Chapter 10 : Sentence

Mike, Lucas, and Dustin were all together in class, waiting for the English teacher to enter and for Max to arrive. The redhead didn't hear her alarm clock and prepared herself as fast as possible. She entered the classroom in running and sat while trying to breathe.

- "You're late, as usual," stated Mike.

- "You're annoying, as usual," replied Max.

- "Why don't you wake up a bit earlier than you usually do!?"

- "Why do you care!?"

- "I don't know, because we're friends!"

- "What!? We're friends!?" joked Max, faking a shocked tone.

Mike winced to her which made laugh Dustin and Lucas while Max was answering with a kiss threw with her hand. The teacher entered so the teens faced the blackboard, ready to listen to him.

Later in the day, Beverly was with Will in mathematics. She didn't hate mathematics, but it wasn't her favorite subject, it wasn't very entertaining, but it was better than chemistry.

"KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!"

A woman working with the headteacher gave a paper to the teacher. The man frowned to read it before telling:

- "Ms. Marsh, the headteacher wants to see you. Take your stuff and go with Ms. Sanders."

Beverly didn't move immediately. She was wondering if she did something wrong, but she didn't remember. She put her books in her bag and followed the woman until the headteacher's office. Two policemen were inside, looking at her with a weird compassion in their eyes.

- "Um...What's going on?" asked Bev.

- "Are you Beverly Marsh? Daughter of Alvin Marsh?" asked one of the policemen.

- "Um, yes, why?"

- "I'm lieutenant Davis and this is officer Andrews. We are sorry to have to inform the death of your father on this morning at the bank."

Beverly didn't believe it at first, but she thought it was too horrible to be a joke. She began to feel dazed, everything was turning around her, her body was getting weak so she sat on the armchair to not fall. She was overwhelmed, but not enough to cry. Her father had been awful with her, but he was sad, he suffered too, and he wasn't always like that. Well, most of the time. And she suffered too with him. What was she going to do now!?

- "Are you ok?" asked lieutenant Davis.

- "Um...I, I don't know...Do you know who did that?" frowned the redhead.

- "No, we caught one of the robbers, but she wasn't the shooter. For now, she is in hospital, we'll interrogate her tomorrow. She might be one of the thieves who broke into your friend's house."

- "The one with the dragon tattoo?"

- "Yes."

- "It's Jane, right? (the lieutenant nods) I'm not surprised, Max recognized her."

Beverly was taken to the police station to wait her uncle and her aunt to take her with them. Now, as her father was dead, they became her tutors. They were both crying, but Beverly was still not. She was destroyed by all of this, but she wasn't completely realizing it for now.

Jane waited one week in her cell before the trial. Bev came with the others with the same desire to see Jane going in jail for a long moment. Jane didn't say a word the entire trial, she just watched at the group of teens with a cold stare, making them uncomfortable. Max participated in the investigation, she went to the police station to identify her, and the redhead was sure the brunette knew it, explaining her stare.

But, in fact, she wasn't looking at them, she was watching the four teens behind them, the four traitors. They came only to be sure she wasn't going to rat them out. None of them had an ounce of regret on their faces. If they were not scared of her, they would be smiling.

The jury didn't need a minute to give their verdict: Jane was guilty for this hold-up and all the last ones which happened lately, even the ones she didn't participate, because why not, they needed a person responsible, and Jane was the right person for the job. She was condemned to three years of prison in the Blackbirds jail. No one knew what was happening in this jail, but the few who got out of this place were traumatized, depressed, or suicidal, forbidden to tell a thing about what happened to them inside. Apparently Jane was going to discover this new Hell.