Chapter 64 : Exams

Jane arrived in school accompanied by Hopper. It was the first time since a long moment she had been in a school. She followed him, knowing where they had to go apparently, before arriving in front of a room with a man next to the door.

- "Hopper...Hopper..." mumbled the man, looking at his list. "Yeah, I got her, table eleven. Good luck."

Hopper nodded before turning to Jane.

- "Well, you're ready?" asked the man with a worried tone.

- "Um, yeah, I mean, I'm fine, it's just some tests," said Jane.

- "It's exams, Jane! It's important for your future!"

- "I know, I know! Take some air, you look like you're gonna collapse! I'm the one doing the exams!"

- "I know. Good luck."

- "Thanks."

Jane entered the room and looked for her table without looking around. She didn't care to know if she knew someone, she just wanted to finish this.

A few hours later, Jane got out of the room and joined Hopper who was outside with Joyce.

- "Hey, how was it?" asked the man.

- "Awesome."

They were joined by Will with his friends.

- "Hey, how did it go for you?" asked Joyce.

- "I don't know," mumbled Will.

Max took this opportunity to grab Jane's hand to go a bit farther. Hopper was going to follow them, but Joyce prevented him from doing it by grabbing him.

- "They are just here, we can see them from here, give them a break."

- "I don't want her to leave," told Hopper.

- "She won't, believe me," affirmed Joyce.

Max and Jane went a bit farther from the people to spend some time alone. They first made out before talking about their lives.

- "How is it to go to school?" asked Max.

- "It's...weird, at least it's just for a few days."

- "You don't like going to school?"

- "Do you?" smirked Jane.

- "Nah, not really. I just wonder how it would have been if you went to school with us."

- "We can't know. You had news about your colleges?"

- "Yeah, well, I met the recruitment consultants of New-York and Los Angeles, they seemed ok with me, so now I just need to pass my exams."

- "You will. You will go to Los Angeles?"

- "If I can, yeah, I would love to," smiled the redhead. "What about you? What are you gonna do without me?"

- "Dying, certainly," joked Jane with a serious tone.

- "My god, don't say that or I stay here!"

- "No, it's ok, I'll have my community services to do so, I'll be busy."

- "Ok. You'll come to see me, right?"

- "Of course," smiled Jane.

Max kissed her girlfriend's cheek before placing her head on her shoulder, allowing the brunette to wrap her arms around her. The two girls enjoyed the shy sun together, in silence, just wanting to be in their own world for a short moment. But, sadly, they had to go back inside for their next exam. They did that for the next days until they got finally freed of this moment.

Weeks later, Max, Beverly, Will, Mike, Lucas, and Dustin were back in school to receive their diplomas. Max was stressing, her mother wasn't even there, and the only person that she wanted to see wasn't here because she had to go to the city hall to see her results.

- "Don't worry, she told you she would come after," told Bev, seeing her friend preoccupied.

- "I know, I just hoped she could be here now, that's all."

Bev pouted and took her friend's hand to squeeze it. Max smiled to her, but she was still thinking about Jane. Max thought that Jane deserved a ceremony for working hard all this year. She was sure Jane would have hated it, but it was a bit gratifying to show everyone that you made it through this hell. The headmaster called her name, so Max went on the scene, but didn't wave at the people there, knowing that no one was caring about her. She got out of the scene as fast as possible, joining all her friends congratulating her. While the headmaster was finishing his speech, Max's attention got caught by the door of the building opening. Her face relaxed when she saw Jane entering with Hopper. The brunette frowned like if she could see better and looked around to search for her girlfriend. When she saw her, she smiled to her and shyly waved. Max showed her her diploma before asking about her with gestures to be understood. Jane raised her thumb and nodded. Max smiled as an answer. When the headmaster finally finished his speech, everyone joined their family, Max going directly to her girlfriend and hugging her.

- "I'm proud of you," told Max, breaking the hug.

- "Yeah, I'm proud of you too, you finally get out of this, that's cool," smiled Jane.

The redhead kissed her girlfriend before taking her mortarboard and placing it on Jane's head.

- "You deserve one too," said Max.

- "Yeah, I don't think so."

- "You graduated! Of course you deserve it!"

- "Yeah. You wanna see my diploma?"

- "Sure, show me!"

Jane searched her pockets before remembering it was in her bag. She found the paper and gave it to her girlfriend. Max opened it and smiled.

- "Nice, that's so cool!"

- "Yeah, I'm happy to have it, I achieved something good at least."

- "Yeah, you'll achieve other good things, I'm sure about it."

Jane smiled and leaned to kiss Max. The brunette still couldn't believe what she was feeling with her, this firework in her stomach was so much more pleasant than all the anger she accumulated all these years.

A few minutes later, there were more speech on the field by the important student of their generation. Jane stayed in the bleachers between Joyce and Jim. At the end, the persons in the bleachers stood to applause them while the teens were throwing their mortarboards in the air. Now that they graduated, they could go on prom peacefully, enjoying their last moment together.