Chapter 60 : Welcome back

Two months later. Jane spent two weeks in Joyce's house before going into a rehab for six weeks. It was her idea, thinking it was too much work for Joyce, not wanting to be a burden again for her. The mother visited her, same for Will, Bev, Hopper, Medhi, Mallory, Melissa, and even Max. The moments with Hopper were a bit awkward, both were still uncomfortable with the fact that they were father and daughter, they didn't really know what to do to become closer, but Jane was still glad to see him. Medhi, Mallory, and Melissa always came together, Medhi even gave her some advice to not give up, as he lived the same situation.

The doctors declared Jane able to continue her therapy outside the center. Joyce picked her up and went at the store with her.

- "You can choose something you want," smiled the mother.

- "Why?" frowned the brunette.

- "Because I'm proud of you, and I want to buy you something to congratulate you."

Jane nodded. Joyce walked away to do her own grocery shopping while Jane wandered between the different shelves. She didn't think she really deserved something to congratulate her, she just did what they asked her to do, nothing more. But being outside was a bit relieving and stressing at the same time; she hoped she would be able to live normally now. Well, she would have to go to different talking groups, but it would help her, and the Police found enough proofs to lock down Blackbirds, she was finally allowed to talk about it with a psychologist and a group with ex-prisoners. Things could only get better. She made a quick tour before taking something and joining Joyce who was waiting for her near the checkout.

- "A model airplane?" frowned Joyce.

- "Yeah, uh, it's not for me, it's just, it's almost Will's birthday and, uh, I saw that he likes models so...yeah, if it's ok, I would like to buy him this, I mean, he is like...my step-brother now that, well, Jim is my father, and you and him are...a thing so...yeah, um, but I don't have money as I just got out..."

- "It's ok, I'll pay for it, don't worry."

- "Thanks, I'll pay back when I can."

- "You don't have to, don't worry."

Joyce gently caressed Jane's cheek, a wide smile on her face and some tears in her eyes. She couldn't tell how much she was proud of her, of who she was now, Jane was so different. The brunette had a small smile too, she could see that Joyce was proud of her and she felt a pleasant warm inside her; she was proud of herself too and she was happy that Joyce could see that she wasn't the same anymore. But the woman and the young girl were cut by a boy that Jane didn't want to see again.

- "Franck is awake, in case you care," told angrily Ahmed.

The boy had one eye still working, his left arm was paralyzed, and he would need a crutch to walk all his life.

- "I don't," answered Jane who lost her smile.

- "Of course, you don't, you never cared about us!"

- "Very funny. It's not you who did everything to send me in jail!?"

- "It was his idea!"

- "But you participated. Get out of here now."

- "You are the shame of the Red Eagles!"

- "RED EAGLES DON'T EXIST ANYMORE!" yelled Jane. "I'm not a Red Eagle anymore, I don't give a fuck about all this shit! Live your life before I decide to tell the Police that you were there in the robbery!"

All this noise caught the entire store's attention, everyone was looking at them, waiting for something to happen.

- "If you do that, I'll tell them that you're our assaulters, you'll go back in jail," told Ahmed with a smug smile.

- "Oh yeah!? Then you know what you have to do!"

- "And what!?"

- "Prove it."

Joyce was going to intervene to be sure they wouldn't fight, but Jane didn't close her fists like usual, instead, she was touching her forefinger with her thumb, then her middle finger, then her ring finger, and then her little finger before doing it again; it was a very famous relaxation technique. Ahmed sucked his lip before nodding and leaving the store. The people around came back to their lives like if nothing happened, while Jane closed her eyes and began to focus on her breathing to calm herself. She still had anger issues, but she met people who gave her advice to control it. It was hard, but it wasn't impossible. A few minutes later, Jane finally opened her eyes. Joyce widely smiled to her before telling:

- "You made lots of progress, I'm proud of you."

Joyce put her hands on Jane's face and placed a soft kiss on her cheek. Once everything bought, they went back to Joyce's car in direction of the house. When Jane entered, she had the good surprised to see Will, Jim, Medhi, Mallory, Melissa, Beverly, and Max there waiting for her.

- "Welcome back!" told happily Mallory.

The blonde girl ran to her and took her in her arms, tightening the hug. Jane smiled and wrapped hers around her friend.

- "Why are you all here?" frowned Jane.

- "To see our stupid friend," answered Melissa.

- "Oh, really?"

- "I mean, she said "welcome back", what do you think that meant?" mocked Max.

- "I just wanted to be sure."

- "Yeah, our stupid friend," added the purple-haired girl.

Jane showed her middle finger before breaking the hug and taking Melissa in her arms. She did the same with Medhi, Bev, and Max. The hug with Max was longer than with the others. The two girls became closer during those last weeks; Max visited her as often as she could, giving some private moments between them, but without kissing, keeping it for their first date. It was hard because they both wanted to kiss each other, but they made it, and now they would be able to go on a date as soon as possible.

- "So, what do we eat?" asked Jane while breaking the hug.

- "What you will cook," told Medhi.

- "Of course I cook, I should have known it!"

- "It's always you who cook!"

- "I know, I know, but I'll need some hands!"

- "Why do you think we are all here? We know you are lost without us," joked Melissa.

- "Yeah, that's true."

Jane proposed burgers which pleased everyone. All the teens pitched in to help Jane preparing the burgers while Joyce stayed back with Hopper, giving them some space and admiring the relationship they built even if they had a bad beginning. She was proud of all of them, all the bad things were just past now.