Chapter 29 : A new baby face

Since Hopper and Joyce went to this Deathmatch, they both avoided the subject, but none of them stopped thinking about it. Joyce was totally furious about this secret organization using human beings as a game.

Hopper was feeling so bad about this; he saw Jane growing up like this, and he couldn't stop blaming himself for not doing enough. He had many opportunities to help her in the past, but he never did, always thinking that she was strong and that she would make it by her own, but now, she killed this woman cold-bloodedly.

Joyce was beginning to think that the center where she used to work wasn't as helping as she thought. Majority of the girls she had finished in jail, in the streets, or totally disappeared. She helped no one. Her work was worthless. All she had were bruises, spits, fights, and black eyes.

- "(clears his throat) Are you ok?" asked Will.

The two adults lightly startled, realizing they were eating at the dinner with the young boy.

- "Yeah, sorry buddy," weakly smiled Hopper.

- "You are weird since you went to this thing, what happened?"

- "Nothing," answered too quickly Joyce. "It's nothing, don't worry for us. We just...we just need to figure something out, that's all."

- "Ok, I hope you'll do it soon, I don't like seeing you like that."

- "Don't worry for us, you should worry more for your grades!"

- "My grades are fine, Mom," chuckled Will.

- "We should go, you're going to be late at Mike's."

The young boy nodded. They all stood, paid, and left the dinner. On their way back home, they let Will at Mike's before staying in a heavy silent all the ride. None of them wanted to begin the conversation, but they needed to take a weight off their minds. The two adults arrived in Joyce's house and both looked at each other with the same thing in mind.

- "We should talk about it," said the man.

- "How something like that is possible!?" began angrily Joyce. "This is...crazy! Those people were like animals! No, not even animals, worse, not like if they were feeling things! I'm furious at this! We need to do something!"

- "Yeah, but what!? If we talk, they'll know it's us, do you really wanna take the risk to lose Will!? You saw what they're capable of, what do you think they could do to your son!?"

- "I KNOW!"

The woman rubbed her face while Hopper sighed with his nose.

- "What do we do?" asked Joyce.

- "Nothing."

- "Nothing!?"

- "There is nothing we can do! I don't like that either, but we have no proofs, just our testimonies, it won't be enough against them."

- "Yeah...yeah, you're right."

The two adults were cut by Hopper's phone ringing. Apparently, the same group of teens just did another robbery. The man kissed his girlfriend and left to go on the scene. The description of the assaulters was the same as usual, but this time, there was a fifth person wearing a baby mask. Apparently, Jane was back in town and had already taken up her old habits again. Once he took all the testimonies, the man decided to check Jane's aunt's apartment.

- "What do you want!?" snapped Cassandra at her door.

- "Uh, is Jane here?" asked Hopper.

- "Jane!? You have Alzheimer!? You forgot that you sent her in jail last September!?"

- "Uh...Some people identified her this morning in a robbery."

- "Well, they are wrong! She can't be everywhere!"

While Cassandra and Hopper were talking, Jane was laying down in her bed, searching for something to watch. Because of the pain and the nightmares, Jane couldn't sleep normally. She was so tired that it was having an impact on her mood, she was feeling sad today and was looking for something comforting. She channel-surfed on the TV, which was on her desk, and found Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She hesitated but didn't change, it was soft and sweet so, why not. Nobody would ever now anyway, she wasn't taking too much risk. She heard Cassandra slamming the door and couldn't hold a smirk of satisfaction. Maybe her aunt wasn't very sane, but, at least, she was a good liar. The woman entered in Jane's room so quickly that the brunette got surprised and just barely had the time to change the channel.

- "You never knock!?" grumbled Jane.

- "Sorry, I wanted to tell y—(looks at the TV) God, this girl is very flexible! Is this a real position? (shakes her head) Anyway, apparently, some people saw you robbing a shop this morning, and the cop, you know, the one that always arrest you—"

- "Jim?"

- "Yeah, maybe. Well, this guy directly came here, whereas he knows you're in jail. You don't think it's weird?"

- "Maybe. I don't really care, I can't fucking move, I've nothing to do with it, now get out of my room before I kill you!" got angry Jane.

She grabbed a plate with a piece of chocolate cake that her aunt brought her (but Jane wasn't very hungry since she was out of jail) and threw it in direction of the woman. The plate exploded on the wall just next to Cassandra's head. The woman quickly closed the door, letting Jane alone. The brunette was too angry to watch TV now, she switched it off and rubbed her face. She was so bored that it was making her angry. And throwing this plate hurt her ribs a bit more. She really needed to heal rapidly to finally take her revenge on her old group. By an unknown way, they managed to learn that she was out, and now they were trying to bring her back in jail, but they apparently didn't know that she was unable to move, it could be a good point for her.

- "CASS'!" called Jane.

The woman quickly stood from her couch and opened the door.

- "Yes?"

- "Next time a cop asks you to see me, let him enter."

- "But I thought—"

- "Things have changed. Jim will certainly come back."

- "Ok, I'll do that. Anything else?"

- "Yeah, bring me other packs of ice."

- "Sure," smiled the woman.

While Cassandra was bringing her the packs, Jane was wondering if leaving jail was really a good idea; everything was so different now, she had nothing to do, she didn't know if she wanted to be like before. No, she would be worse, people would fear Crazy Jane.