and he had no clues of their identities, and there were good chances that Jane was part of them, but she was nowhere to be found. As usual, when he reached an impasse, he called Joyce to have a new perspective.

- "I should be paid for this," told the woman, reading the file.

- "Yeah, I asked my boss for a check and a status of consultant, but he refused."

- "I was joking, don't worry, at least I'm spending time with you."

Hopper looked up at her with a smile and nodded.

- "I'm sure her friends can tell us where she spends most of her time."

- "Do you know where we could find them?" frowned Hopper.

- "...No, but we have an idea of which part of the town they are living, maybe they are not far."

- "So, you suggest driving in the entire town the entire day with a small chance to find them?"

- "Do you have a better idea?"

- "...I guess not. Alright, let's go!"

The two adults stood and went to Hopper's car. They had ridden for hours, combing the entire town, scrutinizing every street, analyzing every face they were seeing. They bought sandwiches for lunch but didn't stop to eat them. The night was beginning to show when Joyce recognized a blonde girl and a purple-haired girl talking next to a bar-club. Hopper parked, and they both went to them.

- "Let me guess, you are looking for Jane, right?" told Melissa.

- "Exact, do you know where we could find her?" asked Hopper.

- "No, I haven't seen her for a while, and it's better like that."

- "Did you know where she was the night of the...(looks at his note) five August?"

- "Nope."

- "Uh, in fact, yeah, she was there," intervened Mallory. "It was the day when Medhi told her, she came here after."

- "How long did she stay?"

- "With me, just a few minutes, but one of my friends talked to her after, maybe she knows what happened. I can ask her to come here, if you need."

- "Yes, please."

The blonde girl pursed her lips before walking inside the club, letting Melissa with the two adults.

- "Is there a problem with Jane?" asked Joyce.

- "Jane is the problem. I had to calm Medhi the entire day after she left him the way she did! At least she didn't insult him, but she is still a bitch for this! He is broken since this, after everything he did for her, that's how she treats her friends!? No way, I won't let her do that, she can go fuck herself!" got angry Melissa.

Joyce wasn't expecting so much anger coming from her, apparently Jane did something really bad to her friend. Mallory came back with Loren.

- "So, that's the pigs?" asked Loren.

- "Yeah, they have some questions," told Mallory.

- "Did you talk to Jane the night of the five August?" asked Hopper.

- "Oh yeah, we didn't just talk, if you see what I mean," smirked the girl.

Melissa had a surprised expression before turning to Mallory who was hiding behind her hand.

- "It's your idea!?" told Melissa.

- "She is frustrated! I just wanted to help her, and I wasn't expecting Loren to be this fast!"