Chapter 11 : Blackbirds

It was the longest, weirdest, most tiring, and most painful ride that Jane had never lived in her entire life. She was chained at her seat and the other girls in the bus, by her ankles, her waist, her wrists, and her neck, a potato bag on her head, taped up around her neck, and headphone on her ears with loud music playing. They clearly didn't want them to know where they were going. The heat was unbearable, she was suffocating under bag. They were not hydrated, Jane's skin was dry, she licked her sweats running on her face to survive a bit. The chains were in a direct contact with her skin on her wrists and ankles, burning her. It was tied up so tight that she couldn't move at all; she wasn't even sure her blood could still flooding in her body. She stopped breathing with her nose, the smell was awful: a mixture between vomit, shit, piss, and sweat. At the beginning of the ride, she was counting every second, but after the third hour, she gave up. They were not on a normal road anymore, the bus was shaking, moving back and forth all the bodies inside.

The vehicle finally stopped. Jane didn't like it, if the ride was like that, she couldn't imagine how it was in jail. But she wasn't displeased either, she was beginning to feel sick. They left early in the morning, but now she knew why, they needed almost an entire day to reach the prison. Nothing had happened for a few minutes, which passed like hours for Jane, until someone took off her headphone, freeing her ears from the crushing. She heard buzzing a moment before just having the clinging of the chains as noises, and some girls whining before being hit. The brunette was keeping her cool, she was trained for situations like that, she lived worse in her life, she knew it would be hard, but she could do it. She hoped.

- "STAND!" ordered a woman.

Every movement was a torture; they hadn't moved for hours, their articulations were rusted, and their muscles were numb, stretching their legs was like an ordeal for them. Jane's knees cracked, and she almost lost her balance, not really having spatial and temporal landmarks. She gritted her teeth to not throw up, or she would have been immersed in her own vomit. But now she had to use her nose again, meaning she was smelling the concoction of every kind of spewings created by the human body, and she was beginning to feel dizzy.

Fingers firmly gripped her right arm, forcing her to move in the middle of the bus. She heard chains moving and footsteps, and a hand grabbed her shoulder and forced her to walk. Because of the bag she had on her head, she couldn't see, so she missed the step of the bus and fell on the dirt. Her entire body was so tired that she didn't even try to stand up; someone did it for her anyway. She waited a few seconds, without moving, her bare feet burning on the hot sand and stones.

They walked too long a moment on the painful ground before hearing screams, shouts, doors noises, to finally feel a cold floor. When the metallic doors closed, the room became quieter than when they were outside. Someone grabbed her neck, and she felt a blade caressing her cheek before being freed of this potato bag. She couldn't open her eyes immediately, too used to the dark, and the aggressive white light wasn't helping either.

- "We're going to put off your chains one by one! One wrong movement and you will receive an electric discharge!" explained a woman with a threatening tone, holding a taser switched on. "And if it's not enough, we shoot!"

Once the message conveyed, a guard took off the chains of the girl at the most left of the line and pushed her to make her step forward. Someone searched here with the delicacy and the lightness of an elephant.

- "Take off your clothes!" ordered the elephant.

- "Eat shit!" answered the prisoner with a tone she certainly wanted firm.

- "Oh yeah!? You do it yourself or we do it for you, it's your choice!"

- "I'm curious to see that!"