Chapter 46 : Nightmare

Max got woken up by screams coming from her bedroom. She didn't move immediately, first because she was unable to understand what was happening, but especially because it stopped. Now she was hearing murmurs. For her peace of mind, she decided to see what all this noise was. She lightly knocked before entering. Jane was panting on the bed, her face in her hands, while Mallory was rubbing her back with a worried expression.

- "Is everything ok?" asked Max.

- "Yeah, everything is fine! You don't see!?" answered angrily Jane.

- "Jane, take a breath," said softly the blonde girl.

- "Taking a breath never solved problems!"

- "I know! I just want you to calm down!"

- "You can take some air on the balcony if you want," intervened Max.

- "Yeah, it's a good idea, and take your cigarettes."

Jane sighed loudly with her mouth, took the pack of cigarettes in her pants, and went on the balcony to smoke, letting the two other girls alone.

- "Are you ok?" asked Max.

- "Yeah, yeah, she scared the shit out of me!"

- "Yeah...It's the first time?"

- "I don't know, I mean, when she was younger, she already had nightmares, but lately I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if it's every night, she looks so tired..."

Max just nodded, making softly smile the blonde girl.

- "I'm sorry, it's hard for me to have compassion for her," clumsily told the redhead.

- "I understand, it's fine. I have too much compassion for her anyway, she is the little sister."

- "The what? Wait, you are sisters?"

- "No," lightly chuckled Mallory. "But she is the youngest of the group, I mean, Melissa and Medhi are the oldest, then me, and then her, we're like brothers and sisters, we promised to always take care of each other."

- "That's a good thing, right? I mean, when you can't count on your family, it's relieving to count on your friends, right?"

- "I guess. Well, Medhi's and Melissa's families were not bad, they were cool."

- "Were?"

- "Medhi's parents died, and his brother...well, he finished in Blackbirds..."

- "Like Jane?"

- "Yep, that's why we keep an eye on her, we don't want her to do the same thing as him, it would be too hard."

- "Um...Is it too curious to ask what he did?"

- "He killed himself."

- "Oh, shit, I'm sorry..."

- "It's fine, it's done, we learn to live with it...Melissa's parents died too, and now she is taking care of her sick grand-father with her grand-mother. It's tiring."

- "None of you have uncles or aunts to stay with?"

- "No, well, Medhi had, but when he told them he was gay, they all decided to sever all contact."

- "Oh, that's hard...And with Jane, it's not a problem?"

- "It's complicated."

Max pursed her lips and nodded. She didn't know why this girl was telling her all of this, maybe she was expecting her to forgive Jane, but it would never happen. Or maybe she just needed to talk to someone who was out of all of this. Mallory stood to join her friend on the balcony. Max noticed that Jane's side was soaked, so she decided to change the sheet.