Evening Out

Mai sighed heavily from where she sat overlooking an ocean-side meadow.

She was currently gazing off to the side from where Elle knelt still searching for a proper flower for Azula.

'Damn them for abandoning me...does this girl think of anything that isn't Azula?' Mai thought while scrunching her brows up in disbelief while the girl continued to pour over the flower field.

And she couldn't exactly just cut the girl loose like she could anyone else.

Ty Lee and comically enough Azula, would surely kill her.

"Okay. I have to ask. What are your interests besides Azula?" Mai questioned in her typical voice while peering at the petite girl's back.

"Um...I like to paint!" Elle exclaimed while Mai leaned forward on her elbows somewhat taken aback by that answer.

She hadn't pegged the girl for a painter.

"About what?" Mai pondered in a mildly curious voice.

"Primarily Azula-sama." Elle commented while the sound of Mai slapping her own face with her hand echoed throughout the air.

"Why am I not surprised. But seriously. What beside Azula?" Mai continued in a bored tone while gazing off into the distance.

"I like to write poems. Also, about Azula-sama." Elle answered innocently while Mai groaned from beneath her palm.

"Right..." Mai trailed off as she eyed the girl closely.

Even if it was solely about Azula, it was still impressive that a girl her age was into both poetry and painting.

"I used to enjoy reading comics. But I haven't had any access to new reading material since I arrived. I don't exactly have any money..." Elle admitted while the noblewoman turned to her surprised by the non-Azula related hobby.

It was something anyhow...until Azula ordered a comic series to be created as tribute to her with her as the main character...

"You haven't been paid yet?" Mai inquired while inwardly wondering if Azula would be cruel enough to keep the girl as a slave instead of the standard paid servant.

"I get paid? I thought my pay was a roof and the pleasure of serving the princess." Elle answered with genuine awe in her voice while Mai stared at her for what seemed like a long moment.

"There isn't much pleasure in serving Azula. At least...not for most. But yes...you do get paid." Mai informed while gazing on in a faint amusement when the girl's face brightened immensely.

"If I get paid then I can buy Her Highness a gift!" Elle cheered with delight in her eyes while Mai stared at her in even further bafflement.

"What? Why would you spend all of your pay just to get Azula a gift? She is spoiled enough as it is kid." Mai muttered while running a hand through her hair.

"I wonder what I should get her...hm." Elle pondered while holding a finger to her lip thoughtfully with the woman's words soaring over her head.

"I suppose in your case...slave and servant are one and the same." Mai commented while still peering at the small blonde in a deadpan manner while the girl fumbled through the flowers.

"Would Azula-sama like a golden flower?" Elle asked while peering over her shoulder at the annoyed woman.

'Azula...I am going to kill you.' Mai thought as she began to tap her fingers with her eyes shimmering in irritation.

"She is quite difficult to please. To say the least. But you seem quite adept at making her happy." Mai responded with as much patience as she could muster.