Chapter 48 : Ice cream

After school, Beverly and Max decided to spend some time at the mall, to change a bit their mind from school or work. They took the bus and had the surprise to see Jane there too. Max wasn't very happy to see her, but Bev had a smile so cute that Max didn't complain or prevent her from talking to her, and Jane seemed sad, maybe some company wouldn't be a bad idea. Beverly sat next to her with a smile while the brunette just turned her head with no emotion.

- "How are you?" asked Bev.

Jane shrugged.

- "You're pale, you didn't sleep?"

- "Not that much," mumbled Jane.

- "You took drugs or things like that?" asked Max with a tone sharper than she wanted.

- "No. I wasn't alone."

- "Oh, that kind of night."

- "Exactly."

- "Why do you look so sad then?"

- "It's not gonna last."

- "Oh, you're in love?" frowned Bev with a small smile.

- "No."

- "What's not gonna last then?"

- "My situation, it's not gonna last."

Max frowned and shook her head of desperation for her while Beverly had a sad face, feeling sorry for her.

- "You wanna hang out with us?" proposed Bev.

Max closed her eyes and sighed with her nose, beginning to hate her best friend.

- "No, it's not my kind of things," answered Jane.

- "Come on, it's gonna be fun!" insisted Bev.

- "No, I don't want to be the third wheel."

- "Ok, it's as you want, you have all the ride to think about it. If you would be an imaginary creature, what would you be?"

- "Bev, you really need to stop with your weird questions!" lightly grumbled Max.

- "Come on, it's funny, and it's more original than asking for her favorite color, favorite food, and things like that!"

- "Yeah, I just don't think Jane is interested by this!"

- "Why don't you let her answer? She is not the kind to be at a loss of words! So, Jane?"

- "I, I don't know, I mean, who thinks of that?" frowned Jane.

- "Bev, apparently!"

- "Me, I would like to be a dragon," smiled Bev.

- "A bit common, no?"

- "Dragons are cool! They can fly and blow fire! What about you?"

- "A sphinx," answered Max.

- "A sphinx? Really?"

- "Have you seen them!? They are creepy as fuck, that's so cool!"

- "What the hell? That's so fucking weird," chuckled Beverly. "You still have no idea, Jane?"

- "Well, why not being, uh, a phoenix," answered the brunette.

- "Oh, a phoenix, that's cool, why?"

- "Because, they reborn all the time to have a new life, a different life, like if they always had a second chance to be someone else."

- "To rise from the ashes, I like the idea of a second chance," smiled Max.