Chapter 51 : War

Jane spent the next days training. She didn't drink alcohol or took drugs, she did sport every day, she trained at shooting, climbing, running, fighting, and all those things that could help her to survive and to not get caught by the police. Now she was with all the gangs, guns in their hands, ready to fight for their "family". Leonard was giving them the last instructions, but the only thing that Jane remembered was that they had to shoot everyone, something like that. Even if only pussies were wearing bulletproof vest, Jane hid one under her jacket. She had two knifes, a gunshot, a gun, a sub-machine gun, and ammunitions in her bag (where she put some private stuff, in case she had to run away). She had leather gloves to not let fingerprints everywhere.

Jane was with a group she didn't know. She wasn't the leader, she was a follower, for her biggest pleasure. It was Leonard's way to punish her. She didn't care, she wasn't sure she would be a good leader for this. They entered a house where a family of Blue Wolves was sleeping. When the father woke up, he grabbed his gun and shot Jane in her belly. The girl was projected against the wall, breaking the small table which was there. She stood as fast as possible and managed to hit his head before he could kill her. She was glad she had her bulletproof vest because she was sure none of them would run to help her, they would have let her die there. When she went back downstairs, four people had their skull exploded on the ground which was covered of blood.

- "You killed him!?" asked the leader of the group.

- "Of course," answered sharply Jane.

- "Let's go, some barkers heard about our plan, they think they have a chance against us."

The group ran outside while Jane gave a last look of the cadavers. When she arrived at the door, it was a mess outside. In a few minutes, the calm streets became a real battlefield: houses were in fire, people were screaming of pain and terror, bleeding on the ground while the others were shooting at each other like if all of this was normal. Why wasn't she thinking it was normal? She was supposed to think it was normal! What was wrong with her!? She took a moment to breath and to evaluate the situation. There was no plan anymore, now the only goal was just to survive. She walked to the road, managed to avoid a car by next to nothing which was running through people, saw a man cut in twice, and kept walking. There were pieces of bodies everywhere, guts as decoration, and explosions of grenades. One of them exploded right next to her, throwing her away. Her ears were buzzing, and her vision was blurry; she could feel a hot liquid running on her cheek. It was the apocalypse; she had nothing to do here, it wasn't her war anymore. She found some strength and stood with difficulties. She was done, and the sirens approaching convinced her. She dropped all her guns and began to run away as far as possible. She couldn't take the risk to be caught so she went to the closest apartment she knew. When she arrived, she hammered the door. The person barely had the time to open that Jane pushed them to enter, slammed the door, and put her body against it like if it could avoid anyone to enter.

- "Jane, what the fuck!? Get out of here! I don't fucking wanna see you right now!" yelled Max. "I can't believe you; I can't believe you! This must be a joke! You really think you're welcomed here!? Go fuck yourself! You're a fucking mess with no heart!"

When Max turned again to the other girl, Jane was sitting against the door, breathing heavily with her mouth, and being abnormally pale. She was covered of dirt and her left ear and right arm were bleeding. The redhead crouched next to her and placed her hand on her leg.

- "Damn, you're shaking! What happened?"

But Jane didn't answer; she kept looking around. Max put her hands on the girl's cheeks and forced to look at her.

- "Jane, calm down, you're safe here, relax, I won't kick you out, ok? Try to calm down while I take my first aid kit, ok?"

Jane's eyes were empty, like if she wasn't really here. Max stood and quickly went to her bathroom to take her first aid kit, some towels, and a tray of water. She took off Jane's gloves and raised her jacket sleeve. By luck, it wasn't a deep wound on Jane's right arm, meaning that a bandage was enough to stop the bleeding. She cleaned her face the best she could and put some dressings on the other girl's cuts. She took off her shoes and socks, discovering a tattoo on her right foot with a name on it. She managed to extract Jane's arms from her bag and jacket and saw a bulletproof vest with a hole in it. The vision of the bullet still there turned her blood to ice; Jane had been very lucky. She took off the vest, slowly raised the tee-shirt, and noticed a big purple bruise on her belly.

- "Come on Jane, let's put some ice on it," said softly the redhead.

She helped the brunette to stand and to sit on the couch before going in her kitchen to find a pack of ice that she put in a towel before placing it on Jane's belly.

- "Jane? Can you hear me?"

The brunette, who was slowly coming back to earth, nodded. Max felt relieved to finally have an interaction with her, it was so scary to see her like that, and she didn't really know what to do to make her feel better.

- "What's happening outside? Why there are gunshots, explosions, screams, and the army? Were you there?"

- "I doubted of myself..."

- "What does that mean?"

- "I don't know..."

- "Is it your gang who is shooting everywhere?"

- "Yeah...to take territories..."

- "Why didn't you stay with them? I thought that was what you were."

- "I don't wanna go back in there..." said Jane in a low voice.

- "Jane, I can't keep you here."

- "Why not?"

- "Because you fucking manipulate me to kiss me and then mock me with your friends!" stated Max.

- "I didn't mock you, I told nobody!"

- "Really? Why?"

- "They don't need to know."

- "Why did you kiss me then?"

Jane shrugged.

- "I meant it when I said I was burying the hatchet, I still do," added the brunette.

Max nodded. She brought her something to drink and something to eat; she really thought she was going to collapse. When she sat again next to her, she couldn't resist to softly caress her cheek. She was wondering if she kissed her because she actually wanted it. It didn't make sense, after everything that happened between them, they couldn't just kiss and act like if nothing happened before!

- "You can stay here for tonight, and we'll see tomorrow what to do, ok?"

- "Ok. Thank you."

Max proposed her to take a shower while she was preparing the couch for her. Jane accepted, even if she struggled because of her bruise. The adrenalin was decreasing, and her entire body was hurting now. When she finished, she collapsed on the couch and immediately fell asleep. Max searched in her stuff and found an old Teddy bear. She placed it next to Jane's head, in case the girl needed something to cuddle. She didn't know if she would be able to sleep with all the scary noise outside, so she just laid down in her bed and put a movie on her laptop, letting her tiredness doing the work.