Traitors and Training

On the rocky shores of a sea cave.

Two earthbenders were engaging in a skillful dance while Toph grinned as she moved backwards with her broken arm still in a cast.

Ling charged her with a much more serious countenance as they engaged in a series of blows.

Blows that stung greatly.

But never came close to seriously wounding the other.

"You're good. No...you're great. I've never sparred with another earthbender anywhere near as good as you!" Toph exclaimed in a relaxed voice as she stood in a defensive stance while Ling's lips curved into an amicable smirk.

"I could say the same for you...Toph Beifong." Ling spoke in a composed voice with an earthen shield in hand as she stared back at her unusual training partner.

As Toph grinned back at her as she gestured for her to come forward once more.

"Well, what are you waiting for, Princess? Come at me." Toph taunted as she sunk back on bare feet while she listened to the sound of the older woman elegantly sprinting towards her.

And then Ling leaped high into the air with her hair flowing in the air behind her as she dropped down above the stationary woman.

And just like that another thunderous explosion of rock echoed throughout the massive cave as the two fighters slid back in the wet dirt.

Only to dash towards one another not a moment later.

And so, it went.

For the rest of the day.

Until they sat panting on the ground beside one another while they both breathed heavily in their exhaustion.

"Your bending style...it's something else." Toph stated in a tired voice as she sat with her back to Ling while the princess panted behind her.

"Yes...my father created it. It's a blend of the Hung Gar style and the Praying Mantis style." Ling responded in a proud voice with her hair sticking to her face while the younger woman grinned over her shoulder at her.

"I surmised as much." Toph commented with a hand on her tired knee while she sensed the princess turn around to gaze at her.

"It's a style that requires the user to exercise even more patience than the others. The user must enshroud themselves in lightweight earthen armor...and counterattack when the opportunity presents itself...just like in the aforementioned styles. However, every step is calculated...so self-control is key." Ling explained as her earthen armor continued to crumble off her body while the other woman listened in amazement.

It took a great deal to astonish Toph Beifong.

But the daughter of the former Earth King managed to do just that.

"It varies from the other styles in that it relies more on earthbending imitating of conventional weaponry to achieve victory than the more traditional blocks and boulders." Ling remarked as she gazed at Toph's impressed face with a prideful smile on her lips.

"That's amazing. It really is. But even so...I think that it might be far too elegant for my tastes. No offense!" Toph conversed with an easy-going grin on her lips while she listened to Ling chuckle behind her.

"None taken! I suspected that you might say that." Ling quipped as the remains of her armor and shield eroded to the damp cave floor below.

"Even though we've only been training for a few days now...you're already picking up on the basics in metalbending." Toph stated in a fascinated voice as she peered in the general direction of her proud training partner.