Chapter 23 : A new home

Thanks to her salary, Max began to search a new apartment for her and, especially, to welcome Clarissa after her five years in jail. She hoped she would agree to stay with her, and that she was ok, but Blackbirds had a bad reputation, it was rare for an ex-prisoner to get used to the normal life again after this place. She spent the day visiting apartments with Beverly and Gabrielle, wanting their advice. At the end of the day, she chose the last one as it was the less expensive one. She just wanted to leave her house the faster possible, and the flat wasn't that bad. It wasn't very big and there was only one room, but, at least, she was far from her family and close to her job. When the owner told her she had it, she didn't wait more for leaving her house. She packed all her stuff with Lucas, Will, Mike, Beverly, Clara (a brown-haired girl more friend with the girls than the boys), Gabrielle, and Joyce while no one was at home. Dustin was working, but he promised he would join them when he could. Every time one of her friends was seeing the lock on her door, they had a bad shiver, not liking seeing this; they were relieved that she found a new apartment this fast. Even if there weren't lots of things, the apartment was a bit far, so Joyce proposed to place all her stuff in her house to give her enough time to empty her room before Neil or her mother showed up. The mother shuttled back and forth while the teens were packing everything. Once all gone, Max wrote a note and put it on the kitchen table before leaving this place with a satisfied smile. She hoped no one would ruin it this time, she was sure if she would fail a second time, Neil would lock her in her room for the end of her life. Anyway, now she was finally moving in her new apartment, helped by all her friends. Dustin was waiting for them in front of the building, as he promised.

- "Why do you have all these things?" grumbled Mike, holding a box.

- "I don't have that much, and it's the first box you take, you won't cry for this!" mocked the redhead.

- "Luckily for us, the apartment is furnished, we won't have to bring a couch by the stairs!" stated Lucas.

- "Yeah, good point for you," told the black-haired boy.

All the people there to help her were holding a box or more in their arms, following Max. The redhead opened a first door giving on a corridor before going in a courtyard where all the balconies of the flats were. They continued in another corridor, took the stairs, and finally arrived in front of the apartment. Max opened her door and invited them to enter.

On the right of the door, against the wall was the TV on a small piece of furniture, and a small bookcase. In the angle was a glass door giving on a balcony on the courtyard. On the right wall was a table with two chairs facing the wall, then the beginning of a kitchen. There was a recess between the right wall and the front wall, with the rest of the kitchen behind the front wall. On this front wall was the couch with a coffee table in front of it and then a door right in front of the front door. On the left wall was a coat rack, and a small table where Max would empty her pockets.

The redhead placed the cage of her rabbit next to this small table, against the wall, followed by Lucas and Will who were holding all the rabbit's stuff. She invited them to enter the door next to the couch to show them her bedroom.

Her desk was on the right angle with her wardrobe next to it. She put her skateboard under the window on the right wall. Her large bed was in the middle of the room against the front wall with a nightstand at each side. On the left was a door giving on the bathroom. The sink was facing the door with a cupboard above it with a mirror, a bath on the left, the toilet right next to the door on the left, and a piece of furniture on the right.

Joyce and the teens placed the boxes in Max's bedroom before looking around to discover the new place.

- "It's not luxury, but it's better than nothing," told Max.